Wizard merc mana regen

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by paleface, Aug 30, 2015.

1. paleface New Member

Hello,

I rolled a paladin and hired a wizard merc, since the melee damage merc had much lower dps. But what i noticed is wiz merc is out of mana really fast, and he doesn't even sit to regen out of combat, like cleric mers do.
    After several minutes of killing, i have to wait for another several minutes for wiz merc to regen mana.

My question is - is wiz merc mana regen always a problem, or do they get a much better regen at higher levels? I'm using a J1 merc, only lvl 13 paladin now..
  2. Brohg Augur

way better. Not that they never run out, but you have to be pushing awfully darned hard for 30 minutes or so to do it to them.
    paleface likes this.
  3. paleface New Member

Thank you Brohg
  4. Andronicus Elder

How! Paleface!:)

But, seriously. Since you're level 13 I will suggest that you use a TANK MERC until you are level 60ish.

Regardless of class, even for tanks, it's much easier to level and kill with a tank merc up to about 60.
    Borek-VS likes this.
  5. Borek-VS Augur

Use a tank merc for now. Same as for the healer mercs, caster mercs don't need to sit to regain, it is purely cosmetic.
  6. Bytor New Member

Hi All,

Might be off topic, if it is - sorry OP. It was mentioned above to use a tank merc instead of dps merc up to 60 even if you are a tank class. I run a shadow knight and my friend a cleric and we both use dps mercs since i am tanking (albeit slowly...). Is a tank merc really better dps than the dps caster merc? I notice sometimes that the dps merc casts concussion over and over instead of a nuke and then it takes forever to kill the mob, and then other times they will cast good dps nukes and the mob goes down fast. Should we keep with the 2 dps mercs or switch to 2 tank mercs, a tank and backup healer, or tank and dps?

Thanks for any info.

Bytor
  7. Brohg Augur

Dps caster mercenaries, when set to Balanced, will attempt to scale their damage to the tank's agro, by casting a lot of crappy spells. You can mitigate this by having sky-high agro to let them nuke a lot and still be under you on the agro list. If you're a subscriber, you can use Journeyman mercs with the Burn setting. In that mode, they'll go ballzout and it's on you & the cle to keep them alive.

Tank mercenaries are recommended at low levels because their dps - not more than dps mercs - is double+ most player characters through those levels, and at the same time they're not ever running out of mana, and they take all the damage and only barely need healing until level 60 or so.
  8. Roxxanna Augur

Use the melee dps on burn till 20, then switch to wiz burn.
  9. Borek-VS Augur

As Brohg says, tank mercs can g all day (at low levels) with no heal. Caster mercs don't quite as well on the no heals front, and have to stop and med. I've tested it at low levels, and the tank merc just levels you faster.

As you level, the tank merc gets (relatively) weaker. There comes a point when your group tanking/healing ability dictate a change of line up, but that's impossible to predict.