Wishes for the next expansion?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lilura, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

How about an animation for the merc to run behind us clapping together two coconut halves?
    Strumph, Sheex, Diptera and 3 others like this.
  2. Raiena Journeyman

Dedicated Food and Drink slots. Place your food and drink and the game will only take from those slots unless they are empty. Could move the ebon and radiant crystals into Currency tab and put the slots in that newly gained space.

Guild Bank money area with associated permissions in guild management tool. Maximum allowances for item removal for each rank. Guild bank logs of items deposited and removed.

Under Keyring....add an Ornaments Tab so players can swap out ornaments and not have to store them in bank, crates, etc.

In DB Store. The ability to purchase more space for your guild bank.

That's just a few things I can come up with...
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Ngreth is it possible to make it so Mercs recognise the speed of the player and run at the same pace?

It that isn't possible can mercs get the max run speed as an inate speed?
  4. Cadira Augur

I mean, in that case an intervention would be a benefit so that's not really the scenario he's talking about wanting to avoid.
  5. Elyssanda Bardbrain

These really are needed.. especially in the family guilds.. I can't count how many times we would have 50-100 things that were there to help people leveling up, disappear in the wee hours of the night/morning. daily for like 2-3 weeks until we would end up locking down the bank again and saying if you want something for your character, let an officer get it for you.. someone is stealing and selling in bazaar.
    Geroblue and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  6. Allayna Augur

Until they add in a system of logs for the guild bank, you're forced to use the permissions system to lock them and assign a banker or two in your ranks....

Our guild bank is only used for the high end potions etc for raids and it's locked mostly locked down with 1-5 stacks of each open for grab and we don't have that issue. We use housing for anything of value. Prize houses, collection houses, etc....

The krono and plat remain on 1 toon, which isn't ideal imo I wish there was a better system for that. Our DKP site tracks how much and on which toon, but again, a third party site.
  7. Arlyana Healzalot New Member

Thank you for creating a game that is amazing and entertaining. I love playing and I love working on quests that improve the characters I play. In the next expansion, I would like to see some expanded options for improving our mercenaries. I would like an option to put all my experience towards getting mercenary AA's to improve my mercenary when I reach max AA and experience. I would like quests I can do with my mercenaries that would make them special.
    Give clerics back Quiet Magic.
    Give clerics an insta-clicky that gives them permanent invis and take out the code in EQ that says
    "If cleric near mob" drop invisibility. Dying because I can't keep invisibility on me to save my life is just stupid. After 20 years, I can honestly say DB must hate the cleric class.

And, please don't give merc clerics Rk2 buffs without doing some kind of a quest to get it. it is absolutely ridiculous that mercenary clerics have better buffs out of the gate then their real counterparts.
  8. Metanis Bad Company

I'm sitting here today thinking about the future of EQ at the end-game status. We've got a level increase and a partial revamp of Velious coming. It's easy to assume that the next expansion after this one will be the 2nd half revamp of the same Velious expansion. Exactly the template as used by EOK/ROS so it should come as no surprise.

It also appears obvious the committed group of EQ addicts who make up the end-game will continue to shrink due to attrition. A lot of us are old and actually dying off in Real Life. If you look at the recruitment going on for all the top guilds it would appear the pool of qualified raiders has become very shallow. There are multiple components to this and most importantly there are no easy fixes for Holly and her crew.

For one thing, it's a very large time sink to take any new character and make it effective enough to play in the Top 10. Gear is not so bad, but skill takes time and experience. (Some few pieces of gear like the Eyes of Life and Decay are a special case. How many "new" players will ever find enough support to get them?)

Another aspect to this is the population of existing Live servers who don't play in recent expansions. I recently leveled up a team from 1 to 80 using the Tutorial and The Serpent's Spine (think Crescent Reach) expansion. I was frankly amazed how many lower levels were still playing the game but not even close to the current expansion. (And many were Free-To-Play characters so were not contributing to keeping the lights on at DBG).

So what I'm saying is the ever-smaller corps of dedicated players will continue to shrink. It's just become too much work and too much tedium to get here and to stay here.

So I wonder if there will be enough people playing at the end-game still in 2021 to justify another new expansion? But if you enjoy EQ and want it to survive how does DBG continue to generate the revenue to keep the game alive?

Well, one thing has worked well so far, the TLP concept of specialized servers. Is there a method whereby they could charge for a new server that would entice us 20-year vets to switch to TLP and actually pay for the privilege? I mean in lieu of another expansion?

We are already accustomed to revamped content being sold as "new". What could they offer that would convince us to "reset" our favorite main back to level 1? Perhaps instead of "new" expansions they work on enhancements that are only applicable to a new class of TLP servers?

One example that immediately comes to mind is a robust server-side reporting system that tracks your accomplishments in-game including your DPS from every mob including raid encounters! Would you pay $40-$50 extra a year to play on a unique more powerful server platform as opposed to getting zones you might never play in?

I just don't see the current paradigm (on the Live side) working much longer.
    MarttinPH and Wulfhere like this.
  9. Geroblue Augur

Crafting, et al, like the EQ II side. Much easier in my mind to deal with. Along with the crafting quests.
  10. SaffronYellowLotus Journeyman

How about some decent charm aug for the group gamer? Another shield aug maybe too but seriously, a charm slot aug for group gamers. One from this century.
  11. Brohg Augur

You mean not like the current best Extruded Black Pearl which was from a group mission? or not like the best before that one which was Shimmering Black Pearl, also from a group mission? No no, those aren't available year round, you must mean not like the always-available best in game Stone of the Landing empowered by solo/group tasks & missions. Seriously this ask gave me wutufuh-face
    Elyssanda, TheStugots and Allayna like this.
  12. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Raiena's post that I quoted was about guild bank logs, and as I was once one of the coleaders of Black Dragon Legion on Luclin, which is one of the two most populous family style guilds in game with over 5000 characters, those types of guild banks are usually FULL of armor and spells at all sorts of different levels to help members as they level up while playing. yes, collection houses and ornament houses are amazing at helping to keep the guild bank less full (Can we see an increase in guild bank SIZE while we are at it?) but non-raid guilds need that bank space for a much larger range of players than raid banks need.
  13. Elyssanda Bardbrain

14. Allayna Augur

I was agreeing. A log would be wonderful, I just don't hold my breath for such niche improvements. The alternative I offered is not perfect, but you are able to set in the access tab of the guild window, which rank or toon can withdrawal, deposit, manage the guild bank.
    Elyssanda and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How many people would we lose because they don't want to start over because of all the time and work they have put into their characters. There are still plenty of people who don't want to relive the old days and lower level and don't like the progression servers because of this. There are also still plenty of people who only have a single character and don't even want to make alts.

In the end I think a reset or focusing on lower level content could be very bad for this game.
    Allayna likes this.
  16. Iven Antonius Bayle

I think that the next expansion is a mistake as it is the third version of Scars of Velious. It seems that it is a systematic method by the devs to revamp the graphics of old zones in the form of new expansions. But will it attract old players ? Not really as they prefer the original zones and can be bored of (uncreative) remakes or even be offended by seeing/experiencing remakes as perverted and corrupted clones. Will it attract new players: Not for the next 1-2 years as they are stuck in these old expansions like SoV and their characters are not high level enough to be able to play in new expansions.

Instead old expansions and their related continents should get expanded by adding new dungeons and other zones to them. Maybe partially in the style of instanced zones but not as a whole LDoN2 expansion. A lost valley could had been found by the Wayfarers and an earthquake could had opened an entrance to an underground cave / labyrinth / temple etc. Even ongoing story could be realized this way: Like the Ry`Gorr orcs have build a new outpost in Great Divide (instanced zone) or have found a secret passage to a new underground area during mining.

It seems that the devs do not realize what made expansions like RoK and SoV great. It was not so much about the graphics even that those was acceptable and even good in the past. The main attraction was that the players could discover vast new continents with alot dangerous wilderness which did put them into the roles of adventurers, explorers, hunters and pioneers which is thrilling. Another attraction was the open world and that not much content was locked behind progression which was limited to key quests in the past. And at last there was interesting lore and quests that did build the story frame.

To me a good expansion should always contain 2-3 zones that can be also accessed by low and mid level characters (lvl 50+) in the form of instanced level scaling zones like in LDoN. As players on the live servers have to solo/molo until reaching the level range end it would be wise to also add single player content to these instanced level scaling zones. Alot more players would have a reason to buy new expansions then.
  17. Whulfgar Augur

Guess I'm shocked at the way most people assume TLP is more popular then blue servers.

Couple reasons.

1. TLP have way less servers. Which inflates their #s any given play period compared to the double or triple amount of blue servers.

2. Most TLP players are blue live server players that simply play TLP outside of their mains on blue servers.

3. TLP servers some have unique rules that again some like some don't and of those type of TLP servers .. again less servers overall means more packed population.

I for 1 do not believe that the TLP players are even half of what blue server popations are.

And I for 1 feel if they condensed down blue servers to the exact same # of TLP servers.. blue servers would double or triple those TLP servers populations.
  18. Natal Augur

No, if they get hung up somewhere due to z axis differences they stay there until you get on the same level as you. Putting them on passive does nothing to fix that. Unless you go back and fetch them, the only way to get them to you is to suspend them and recall, which takes 5 minutes.
  19. Natal Augur

LDoN was an abomination. There is no way that I would want to see that again. It was the laziest money grab by far in EQ history. They had a similar sort of thing in EQ2, with a sort of player designed version of LDoN. That was used only once though, and the dungeons themselves were eventually actually removed from the game completely. It is that bad of an idea, an experiment at cost cutting that failed both times.

Vast expansions like the old days won't happen because the player base is too small to fund the development costs involved.
  20. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

16 gear spots for the merc tab
    4 for each type of Merc.
    For instance if I pop a tank merc he is wearing what ever gear I put in the tank merc windows.
    Weetea, CrazyLarth, Elyssanda and 2 others like this.