Wizard Focus AAs...are these all useless?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by NameAlreadyInUse, Jan 23, 2017.

1. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

These are the remaining Focus AAs I haven't bought yet:
    [IMG]

I haven't bought them because I haven't ever mem'd these spells. Ever. I box my wizzy and use a pretty simple rotation based on many of the thread posts here. I am looking for input on which of these foci to bother with, if any. Or is it just as useful to buy the Endurance regen AA at this point?

Hopefully I'll learn a new appreciation for some of these spells and maybe start using them. Thanks in advance!
    Drusi and Felicite like this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I use self combustion and corona of flame for aoe burns, narendi's fire for triggering gambit on raids, and telenara for face-tanking.
    But for a wiz-box, ill say you have what you need. I would still buy them over end-regen AA though, you never know if one of these spells might provide usefull somehow, but you do know that end-regen never will be. :p
    Felicite likes this.
  3. Brohg Augur

Chaos Scintillation, Pure Wildflash are each a third of Wildmagic Barrage. That's a regular part of my linup for those times when root recourse on Cloudburst is a potential problem.
    Felicite likes this.
  4. Brohg Augur

aiming for the circles at Anashti with just Netherstep is pretty tough.
    Felicite and Sancus like this.
  5. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

I went ahead and got the PBAOE's, and probably Telenara next.

Regarding gambit triggering: I keep a rain spell (Dark Torrent, these days) memmed, and that seems to take care of gambit. I am curious to know what qualifies as "fast casting", since it seems like my 2 second Ethereal Rimeblast triggers it sometimes. I wonder if the mechanic is less about the cast time of a spell and more about how quickly one damage spell lands after the next? It could just be coincidence (the rain spell could just be hitting often at that the same time in my rotation).
    Felicite likes this.
  6. Brohg Augur

Ethereal Rimeblast ain't ticking down Gambit. Fast means maximum base cast time 3.0sec, Ethereal Skyblaze & Rimeblast are both 3.75. The Ethereal Fuse will tick it down, plus Claw & Vortex & Cloudburst from normal weaves. First I've heard of loading Narendi for that purpose, but yeah it'd work since its base cast time is exactly 3.
    Felicite likes this.
  7. Sancus Augur

For future reference, it's fairly easy to find out with a spell parser rather than guessing at the mechanic:

[50287/16660] Quiescent Gambit Rk. II
    Classes: WIZ/104
    Skill: Abjuration
    Mana: 1064
    Restriction: Cannot Remove
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: No
    Casting: 1.5s, Recast: 7m, Timer: 3, Rest: 1.5s
    Duration: 18s (3 ticks) Song, Extendable: No, Dispelable: Yes
    Max Hits: 4 Matching Spells
    1: Increase Spell Damage by 7985 (After Crit)
    2: Cast: Quiescent Refreshment II if Max Hits Used
    3: Limit Max Level: 115 (lose 10% per level)
    4: Limit Effect: Current HP
    5: Limit Type: Detrimental
    6: Cast: Quiescent Reflection II on Duration Fade
    7: Limit Max Duration: 0s
    8: Limit Min Level: 99
    9: Limit Max Casting Time: 3s
    10: Limit Min Mana Cost: 100
    Text: You attempt a magical gambit.

All of the various limits (instant damage, 100 min mana cost, etc) are listed, but the most relevant one is the maximum casting time of 3s (pre-spell haste).
    Felicite likes this.
  8. segap Augur

For a boxed wizard, it can be. Breaks auto follow. If you're moving around and not setting your box group at a static camp, having the wizard left behind is troublesome. Since the OP was boxing a wizard, that becomes more relevant than someone actually maining the wizard.
    Felicite likes this.
  9. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

It sounds like it! Do you use a particular spell parser, or just the data already available from zam/lucy?

The info on zam/lucy just says "casting time", and doesn't specify Base Casting Time, which added to the confusion. Honestly, I've always used a rain spell and haven't "missed" my gambit often enough to bother looking it up - my lazy :)
    Felicite likes this.
  10. Sancus Augur

Personally I use raidloot about 90% of the time and EQResource the rest of the time. Lucy/zam can be very inaccurate; their main use is for the stacking information and spell history (their data goes back farther than EQResource).

"Casting time" always refers to base casting time. It's kind of a "because EQ" thing; I can't think of anything that uses hastened casting time for calculations. In general EQ usually uses base values for calculations, though there are exceptions.
    Felicite and NameAlreadyInUse like this.
  11. kizant Augur

I personally like to live on the edge and stick with cloudburst even on EoS but why not flashfire? I don't see how wildmagic isn't too big of a dps hit.

It should still be easy to use with gambit too with something like claw, vortex, flashfire, claw. Just have to get a rimeblast in there quick to not lose synergy but my belt proc seems to trigger that anyway so it wouldn't get missed very often even if am slow.
    Felicite likes this.
  12. Brohg Augur

Though its instant-ness is attractive, Flashchar doesn't fit a full time cast cycle alone; it has 8.25s cooldown, not Cloudburst's 3s. Another spell would have to fill the basic Claw-Skyblaze-Something cycle half the time.

Also, you're maybe underestimating Wildflash Barrage's damage.
    Felicite likes this.
  13. svann Augur

I wouldnt think ethereal fuse would work, and trying it out a few times Im not seeing it.
    Synapsefreeze works.
    And yea, when cloudburst is a problem I load flashchar. It may not be as good as cloudburst but its still the best substitute fastcast.
    Felicite likes this.
  14. kizant Augur

Yeah, I'd probably add an Ethereal Rimeblast as that something spell half the time. Maybe I'll look at it again but every time I've tried to estimate the average dps of Wildmagic it's been significantly below claws, flashfire, and even narendi's.
    Felicite likes this.
  15. kizant Augur

Here's something funny. I was just doing some parsing and with a lineup of claw -> flashchar -> skblaze -> rimeblast it never even needed to hit rimeblast. My current cast times are 1.9 for skyblaze and 1.5 for claw so I figure my GCD must be working out to about 1.62 right now for this to make sense. I'm not noticing any lag and my ping is 87ms. I could be crazy but especially with a little raid lag it might always work like this. Or maybe I'm just cursed.
  16. Brohg Augur

Quite right, Fuse doesn't tick it down, doesn't deal damage itself. I just scanned through my spellbar for the cast times.

Loading Synapsefreeze is weird to me
  17. svann Augur

Its needed when you have a ranger tank!
  18. Jiggs Elder

Wildflash Barrage spell line is decent dps. In fact I sometimes load our two highest versions of the spell for events that have mana drains or events when I die more often.

Memming our 2 highest versions and using those right after a rez (along with having a brells aug) has allowed me to still do decent dps while recovering from rez effects. Having an audio trigger (GINA or in game) for Gift of mana procs gives me a chance to Cast Claw for mana refreshment or a twincast benefit while trying to recover.

They work great for getting gambit requirements to function.

Another side benefit for Wildflash Barrage is one of the spells it can cast is actually our medium cold nuke (Cascade line) which is pretty good dps and Cascade line if one of 3 spells we wizards have the cannot be reflected. Knowing what spells that cannot reflected helped keep me at or near the top of parses for raids like EWK2 final mob, Neriak2 (purple mob) and Xorbb3. (btw Banestrike and our AA nukes also cannot be reflected).

Memming our 2 highest wildflash line spells works good for trash clears too. Can't count the amount of times I have tried using an ethereal on a trash mob and it dies midcast. (especially now with melee improvements). Two wildflash spells along with cloudburst on trash clears works pretty darn well.

I did a number of parses on a combat dummy when CoTF was most current content casting nothing but the 2 highest wildflash spells along with a Tonic of resonant elemental potion and parsed between 45k and 49k dps. Each parse I did (roughly 12-15 times) started and ended the duration of our lower element AA. The lowest I ever got on every single parse was 98% mana.

With the new focus AAs and a small increase in our worn focus since then I bet that 45-49k would be even better. While 49k is not nearly what wizards should strive for it certainly is decent enough when trying to recover from rez effects.