Wizard class still "dead"?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Waitwhat, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Petalonyx Augur

Why aren't auras appropriate?

Seems a reasonable flavor-appropriate avenue to increase wiz utility and/or adps.
  2. kizant Augur

So what's your aura suggestion that doesn't conflict with or is better than a similar one provided by bard, enchanter, or druid? Given that they're trying to reduce procs and everyone already has too much mana. I know maybe something that increases hit damage of swarm pets?
  3. mmats Augur

Some effects that might be suitable for wizard auras -

1. Increase Effective Casting Level by X
    2. Increase Chance to Reflect Spell by X %
    3. Increase Chance to Reduce Recast Time of Casted Spell to 1.5s by X % (with limits like detrimental only and/or min mana cost etc)
  4. kizant Augur

Increasing effective casting would basically do nothing. Reducing recast timers will cause more lag. The spell reflect sounds pretty good though. I wouldn't be opposed to an aura like that.
    ChiiChii likes this.
  5. mmats Augur

Why would it cause lag? Reducing the recast time (not casting time) would just give you the option to temporarily rearrange your rotation to be more optimal. It shouldnt affect the amount of spells you are casting in the same time frame.
  6. Szilent Augur

Reducing recast timers sounds like crazygood adps for magicians! That's what we're looking for, right, something to disproportionately benefit mages? :D
  7. mmats Augur

The mage would have to be lucky enough to have it fire on their servant cast. If its that big of a problem, you could add a max recast time limit of say 12s for spells affected by the aura.
  8. Szilent Augur

nah, it could fire on any of Servant, Many, or Chaotic for a major boost. That's three of the four spells in their standard rotation. This is the problem, you see, and it goes very much to the heart of popular misunderstanding of the imbalance. Magicians, if you completely throw away the damage Servant deals, and completely ignore the cast time wasted on that damage you just threw away, and throw away their regular pet dps, are competitive with wizards at present for plain nuking damage. The worst spell in a regular Magician line up, the one already at the back of the line as they just pray for a lucky refresh to let them skip it, is their version of the core wizard nuke spell.

Just for funsies, there's another spell it wouldn't help magicians on besides their wizard-alike nuke spell which they'd rather not cast: their AE, which besides being better than wizard AEs along many other dimensions, refreshes immediately without your hypothetical adps :p
  9. mmats Augur

I mean, you could put any limitation necessary on the aura in order to screw mages if thats necessary to improve the wiz class. Just use your imagination.
  10. Iribabh Augur

I got it!
    "Aura of the Fizzlemaster's Union"
    1. 50% of all damage dealt while under the effect of this aura is attributed to the caster of this aura.

There we go! Can't wait to see Wizards get that big twin 20mil crit at the opening of a fight when druids cast NSW. They've been waiting to see big numbers for a while.

inb4 people say 20mil is a baby NSW crit - I said 50%. The other 20mil still attributes to the druid...
    ChiiChii likes this.
  11. kizant Augur

More AEing since those are our spells with the worst recasts but maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Although, I do wonder if others would really appreciate the reduction if it were random. I don't know if it would always a good thing. Maybe if it were a fixed reduction that everyone could plan for like we do for quick time.
    ChiiChii likes this.
  12. mmats Augur

Ah right

I was thinking the downside to being a fixed reduction would mean that peoples spell rotations would shrink and become monotonous. But you make a good point that fixed reduction would allow people to better prepare. Sign me up
  13. Kelset Elder

How big of a difference is there between mages and wizards in group play? I'm not a fan of switching to the latest hot class but it seems like wizards have lagged for years now and the sentiment is it's not going to change. I left over a year ago and the devs had indicated they would be addressing it but sounds like it's not going to be the case.

I don't want to give up on the wizards but I skipped the last expansion and have to do catch up anyway so now would be a good time. That and it's hard to ignore if one of the top wizards is saying it's a mistake not to :)
  14. kizant Augur

In what way? If you have a good group and just want an extra player and don't care if they're doing 500k or 1 million DPS then play whichever you want. They'll do enough to not make the group a complete failure.
  15. Kelset Elder

Thanks for the response and for nuking/dps as you mentioned. I have 3 wizards in the group and they do ok, particularly with coalition constantly going and enchanter adps. Although I assume the mage would benefit similarly. It's more about switching out if wizards are going to continue to stagnate and now being a good time to do so since I'm already behind.
  16. Gnomeland Augur

The difference between wizards and magicians doesn't come down to who does more damage. The question you should ask yourself is, if wizards aren't much better than magicians at damage, would it still make sense to play the class? If so then go wizard. If not, then don't. Because there will never be a guarantee that wizards will always be much better than magicians at doing damage. But there is a 99.999% guarantee that a magician will always have a pet advantage. Just the way the class is designed. Like how berserkers won't always do more damage than a rogue, but rogues will always be able to stealth.
  17. Highwizard Augur

I appreciate the arguments that players bring forth, I however cannot stand people who suggest wizard mains should re roll or its their fault that they play a class they like when the class under performs. Why dont you re roll your main that you spent countless hours doing its artisans prize, earring quest, tradeskills, getting geared, progression AAs, augs, tear leveled...list goes on and on.

People here make no sense, there is a reason the wizard pops up in many discussions. Plain and simple it does not fulfill the role we think it should and the devs might agree in-fact aristo has even said that himself.

The wizard is not bad class to play, none are they all offer unique things. All we are asking is for the devs to spend some time on the wizard to see what is or if anything is broken and if it is correct for a pet/nuking class to decimate a wizard in dps.

Cannot compare a necro they have the role of sustained dps and they do it well i dont expect a wizard to ever out punch a necro in a long fight. The issue is wizard burns are not powerful enough and therefore the wizard has no role in eq currently. The wizard should be the top dog for single target burn fights, its not
  18. Highwizard Augur

So I would ask the devs to take a look at our short duration burn AAs or our AEs and see what role if there is one the wizard can fulfill. Because if you play as hard as you can and extract every drop of dps from the wizard, its only slightly stronger than poorly played mages and necros or rogues or beastlords or druids or shamans or any class that does damage.

That is a fact, any class who plays well besides tank/healer can blow the doors of a wizard in current raids on live.

They are broken, they are not super broken they need some attention, but not to much attention. The wizard is one of few classes that has no role in EQ, nothing unique that another class cannot do.

It does not punch hard during burns, aes are perma nerfed, mana burn gone decade ago, other classes can port/evac, no pet, no utility when other classes can snare/mez way better. DPS is mediocre at best, super squishy, cannot solo. Mage pets can solo T1 names in TOL. The class is stagnate and has had its abilities taken and given to other classes over the years.

The wizard has no role

From office space "what exactly you say you do here hmm?"
    ChiiChii likes this.
  19. Tzim New Member

Yes, they should do more DPS. I think all their spells should have better resist modifiers, their ace should be that they don't have to fear resistances as long as they aren't using the wrong element.

But one advantage a wizard has that is never brought up, is that in addition by subtraction, they conveniently have no buffs to offer anyone and other than teleports no utility which can be a boon if you are lazy. If I log in my mage I have to summon a bunch of crap, or others might want something I can summon. That may be fun to some people, and not fun for others. When I get in a group on a wizard, I don't have to buff anyone and I buff myself with a few spells. If I log in my ranger to solo I have to cast like 10 spells, if I join a group I buff everyone else. Not so with the wizard.
    Konq_Ueror likes this.
  20. kizant Augur

Are you talking about TLP or what when you mention resists? We don't really an issue with resists on live.