Wizards in Groups on Phinny.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by TLP Addict, Nov 4, 2016.

1. TLP Addict Augur

I've been wanting to level a Wizard to 60 to raid with, but never quite got there, have one gathering dust but still a ways off of max level though.

When I scan the LFG list I often see 6 or 7 level 60 Wizards LFG during prime time.

Are they just addicted to AoE groups and knocking back other more traditional group configs, or are they being overlooked by groups in favor of other DPS classes?

Curious to know if I am going to have a rough time LFG or not, everyone wants Wizards when it's raid time, or they need a port. But do they want one in their level 60 (non AoE) AA grinding group?
  2. Madlez New Member

Id love a good wizard in my AA grind groups tbh. DPS is DPS. Dont really care what class you bring aslong as you perform well
  3. Finnster Elder

wizards have only 1 role: dps. When I'm looking for a replacement in a group and I see a wizard and a rogue LFG, then I will choose the rogue if:
    - we don't have a real taunter.
    - might need this dps to go on pulling duty
    - we're not in a static camp, but roaming through the zone.

As a wizard you will be top dps if you can sit on your horse, get hit by bard mana song and can nuke as hard as you want without worrying about drawing aggro. And the group will love you for that.
  4. Finnster Elder

wizards have only 1 role: dps. When I'm looking for a replacement in a group and I see a wizard and a rogue LFG, then I will choose the rogue if:
    - we don't have a real taunter.
    - might need this dps to go on pulling duty
    - we're not in a static camp, but roaming through the zone.

As a wizard you will be top dps if you can sit on your horse, get hit by bard mana song and can nuke as hard as you want without worrying about drawing aggro. And the group will love you for that.
  5. Maybach99 New Member

To OP: I've never heard of anyone saying "dont get a wizard because _____" plus you cant deny the benefit you get to sit in Nexus and punt people and make plat while you're on LFG, which might be why you're seeing them specifically sitting in LFG.

to Quote: ...what? As a Rogue, the only condition I'm not pulling aggro every mob is if we have a taunt tank. Especially Epic'd. The tank has to be significantly more geared than I am to keep aggro. I've never been asked to pull as a Rogue nor have I ever been in a group that invited a Rogue to pull, if this is a thing its new to me.
  6. Vykk Lorekeeper

Wizard has generally the same LFG experience as any other DPS. If you sit in Nexus with LFG on and expect a group to find you it will take a while. If you actively travel to XP zones and talk to groups in progress saying "Hey let me know if a spot opens" you'll get one reasonably quick. The LFG tool is nice, but the old school put-me-on-the-list is more effective in my experience. You introduce yourself to those players, let them know you're nearby, and make their LFM process easier.

If you start the group yourself it's even better because a medding wizard has plenty of time to manage advloot and finding replacements. The XP grind is more about effort than class.
  7. Coach_Kegadin Augur

At this point in the game I'll take a wizard over any other class as long as I have an enchanter in the group (regular or AoE). With current mana regen they rarely run oom.
  8. Tore Lorekeeper

I do feel kind of bad for leveling wizards. I suppose it's not a bad class if you want to ninja afk every other pull to clean the house or something though, nobody will even notice.
  9. superman Augur

As a main wizard, Luclin has been a game changer for groups for us imo. from 50 to 60 in kunark i self made almost every single group i was in to get to 60. With aa/horse regen/FT gear I never have a hard time at all finding a group. But i can see it being hard to get to 60..
    Tern likes this.
  10. malaki Augur

Wizards are monsters!
  11. Soon Augur

As a puller, I would prefer rogue over wiz in group because the dmg from rogue is more steady so I can time my pulls. Good wizards are good too but it seems I have bad lucks on finding a non-ninja afk wizards most of the time.
  12. Rothj Augur

I feel like people like wizards, or the concept of them, so people are giving you false answers on what's actually going on. The reality is that group's will tolerate wizards leveling up but don't actively want them. The main reasons are simple:

1) mages and necros do amazing dps and don't have to med to do it. on tough pulls their pet will be consistent along with dots in necros case. Melee generally have great gear and again do consistently good dps and are tanky. Lastly, other options bring better utility.

2) most wizards burn all their mana on irrelevant targets or fights, making them basically useless. Mob running away at 20% hp while snared? Perfect time to use your most mana intensive nuke! Not really. If wizards played better and used spells at actually necessary times theyd be more popular. Most people just sit and throw some spells out, and they don't really help the group or bring any utility. on tough pulls you generally cant count on a wizard, even though that's when they should shine.
  13. superman Augur

Yea I've seen necro's DoT a mob with 30% health too, using the phrase "most wizards" from the anecdotal view point you started your post with is a little misleading. People play every class terrible. I don't think wizard's hold any sacred ground there.

Also in group setting I don't really feel like a necro does "amazing dps" at all, (not saying they are a bad addition) mobs just die to fast for that to be true. but mind wrack gives me more mana to nuke with so it balances out :)

The thing with melee is they aren't always dps'ing if auto attack is off they aren't contributing, caster dps on the other hand can be stored (as mana) and then concentrated (as a nuke). this doesn't make melee dps better (or worse) it just makes it situational. It depends on the group setup and kill pace as to which one is better.

Overall i'm sorry you've grouped with bad/unefficient wizard's cause as Malaki said

"WE ARE MONSTERS"
    Tern likes this.
  14. Bumamgar_Phinny New Member

Wiz have a bad rep on Phinny, and anecdotally, while leveling up, I never had a good experience with them. The impression is that Wiz go AFK a lot and basically just nuke occasionally.

With parsing being very common these days, it's easy to spot who's contributing and who's slacking, so people don't have a lot of tolerance for wizards who don't properly manage mana/aggro to do steady high DPS on mobs. Sadly, it seems that many wizzies fall into that category.
  15. TLP Addict Augur

Yeah I don't doubt the bad rep that Wizards have, it's a rough life, been having a hard time finding groups, especially with there often being other Wizards LFG in my level range at same time.

I see Ninja afking being a problem for lots of classes sadly, it's not something I do but I can't help other members of a class trashing the reputation.

I try to squeeze as much damage as I can out of the mana I have but tend to be constrained by tank aggro, anecdotally it seems a hell of a lot of them while leveling have poor aggro, not using mana efficient high aggro spells like cease/desist or clinging darkness, or warriors that don't aug their weapons or buy the provoke disc. I'm trying to squeeze as much xp out of this weekend as I can and get as close to 60 before looking for a guild, but it's rough, so much dps LFG :(
  16. Warrior007 53 61 74 6f 73 68 69

I'm disappointed Bum, I thought I made a memorable, positive impression when I visited you in Maiden's Eye

In all seriousness, a good wizard should always be a favored DPS asset in any group. AE groups will spoil wizards, it's tough to go back to the standard grind.
  17. malaki Augur

I see how it is.
    Warrior007 likes this.
  18. TLP Addict Augur

Yeah at this point I'm ready to give up on the class, just too hard to get into a decent group when playing one compared to even something like a Ranger that has more utility and flexibility in role.

Either that or start boxing a more essential char and making my own groups, hmmm
  19. Sidefx New Member

The best advice I can give you is to always use a 15% mana pres item. Luckily you can get one summoned by a mage. Nifty little earring that I used for raiding in VT/grouping when I discovered it. Bauble is in the name, sorry I can't be more specific. Also, get fire/ice mana pres potions made and use em - they help so much for grinding levels/aa's/raiding.
  20. SqueeshSqueesh Augur

Those do not stack with worn mana preservation