Wiz/Mage DPS Web App

Discussion in 'Casters' started by kizant, Sep 12, 2017.

1. kizant Augur

It's not really intended for casual players. It's so you can cut down or avoid parse time all together when looking at edge cases or seeing the effect of a new ability, etc. Plus some of us use it to help recommend changes/fixes.

I'm also trying to account for everything so you don't have to remember so much. You need to consider things like spell cast times have different proc rates, cloudburst doesn't proc arcane fusion, etc. Plus I've gone through and tested to level to know that FD does actually increase the damage of arcane fusion, to stick with that example, when it procs. Now it's all coded in one place and I don't have to remember stuff like that.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  2. Zalamyr Augur

The "top spells to cast" can potentially vary by what your current status of adps is and this helps figure that out for certain circumstances. There's a lot of spells that are very close when you do napkin math, so having a tool that can help take in a bunch of other factors to help determine which is better is certainly handy.

Besides that, it's just plain neat.
    kizant likes this.
  3. kizant Augur

What Zalamyr said. There's four different 'best' dps spells depending on the situation not even counting alliance or manaburn which have their own cases or the comparing based on different ranks/focus AA. Plus a couple others that you should cast before them. Besides, this app isn't a howto guide to wizard DPS.
  4. Zalamyr Augur

I'll start this off by saying I don't know much about wizards, just leveling up my baby wizard atm, so I might be missing something obvious. With that said, something seems screwy with Wildether barrage when you combine it with claw. Showing as more damage than wildflash, and in fact, more damage than a lot of spells, which doesn't seem right. Behavior isn't there when you don't combine it with claw.
  5. kizant Augur

They nerfed the wildmagic line starting with the level 101 version. The old one does work differently.
    Zalamyr likes this.
  6. Zalamyr Augur

Gotcha, I see it now looking at the spell data.
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

Kizant, not sure if it has been up before, but have you considered making the state of the app be part of the url (rest-like)?

Not sure it is worth the effort, but it would be quite cool for forum discussions.

Also realized you are using aws :). Awesome...
  8. kizant Augur

It turns out AWS is actually pretty cheap for static web hosting. I used to have some VMs with database/nodejs, etc and they would charge like $15+ a month even with nobody accessing them. But for this web app that's purely html/javscript it's pretty much nothing. My last bill was 63 cents. I think it went up to like $1.70 once lol.

I sorta thought about saving a cookie with the state of all the forms but never really went far with the idea. It might actually be easier to make it part of the URL though. Makes me wish I was using AngularJS or something. Thinking about it again, I'm pretty sure all the state is ending up in a normal form control. I might be able to just loop through all the controls on the page and do that pretty easily. We'll see. It is a good idea.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  9. Zalamyr Augur

To throw out a feature request, I'd be interesting in seeing a mana usage statline. Some of the rotations I've played with seem similar enough, wondering how the mana usage per second of each one compares. I suppose I could do my own napkin math for that but...:)

Not super concerned with factoring in the abilities that alter mana usage, since those are burn buttons and I'm more interested in mana usage on sustained rotations. Honestly, factoring in any of the preservation effects isn't even that important. I'm not all that concerned with absolute numbers, mostly relative numbers to each rotation.
  10. Zalamyr Augur

And it helps figure out what those circumstances are. As he stated, it's not designed to be a dps guide. It's not for somebody who's trying to figure out what to multibind to do decent dps. It's for somebody who wants to squeeze out every bit of extra dps under differing circumstances.

I suppose after enough research and in game validation somebody could put together a guide with all their findings of what's best when, but that's a horse of a different color.
  11. kizant Augur

Also, those 4 spells change based on your gear, raid makeup, spell levels, lag, etc. For example, one reason I have the GCD option in there is I've know some wizards who've used a 3 Ethereal lineup for burns. If you set the GCD to 1.5 you can see how it might make sense but if you set it over 1.7 it looks like it should be lower DPS and explains why most people didn't do that. There are going to be things you have to account for on your own.

I'd still point to Brohg's post as a starting point for most people although we could use something updated for RoS. I'm not even sure all the things I'm changing with RoS yet myself and I don't really feel like working on a big guide right now. In fact, I don't think I've gone a single month in the past year and half without changing something. You're not going to get away from having to do your own work. Not to mention the app also supports Mages which I've spent exactly 0 minutes playing and there's no way I could make a guide for them. All I can do is mimic what the devs change and let other people see if they get some use out of it.

In the end all you really should be getting from the app is a bit of a time saver so you have less parsing to do, plus you get to play with rank 3 spells and raid rob focus, etc before you can actually get them in game, and you don't have to learn SPA numbers or actual values for things if you want to calculate the damage of spell.

Oh and there's one other not very obvious thing you can do. Under Test -> Display Spell and Ability Rules you can get to a page I use for testing. But is also shows some of the details that could be useful. There was a post recently about the usefulness of Dicho and if you click that link and search for 'Dichotomic Fire 6' you can see a list of effects and whether they work for that spell or not. I didn't make that link for that purpose but so it's not easy to search for things, etc but it's there..
  12. kizant Augur

I added a basic version for testing. It's probably reloading things more than it needs to and might be a little slow to load. The URL is creates is also really long so you might want to tinyurl it or something.

So, just click the copy link to clipboard option and paste it into another window to see if it works. Here's an example I just made and you can see how crazy the URL is. There's just too many options. I could probably remove the defaults but still it could end up being pretty long..

The only thing it's not doing really is moving the ADPS options around the chart or zooming/centering the charts. It's just turning everything on that you had selected.

http://dps.kizant.net/?class=wiz&se...s-aug1+NONE,add-dps-aug2+NONE,range-aug+NONE,
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  13. IblisTheMage Augur

That is awesome!

I think discussing spell line-ups just became a lot more tangible.

Kizant, thanks again for your continued contribution to the community!
    kizant likes this.
  14. kizant Augur

No prob. And I just made one more update. Since the URLs were so long I figured I could at least compress them. Now they're even less readable but a bit smaller. It's just LZW and then URL encoded for anyone interested. Although, the old URLs should still work. The new version of the one I posted about now looks like this. Maybe its actually longer lol. Hmm.

-Edit Nevermind. Compressing it doesn't really help.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  15. IblisTheMage Augur

edit: nevermind
  16. IblisTheMage Augur

Another idea:
    Adding more spell levels could increase the user group way beyond end game players, and could ultimately help new/returning players.

It would also increase the overhead significantly, which is not desirable.

Is there a way to automate this, or to crowd source this? Parse data from files, or collab with raidloot?
  17. kizant Augur

Well there's still a few things only being handled in code I could work on cleaning up. What levels would really be useful? Like every 5 levels starting from heroics/85? I was also still considering doing something with mana usage. I saved all the mana costs for spells but I don't really use it anywhere except for a few rules that look for manaCost > 10 or 100. It wouldn't be too hard to estimate that though. Just haven't gotten to it.
  18. kizant Augur

Update:

Cleaned up the Copy URL a little bit. It's just a button with a share icon now. And I have it using a google API to shorten the URL. Still needs a little work. It should be popping up a window with the generated URL and a copy icon. I'm doing a work-around at the moment that isn't very good. Just need to work on the UI for the popup.

Example of what the new URLs are:
    https://goo.gl/pGtajd
    IblisTheMage and Brohg like this.
  19. IblisTheMage Augur

Humm, some flicker but no pop-uo on my iPad (safari)
  20. kizant Augur

Yeah, it doesn't actually happen at the moment. It should work like it did previously. It's just going to have issues if the google API is down or having problems.