Wiz quality of life request regarding root

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Mookus, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Mookus Augur

Can we get an upgrade to our wizard class AA root such that it would lower the recast time from 12 to 6 seconds. Or just another AA root that doesn't share the recast timer of the first.

I've wished root wouldn't break so much. But the AA root is our best because we can cast it during the spell cooldown enforced upon us during the time immediately after our nuke breaks root.

But often I will break a root, hit the aa root on it, then break it the next time with another 10 seconds until i can re-root. And i have to slum it with the spell-cooldown encumbered spell root. Root is weak enough as it is, I think a 120 wizard should have this aspect improved.
  2. Ravanta Suffer Augur

While I find it surprising the refresh on your aa root is as long as that, in the meantime, with some luck on drops, there are some items you should have no trouble obtaining that click immobilize with a 2 second casting time.

https://www.raidloot.com/items?spell=132
    Once obtained, you can change your root hotkey to:
    /alt activate #
    /useitem whicheveroftheitemsyoupicked up
  3. Mookus Augur

Good suggestion Ravanta. I think only the two 2sec casting time items in that query will be any better than using the spell root during AA root 12second recast timer. I did clear out the poAir miniboss, and a VT raid boss for those two items yesterday. I didn't get them to drop, but at least I found AHR up and completed my conqueror /ach yesterday.

But the request remains, it would be far better if a wiz could use his or her AA root every time our nukes break root. Because nukes usually break root.
  4. Wulfhere Augur

How about a wizard nuke that applies root secondarily?

How about wizard nuke line(s) that are flagged not to break root (yes that flag exists already)?
  5. Brickhaus Augur

I'll admit, this wouldn't make my top 20 changes for wizards. But I haven't root nuked ... well, ever (RIP quad kiting). It wouldn't make my top 20 primarily because we're one of the few classes that has extra spell slots if you were to be root nuking so ... you can just mem a root.

However, in playing with our roots and nukes on the test dummy, I noticed an amusing thing. Our spell ice root/nukes (the aa is just an ice root) have a resolve order of root first, nuke second. So yes, the spell ice root cast can break itself ... making it just a really bad nuke. Only wizards would get something like this.

Not opposed to any additional aa root capability, but I just don't think it benefits 95%+ of wizarding activity.

Wulfhere's suggestion might be interesting, but (a) if you aren't using the Ethereals while soloing it's pretty darn inefficient and (b) they'd never give our best line the ability. Making the 30 thousand (only slight exaggeration) useless lines of wizard nukes more useful would be nice. At least we get to ignore thousands of focus aas.
  6. Szilent Augur

It's my understanding that the SPA79 root-nukes use cannot break root. What's almost surely happening, if you've witnessed a break, is that the root is being broken by the Devotee/Acolyte Casting Ice procs. Every(?) other Sympathetic proc requires SPA0. Take off your earring & have another go.

Of course, eschewing those procs cuts dps on chain rooting from 88k to 71kdps :p
  7. Wulfhere Augur

8. Mookus Augur

I may not have explained the issue very well. My issue is that after a nuke breaks root, a spell root needs to wait the global recast time of 2secs plus the 1.5secs for the fastest spell root we have. Yes of course you should always have a spell root and the aa root ready when soloing.
    It seems that you are not a wizard who solo's progression stuff much. As those of us who do so can attest.... rooting stuff in extremely tight spaces is required. Re-rooting a mob with a spell root sucks as it takes 3.5 seconds to land. 3.5secs to rereoot inside a dungeon is a lot longer than it seems.
    Waitwhat likes this.
  9. kizant Augur

There's no good alternatives to the original suggestion. A 6 second re-cast or less on AA root seems fair to me.
  10. Szilent Augur

It'd be something to spend AA on! Wizard overall AA count is pretty darned low if one discounts unused Focus lines
    kizant likes this.
  11. Wulfhere Augur

Given that's the case, a spell line or two of SPA 79 nukes would allow wizards to use their classic root & nuke strategy again.

Currently wizards have 3 spells in their Entombment of Ice line, Cryomancy, and Manaburn that utilize SPA 79 to deal damage This could be expanded upon by new spells with the caveat that SPA 79 doesn't focus or crit like SPA 0 does (right?).
  12. kizant Augur

The classic root and nuke strategy mostly stopped when sol temple was added and we got bonds of force. The nukes that have a root component have never been worthwhile and I don't really think we need to try and fix that spell line/concept. And the only reason root is still useful for us now is because we got ice block and have had useful ice roots for a long time now. That was a game changer. Now all we need is the AA re-cast to be a little shorter. Don't think it's a lot to ask for.
    Valcron likes this.
  13. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

As a mage, wiz root recast should be at most the time of a pet resummoning.
  14. Waitwhat Elder

I think wizard nukes should be exempt from the "a nuke can break root" logic. Not like wizard is gonna run around like crazy, nuking like a boss without going oom pretty fast anyway. At least it gives a chance to kill something by themselves in dungeon scenarios. If it really _must_ have the break functionality, set til to near zero, and if it happens, an unresistable 90% slower movement speed gets put on the mob.