Wizard AE-Spells

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Speathdell, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Speathdell Journeyman

Hello fellow Wizards,

I am playing a 3-box-combo including a Wizard. The wizard is my oldest char rolled in '99. I remember many years ago there was a time doing AE-groups for exp was a good idea.

Today I roll through HAs weaving mostly singletarget spells. Are the nowadays available AE-spells capable to get down a bunch of mobs in a decent timeframe ?

Thank you in advance for your answers
  2. Goodn Augur

From my personal experience, no. But honestly, it doesn't cost you much to just try it on your own and see.

You don't mention your other classes, but I assume that the wizard is the only effective ae. If you ran a 3 box with 3 caster mercs doing ae burn...maybe? You also don't mention a level, but I'm assuming you are in the 95-105 range...if higher that 105, then the HA changes will make it a near impossibility due to increased mob hps.

I tried at 105 to do some ae killing of farmers in upper Valley of Lun vs single target killing and it was no contest...particularly since I could single target kill without a merc vs needing one aeing (I was working on some alts). For my tastes, single is just safer and faster. I do not know if you set your burns differently for ae vs single...so it is possible I am missing something.
  3. Speathdell Journeyman

Thank you for the answer, I forgot to mention some points, sorry. Team is SK, Bard and Wiz all are 106 now and EOK T2 group geared. Atm i am doing Kor-Sha-Lab for EOK T2 or going in DH HA.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I never use my rains (or lures) does anybody actually use these lines anymore. nowadays when I'm doing hunter or lower hp mobs I use bearm(fire) Wheel of fortune pb aoe and Self destruction spell. Course I wouldn't use any of these on high hp mob s be kinda waste of time. I use those doing hunters (old eq and like) and MG task.

Andarriel
  5. kizant Augur

Well just look at the total DPS vs other spells you'd cast. If your tank has 5+ mobs then beam and self combustion are worth it for sure. If they only have 3 it'll be a decent loss to use those. If you have 2 and you have zero adps then rains would be good. The 40% crit rate cap hurts those too much if you have FD or auspice or anything like that.
  6. Mookus Augur

At lvl 46 we had Supernova doing 854 damage pbae.

Now at lvl 107 Wheel of Flame does 7949.

Im pretty sure we measure monsters HP by the MILLIONS now.
  7. Brohg Augur

10M on Veeshan's Peak basepop. 17M on the guardian wurms!
  8. Critts Augur

I think the lures would be the only thing a wizard could use in PvP, if a wizard was dumb enough to try PvP.
  9. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I remember way back in the day when wizards were king in pvp back when manaburn hit for full damage and could crit. I would never duel anyone because its so broken for wizards nowadays. cant even land spells for full damage on pc's and stuff like unresistable snare wont land on pcs. just say no to duels lol.

Andarriel
  10. Critts Augur

That is what is called a trap. You can’t reliable count on this in a dungeon.