Wizard Innate Crits Folded Into Fury of Magic in March Test Patch

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Cragzop, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

- Wizard Fury of Magic has been updated to automatically grant 1/2/3% spell crit chance at levels 12/30/50. The spell crit chance of all preexisting Fury of Magic ranks has been subsequently increased by 3%, with the current max rank now granting 53% total spell crit chance. This change both surfaces and replaces the spell crit chance formerly granted to Wizards innately, which was exactly 1/2/3% at levels 12/30/50.
    Mongol311 likes this.
  2. Ezbro Elder

So, same end result?
  3. Szilent Augur

4. Ezbro Elder

Explain please, to the very tired :p
  5. Szilent Augur

Wizard innate crits were fake shabby crits that didn't use any of the modern (modern meaning "since 2001") modifiers & boosters. They were only cool before real crits existed.
    Beimeith likes this.
  6. Ezbro Elder

Ah yes, I understand it now. Read about it earlier. Thanks!
  7. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

For the group/solo wizard, it's a slight gain in power. As Szilent mentioned, the old 3 percent innate criticals were not "normal" criticals so having that converted to normal is a very slight boost in dps.

For the raid wizard, unless your raid is short on wizards and bards, it's probably a wash as most of the time that 3 percent boost is being wasted in raids vs the very rare chances for the innate to do something. Overall, it's probably a better thing.

The big story is that they just had to completely redo Fury of Magic for wizards from the ground up, including descriptions ... and they didn't see fit to make our top crit rate match every other casting class (53 vs 57). Either they don't know ... or don't care.
  8. Ezbro Elder

At least they now have 1 developer that understands it, so when that person finds the sense to tune it properly, it's possible :) Here's to hoping!
  9. Szilent Augur

Baby steps. First, cleaning up messy legacy code. That's an intrinsically good action. It happened to come with a rare and very welcome (not big, but rare and very welcome) wizard buff.
    RPoo likes this.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

And we are still no where near where we were DPS wise 2 months ago.

I had hoped they would give us a little more than this garbage this month.

Roll on April's patch.....
  11. Mongol311 A really bad wiz

I'm keeping my expectations low...
  12. Mookus Augur

I guess a little bit of fix is better than nothing. But Cragzop is totally right, that was a lot of work to do that but pretty much leave us barely better at all. It is a crime that we aren't the highest crit% let alone begging to stop being the absolute worst for having spend many more AA to claim that right.

I just did a Zland raid and pulled all the stops. The spell casting lag was huge and no wizard got higher than 16th on the parse. There is no scenario better suited to our.... lol ... specialty.
    Mongol311 likes this.
  13. Jokskilove Palzerker

So, they're basically telling you to go nuke yourself?
    Metanis likes this.
  14. Szilent Augur

no? they're fixing a long-standing snafu, and it's coming with a welcome, if not major, buff. why is this at all contentious?
    Duder likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Code modernisation shouldn't be conflated with desired improvements.
    This was a fix, it just didn't result in much of a measurable benefit right now, it will pay off in benefits later down the line hopefully.
  16. Warpeace Augur

You know that immediate need for gratification thing now days.