Wizard alliance

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Critts, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Critts Augur

This spelll is great! It is a shame that it requires a debuff slot. I cast it a number of times on raids only to have it not stick due to there being no debuff slots.
  2. Critts Augur

What do others think of this spell?
  3. Brohg Augur

TIL: doomcasters raids next to either no or shabby other wizards. 20s wtf?

Alliance is an excellent spell. Yuge mana:damage ratio, pops within a tick (frequently 4s or less) given competent fellow wizards. An up-front first-cast order, along with GINA trigger/timers for subsequent castings (on refresh, bless you Claws), makes overlaps a nonissue.

Obv fire one necro to accomodate 12 classes' Alliances. Their 15th+ dots aren't dealing 2M+ each. Hell, their OWN alliance hits for 2.3M, make them mix that in and dots taking up slots no longer an issue.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Haven't tried it yet, since we have been light on wizards in my guild lately, but have a few questions:

Can you trigger some of the counters yourself, or will you have to rely on the other wizards to use all the counters after you cast it?

Do they have to be in the same group as you, or is it enough if the wizards are scattered in different groups in the raid?

How many wizards are required, to use all counters in time? and will they be forced to use fast casting spells to make it or just spam away normally?

I asume some form of coordination is required, to pull it off?
  5. Sancus Augur

No, you have to rely on other wizards.
    No, they don't have to be in the same group.
    It's likely 2 can use the counters with a normal rotation.
    Probably.
  6. Critts Augur

Only one other wizard is needed to trigger it. The wizard just needs to be twincasting. Wizard mercs also can trigger it, but you will need another wizard in group or two wizard mercs.
  7. Sancus Augur

This is what I intended to say (with regards to one wizard being required to proc it). I should've clarified when I said two wizards that I was including the wizard that casts it.
  8. Igniz Augur

I dare say, most of the above points are valid for most other classes' alliance spell as well :p
    As I see it, the alliance spell were introduced primarily as a tool for raids, not for groups.

That being the introduction, the "good" point is, that with a very limited amount of coordination, you can get all alliance spells of your class be casted on the mob AND triggered to fulmination every minute, for a sizeable damage boost (if the debuff slots are available).
    Nandary Griefs and Sancus like this.
  9. Critts Augur

I have no issue getting plenty of use out of this spell in group content. There are a lot of mobs in EoK that can take 2 rounds of alliance and still keep kicking. Golem type mobs have crazy high HPs as well as names and if you time it right any mob can be wiped out quckly. I find that voice chat is the best way to get two people to work together but /g macros could also work well. For the mana used I feel it's worth the cost if you can reliably get it to proc.
  10. Brohg Augur

15M hp on Chardok golems
    30M on non-golem named anywhere in tier 2 zones
    80ishM hp on golem named
    heck, the tier 1 named wurm in burned woods has 50M hp
  11. Vdidar Augur

Unless your stacking classes in groups most of the alliance spells are worthless anyways. They had to be destined around the raid game IMO. The synergy line of aa is far more beneficial to groupers than wasting a spell slot with an alliance spell. Unless your a priest*
    svann likes this.
  12. Critts Augur

I killed Rouge Monstrosity this morning with my SK and my wizard. Lol had to use stanch recovery at 10% of the name's HP. Think it was around a 500sec fight wizard was around 73k dps. If I had known I was going to have use it earlier I may have had a bit higher DPS. Would have been nice to have another wizard there.
  13. Vdidar Augur

It should probably also be noted that you would be upset if they hung you with a new role though as well.
  14. fransisco Augur

How is casting an alliance spell a new role?
    1 debuff? No longer a blaster?
    What about the group mana burn buff thingy?
  15. gotwar Gotcharms

It's intended for use in raids, like all of the Alliance lines. Not a huge deal, imo. I see it as a "bonus", as we likely wouldn't have gotten an additional spell for each class were these not implemented - we just would have gotten nothing :)

It boils down to being a ~3.1mil "dot". While the massive 2.7mil fulmination won't be attributed to the caster, which does suck, it's not all about parse #'s. This will help things die faster, and that's what's important.

Average raid force will bring this to fulmination rapidly, and with minimal coordination 3 Wizards will be adding somewhere in the neighborhood of 6.3million extra damage over the course of its one minute recast.

Raid math:

2.7million fulmination + 48(8) = 3.084 million damage per cast.

3084000 / 13000 (mana cost before focus) = 237 points of damage per mana.

I know I'm not good at this whole theory/spreadsheetquest game, but remind me again how many Wizard nukes beat that ratio - before factoring in "when the stars align" type synergy situations or Chromahazed warheads.

Am I missing anything here? Based just off the hard numbers, Wizzies get the best cloth caster Alliance by a fair margin.
    Skewert and -----Cinexa----- like this.
  16. Brohg Augur

Zero classes out of sixteen got a spell that's cast every tick. Those things, those super-core spells, are not part of this expansion or any non-level expansion. Expecting something that would fit into a normal spell cycle is an unreasonable expectation that's borderline stupid to express.

This expansion included Alliance spells for all classes intended for raid use. The wizard version is hardest hitting.

The wizard one is also not exceptionally onerous to employ - it busts reliably and fast, with no weird behavior needed from class-mates; your assertions to the contrary seem bizarre to me who has employed it in actual raid events working beside other competent wizards. We - we is "every wizard raiding" - hurl it out there once a minute each, plus once per Force Rejuv each, plus once per Claw refresh each, without stepping on each other's toes, Fulminating it every time.

It is sad that there will be an element of randomness introduced to parse totals when damage is attributed properly, based on frequency of refreshes. All I can say, though, with regards to those who use one-event totals as their rubric for player quality is

Git gud, son.
    Kunon and Sancus like this.
  17. Sancus Augur

You're pretty grossly misrepresenting the usefulness of the spell.

First off, yes, it does use up a spell gem. That's really rough for some classes, but if the damage is good (which it is) I don't really see it being an issue for Wizards.

All of your Wizards should be able to use the spell. It takes some coordination at the beginning of the fight and possibly later with syllable of refreshment procs, but intelligent usage should make wasting mana a non issue. God forbid you have one spell that you can't stick in your multibind and spam on refresh...

I also don't see how you'd only use it "a few times an hour." If you've loaded this spell you're probably on a raid, and pretty much all of the EoK raids have decent length boss fights. On T1 you have Gore in Lcea and The Incarnate Droga in Droga, both of which are pretty great targets for this spell. You have to be cognizant of when adds spawn when fighting Gore, but that comes down to intelligent usage and can certainly be managed. If you try to cast this on something like the sarnaks obviously it won't be particularly effective, but doing so would be misusing a situational spell.

As far as charm/mez and such... Ok? If a large enough portion of your raid is getting charmed or w/e that you can't proc this spell, don't use it. There are very few events where that is true.

I haven't raided on my Wizard much since EoK launched, but I've had absolutely no issue with getting this spell to land and proc consistently (well before the timer) on bosses.

Most of your complaints seem to misunderstand the purpose of the spell. Like I've said, it is situational. That is the intent. Maybe you aren't used to having to think situationally, but it's a pretty big part of EQ.
  18. Critts Augur

The major downfall of this spell is that it takes a debuff slot. There are times when it doesn't matter and others where it prevents the spell from being used.
  19. Brohg Augur

That's been somewhat alleviated already thanks to the Lingering AA change, as well as necro's own Alliance. I expect it'll be alleviated somewhat more around March when the actual necro dot update / class rewrite happens. But then maybe we'll have shm & dru using up more :p we'll see.
  20. Kunon Augur

But it doesn't. If you dig into the raw spell data you'll find that it actually goes into a mobs song window instead of the buff window. Yeah, that's a thing now. Yes I'm also aware that it appears to go into a mob's buff window.

All of the Alliance spells (and only Alliance spells) except for the priests are set to Song Window 1. Song window 1 is for NPCs.
    Bard buff songs and such are all set to Song Window -1. That is for PCs.
    All other buffs, debuffs, DoTs, recourses etc. are set to Song Window 0 since they go into buff windows.
    Priest Alliance spells are also set to Song Window 0 since they go onto PC buff windows.

If an Alliance spell doesn't land it is because there is already an Alliance spell of that type already on the mob. You get the same, "xyz did not take hold" message as you would from a lack of debuff slots.

Edit: With a little coordination the Alliance spells are already an awesome tool for toons to use primarily on raids. There is no debate about that. Once the fulminations are credited to the caster, even the baddies will be tripping over themselves to cast them.