Wizard plus what tank for 2 box

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Ziffiz, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Ziffiz New Member

My main is a wizard and I would like to box one other character (tank) to change my playstyle. Wizard solo is a kiting game, but that limits what content you can do. I would like to use a tank box of course with healer merc to do more content. Im worried about how much attention the tank will take and if he can keep agro off the wizard. Appreciate any advice.
  2. Brohg Augur

Magician earth pet is the tank that requires the least attention
  3. Cicelee Augur

Of the three specific tank classes in the game, I would say the warrior would take the least amount of attention in order to be successful. However the magician earth pet would require not only the least amount of attention, but also the least amount of gear to out tank content (just need a focus earring).

Your problem unfortunately is that your main is a non tank that requires attention. Considering all tank classes in the game require attention, unless you have side by side computers where you can hit hotkeys for both at the same time, it is going to be challenging to box a wizard and any other class and give both the attention they need (at least minimally)...
  4. Millianna Augur

Wizard + SK is a classic combo. Wizards don't require too much attention and the SK has pulling options. However, boxing a tank can be difficult. My SKs DPS is between 20 and 30% lower when boxing my SK. An SK is also raid useless. I would honestly go the route suggested as long as both accounts are gold. A mages pet needs his AAs.
  5. kookoo Augur

wizard and mage are easy to play and require low attention, , send pet and click hot key , same for wiz.
    could give pet some summoned agro weapons,
    and with mage you got pulling covered ( with COH ) .
    can pull with wiz, cast either snare or root on the one you don't want and get a coh to clear agro, and pick the mob you want after.
  6. code-zero Augur

I suggest pairing an enchanter, druid or bard with the wizard and using tank merc + healer merc.
  7. Drogba Augur

lol.
  8. Millianna Augur

There was a bit of sarcasm with that post. However, if your going to box a tank then main the tank. Too much effort goes into gearing a tank to make a box worthwhile. If you're going to raid with a tank your better off with a war or pal. I would still suggest a mage box, but a bard or ench wouldn't be a bad choice.
  9. Silentchaos Augur

Can enchanters tank still? If so that's a really underrated tankbox option.
  10. Brohg Augur

they can, Silentchaos, but it's significantly less easy than it was. The rune spells were nerfed for cast time & cooldown
  11. sarongor New Member

When boxing my wizard I tank with a paladin. The paladin stun spells complement wizard DPS nicely. I have only played this combo up to level 65 so I cannot comment on how it works at higher levels.
  12. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

If you set up good macros for the two characters, it can work quite well. There are lots of people who have at one time or another used a mercenary Wizard to provide extra DPS while stun locking mobs. The only problem is (depending on how you box your characters) alt-tabbing back and forth to cast the spells.

If a mob is can be single pulled and stunned, then it's trivial to do at high levels. It might take a while, and the Paladin might have to heal themself during the fight, or root the mob and back out to cast spells but if done correctly, it fairly simple to do.
  13. Skewert Lorekeeper

What did you end up going with? How's it working out?
  14. Sagarmatha Augur

This is terrible information and simply untrue. Wizards are insanely easy to box unless you're or have no arms. Even then, Wizards are easy to box. Two or three simple macros will make any tank a DPS machine (mine is a Shadowknight). Of the tanks, I've found that my SK is slightly better at holding aggro if my Wizard gets a string of crits. I have a Warrior and Paladin as well, but the SK seems to take the best of both worlds- the aggro management of the Warrior, and the self healing of the Paladin.
  15. Brohg Augur

crits don't, and never have, effected agro.
    Tucoh and Bigstomp like this.
  16. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

Yes, we do. If you want to maximize dps bursts, then wizard wouldn't be a good choice. However, if you just wanna be able to go pew pew sometimes and be able to port your box around, sure.
  17. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I've been boxing a wizard and warrior for quite a while. At the point I am now (lvl 106 with TBM and EoK t1 gear), the warrior holds aggro without any problem while I chain nuke on the wizard. Twincasting can lead to pulling aggro, but that is with the warrior pulling the mob(s), using some initial hate generators and defensive abilities, and then me switching to the wizard for basically the rest of the fight.

I run two healer mercs most of the time, if the content is at least somewhat challenging, but I can run the CotF HAs with just one healer merc and a dps merc in burn mode.

I started boxing this pair before mercs in the old days (DoN era), but that was when I had a regular group. I didn't really do anything with just the two of them until I came back a year ago and had mercs to go with them. Leveling from 75 to 105 wasn't that hard.
  18. fransisco Augur

Agro on their runes has also been significantly lowered.
    Enchanters can take a few hits, but I wouldn't say they can tank fill the tank roll (in group gear). For half of a fight sure, but not continually.
  19. Brohg Augur

They can.
  20. IblisTheMage Augur

Enchanter sounds like a fun challenge. With enough AA, their pet can tank trash, maybe low tier nameds. Not sure it would get you through progression, neither would wiz + mage alone. The three combined I would trust, but a SK sounds like a better option with 2-box.