Wizard Epic Retelling

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Tender, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Tender New Member

I'm stuck on the Wizard Epic retelling and was wondering if anyone can give me some help or a spoiler. I think it has something to do with the Ogres in the court yard and Hurrd but I can't get past that part. If someone can post here or PM me, I would be grateful. I've spent the parts of the last couple weeks trying to get it.
  2. Riou EQResource

Find the characters who relate to the SNES game Chrono Trigger, you will see them by weaponry they use in that game vs weapons equipped in EQ.

Except Lucca who has a Wrench, because guns don't really exist in EQ I guess :p
  3. Tender New Member

I guess that is why I'm having trouble. I've never played that game
  4. Brohg Augur

Wizard Retelling is arguably the furthest out on the bull**** scale, as no amount of game knowledge or cleverness can actually lead you to the solution.

Full spoiler ahead:

The trick is that scattered around the zone are npc lookalikes for the main cast of a Nintendo J-RPG from 1995 that the developer Dzarn happened to be a fan of. They're the Notable Guests that the /achievement hints at; hailing each of the seven gets you credit for "a more interesting retelling" of the tale.

In game, they can be told apart from the 100+ npcs that have matching names by their holding a signature weapon each, and by their not shutting up after 2 hails (they will continue to spam back at you).

As an "Easter egg", each one will respond to their name from that other game with variations of "who's that?/don't be silly/ no IP infringement going on here, no sireebob"

They are the cast of Chrono Trigger:
    Ayla, a blonde drakkin holding a big club next to the Jade Tiger Inn
    Robo, a golden bot up in the caster's guild
    Crono and Marle, redhead leather-armored drakkin with katana and blonde white-robed human with a crossbow respectively, on a guard platform above the games' area
    Magus and Frog, robed vampire with a scythe and bronze-armored guktan with a sword, in the barracks to the west of the temple's demonstration area (invis past Scholar Sreklien)
    Lucca, oddly diminutive leather-wearing human with brown bob, holding a wrench all the way in the back of the temple.

Add to freeportwest_3.txt :

P 560.0209, 221.7948, -91.5984, 0, 0, 0, 3, Ayla
    P 946.9501, 132.1042, -81.8738, 0, 0, 0, 3, Robo
    P 601.1628, -368.7437, -63.8896, 0, 0, 0, 3, Crono
    P 600.6384, -365.3087, -63.8879, 0, 0, 0, 3, Marle
    P 48.3655, -751.3805, -171.3479, 0, 0, 0, 3, Magus
    P 47.5923, -763.5204, -171.3479, 0, 0, 0, 3, Frog
    P 154.0062, -1082.4136, -171.3479, 0, 0, 0, 3, Lucca
    Drusi likes this.
  5. Tender New Member

Wow, I was way off. What threw me off was when hailing one of the attendees near Hurrd, they mentioned the ogres had "interesting stories" and all of the ogres responded with stories about Hurrd instead of the generic statements the others gave. Makes sense now. Thanks.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Heh, I was about to start that quest too, and I theorized the npcs, would be cameos from earlier class quests, like kandin firepot (with some of them masked with anagram names).
    Never had a nintendo as a kid, so i would probably get stuck on that quest too...

Nintendo wasn't big in scandinavia at that time, the whole gaming market was dominated by Commodore and pc's back then IIRC.
  7. Brohg Augur

That sure would make more sense.
  8. Lily Augur

Anyone able to post more info on the Chanter version?
  9. Critts Augur

This is such an odd inclusion in Everquest. I have to say it's pretty cool how the fair from this quest mirrors the fair from CronoTrigger.
  10. Chanteren Elder

This is totally bogus. There is no way a NORMAL person who never played other games would have a CLUE to who to hail and name. This gets a EPIC FAIL grade from me.

However, thank you for the spoiler with labels on the map.
  11. Rondor Augur

Fortunately just hailing is sufficient for the Retelling achievement. Saying their Chrono Trigger name to them is just an easter egg, optional to do.

I have never played Chrono Trigger (CT), but I did run across these 7 NPCs in 2013 when an epic request originally went live. I had no idea what was so special about them - just noticed their equipped weapons and that they kept responding if you kept hailing them over and over unlike the other non-named NPCs in the instance.

Someone who never played CT could have still managed to accidentally complete the Retelling achievement, because one of the 2 wizard NPCs who starts this Freeport instance tells you shortly after you zone in, something like "look around and speak with everyone, there's plenty of time before the debate begins" - which is a sort-of-hidden-hint that you should go talk to EVERYONE in the zone. Just doing that would grant you the achievement even if you weren't going after it explicitly and didn't know anything about Chrono Trigger.
  12. Rondor Augur

The clue/spoiler for enchanters info was posted/strongly hinted at in another thead in these forums.

I'll write it in a less spoiler way:

The enchanter clue in the Retelling achievement is "Returned Gift". If you remember WAY back at the beginning of Epic 1.0 you were given an item which was used during the 1.0 quest, but which was left over at the end. You need to do something with that leftover item while in Cabilis during An Epic Request. If you don't have that leftover item anymore, go get it again now in the same way you got it before, then proceed with the Cabilis step of An Epic Retelling. Make sure you have that item on you. Pay close attention to how someone reacts after a hail, during the event, and do what's implied.

Posts #45 and #46 in the following thread give more explicit clues: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...tly-over-lets-talk-graphics-lore-flag.233892/
  13. Lily Augur

Thanks, I finished it almost a month ago.
  14. Chanteren Elder

BTW, Crono and Marle are UPSTAIRS.

I put the points on map #3, so I could turn off 1 and 2 and only see who to talk to, without all the vendor names etc... And I capitalized them so they were easier to see on map (I'm old), and made them red.
    P 560.0209, 221.7948, -91.5984, 240, 0, 0, 3, AYLA
    P 946.9501, 132.1042, -81.8738, 240, 0, 0, 3, ROBO
    P 601.1628, -368.7437, -63.8896, 24 0, 0, 0, 3, CRONO
    P 600.6384, -365.3087, -63.8879, 240, 0, 0, 3, MARLE
    P 48.3655, -751.3805, -171.3479, 240, 0, 0, 3, MAGUS
    P 47.5923, -763.5204, -171.3479, 240, 0, 0, 3, FROG
    P 154.0062, -1082.4136, -171.3479, 240, 0, 0, 3,LUCCA
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

ok I got this quest and got the green text about the people I chatted with but no check mark on epic retelling. Do I need to do the whole quest and get all the exploring checked off before I get the epic retelling interesting guests checked? even talked to the lady npc she wasn't impressed :( but said it was a good start.

Andarriel
  16. Lily Augur

I'm not sure this answers your question, but you have to complete An Epic Request twice (for 1.0 and 2.0 ornaments). Then the 3rd time around, you do special actions to get credit for the Retelling, once you've finished the whole quest.