Wireless headset suggestions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mintalie, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Mintalie Augur

1. Who is using what specifically for EQ/audio triggers/GINA/Teamspeak et al?
    2. Is it better to use Bluetooth or not?
    3. My computer does not have Bluetooth, so how hard would that be to install, if necessary?
    I'm not ultra-fussy about pristine sound quality. My wants would be:
    • Feels good on your head--not too heavy, not too tight
    • Sturdiness and longevity--the charging cable isn't going to break too easily, or the joints
    • Range--can I walk 15-20 feet to my kitchen and still be able to hear?
    • Charge length--8 hours or so for a full charge is sufficient... charging while wearing would be ideal but not imperative
    In a perfect world, I'd love to spend no more than $150, but I'm open to suggestions. :) This headset would be solely to play EQ, so the top-end, fancy schmancy deluxe surround sound goodies are far from necessary. I just want to be able to talk in Teamspeak and hear my audio triggers and GINA triggers.

I currently have a plug-in el cheapo that is perfectly functional but clunky, and the cord is short, and I'm getting tired of taking it on and off every time I have to pee or get a glass of water.
  2. Nostradamus New Member

You can purchase a bluetooth dongle to add to your computer (via USB) if you need to.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Mintalie like this.
  3. Conq Augur

Mintalie likes this.
  4. svann Augur

Most important thing about your headset is comfort.
    Almost all of them have decent sound but comfort is different for every person.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Mintalie like this.
  5. Nniki Augur

I have had a set of these for quite some time. Overall, they've been pretty good. The USB receiver can be conveniently tucked away inside them for travel / storage too.

I've had some issues with mine:
    - headband cushion came off (although, seems to be staying again)
    - mic will sometimes (rarely) become muted, and flipping the mic back and forth doesn't unmute it (can unmute via windows sound settings though)
    - volume control doesn't work very well anymore
    - popping sound when turning on
    Mintalie likes this.
  6. Lawel New Member

7. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Biohazerd likes this.
  8. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Pretty much anything from Turtle Beach, Corsair, Logitech, Steelseries, Triton and Razor.

Check https://frys.com/ for their daily promo code sales and their weekly promo code sales. They also price match other places Internet and local ads.

I order online and they send me an email letting me know it's ready within 20 minutes then I go pick it up and pay for it when I get there without having to deal with any employees other than the cashier and the security person at the door when I exit.

They do shipping too. I just happen to live 3.5 miles from the Dallas location.
    Mintalie likes this.
  9. Nifty Slacker Augur

I use a corsair "void pro usb". It's wired, but I think there is a wireless version as well. I always felt that wireless headsets were more trouble than they were worth, and I wound up using them plugged in most of the time anyway. This set cost me about 100$ and the mic sounds pretty good *(that's important). It comes with software as well, so you can tweak audio a little bit, but I haven't played much with that. It fits around the ears and I think it's comfortable. Best of luck finding a good headset.

PS Logitech products are notorious for being poorly made and overpriced. Stay away from Logitech.
    Mintalie likes this.
  10. Biohazerd Lorekeeper

Mintalie likes this.
  11. Nniki Augur

They're great for walking away from the desk and still being able to hear anything being discussed in voice chat.

They can also be nice if you like to move around a bit at your desk... reposition in chair or if you have a sit-stand desk, etc.
    Mintalie likes this.
  12. Mintalie Augur

With the amount of time I spend going to the bathroom, getting a drink, switching laundry, etc., it's not practical for me to keep the wired version that I already have, which was cheap and works fine but is too restrictive!
    Nniki likes this.
  13. Karhar Dream Crusher

Astro A50's have been around for awhile, my friend can go down the street and if there is not too many obstacles i can still talk/hear him. And he's had his set for years still holds a decent charge for the length of ownership
    Mintalie likes this.
  14. DirtyGurtie Lorekeeper

Mintalie likes this.
  15. Mintalie Augur

You guys have given me lots of great options. Thank you!
  16. Mintalie Augur

Still trying to decide. Seems like there's always a "but" with the sub-$300 headsets. The hunt continues...
  17. msbn96 New Member

18. Ruinedmyownlands Elder

I use a phone with Teamspeak app on it and some bluetooth headphones. I don't use audio for GINA (I use visual triggers) so this works pretty well.
  19. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I just got these myself. Overall I like them, the only complaint I have is the wireless range isn't as far as I would like. They still have a decent range, I can go to the kitchen or the bathroom and they still work fine but if I go outside for a smoke they start cutting out.
  20. jeskola pheerie

Go big or go home!

[IMG]