WinEQ2 is now WinEQ2022!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by bard007, Feb 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bard007 Augur

WinEQ 2 is being replaced by WinEQ 2022, which is currently available for testing...
    Hope that makes the veteran true boxers happy.
    Have fun :)
  2. Lawyer Augur

It's never clear to me which of these pieces of software is allowed and which isn't.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Tappin Augur

BanEQ 2022…
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This is what former Community Manager Roxxlyy wrote:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ing-third-party-cheat-programs.250451/page-32

So they criteria seems to be:

1. Software that reads logs in a non-client window are OK (e.g. parsers).

2. Software should not provide an advantage or automation.

3. Software should not affect the client directly.

4. Daybreak has final say on all software. If in doubt, do not use.

Basically, Daybreak will never endorse third party software due to the capability to recode/retool the software to something more malicious.

Use software at your own risk. (Nearly all developers will warn that you use their program at your own risk).

As for the OP, it is discouraged to name or mention specific software on the official forums. It is best shared in your guild forums. People tend to conflate, convolute, and equivocate software on the OF which leads to locked or deleted threads (because of some player-led but forced "tacit endorsement" of benign and malicious software by perceived non-action on the moderator's part).
    Fenthen and Lawyer like this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Beyond the debate about "approved software", another reason Daybreak will not endorse third party software and discourage mentions on the forums is because of the possibility that the software could include malware (which affects the user's machine). Malware is a small risk but not zero.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

WinEQ 2022 is fine to use for EQ.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Sorry to hear you got banned Tappin. :(
  8. Tappin Augur

I’m still around - that was sarcasm.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Thank goodness.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

That was a close one.
  11. Sup Rog Elder

That's ridiculous lol. They aren't responsible for anything on your pc. Also, they don't have to approve and endorse it, just say it isn't on a list of banned software.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

While they "aren't responsible", they do not want the bad PR and drama of "Oh, Daybreak said that software was fine and now I have malware. I demand Daybreak give me compensatory anti-virus suite and identity theft protection for the next 5 years." (Even though the base software is open source but said user downloaded malware add-ons).

The current policy is fine (i.e. criteria outlined by Roxxlyy above should be published but I suspect it isn't due to a slippery slope). 1. They do not want to advertise the bad software with a list. 2. Quite frankly, they should have a list of banned software but I'm sure there will be complaints and blatant disregard over the selection anyways.
    Vumad and Coagagin like this.
  13. Sup Rog Elder

All they need is a list of software that they will suspend you for using. You think someone could sue a game company, for downloading software from a completely different company and getting a virus?? What grounds, besides being a fool, would that be under? You honestly think that is a possible scenario? DB didn't supply the program or tell you to use it. You know that is ridiculous I hope.
  14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

In terms of a list, read the reasons above: they do not want to advertise the bad software and cheaters will cheat.

While I agree with you that society should run on "big boy rules", the reality is that we live in a society of frivolous lawsuits and idiot-proof safety rules.

Daybreak simply doesn't want the smoke or moral hazard of even tacitly endorsing third party software. The third party software does not run through their quality controls. Third party software is not tested, curated, or editorialized by Daybreak.

There is actually precedent (at least in an ethical sense) of businesses having to provide anti-virus and identity theft monitoring when customers have been hacked even though the account information was handled by a third party servicer. Even though there may be no legal obligations, the "buck stop with them."
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Make a list of software that isn't allowed and as new ones pop up that are not on the list you will get people complaining that they didn't use anything on that list because it wasn't updated yet.
  16. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Well then don't punish people retroactively. Simply put out a post that nobody can comment on, saying program-X is now banned, anybody found using after this date will be punished. When they try to make an excuse, the GM can simply copy/paste the link to the post. It's not that hard.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And you miss the point completely, what program people are using is never the problem but what they are doing with that program. If they are using a new program that is not on the list to cheat people can still get banned for it. If you just ban based on a list the cheat makers can just compile it as a new program as soon as the current one gets on the list.
    Celephane likes this.
  18. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Dude are you ever paying attention? The cheaters are ALWAYS looking for ways to beat cheat detection. Somebody in my guild said that less than 12 hours after the patch the other day, when they apparently beefed up the VM detection code, that there had already been a way found to beat that. Cheaters will ALWAYS cheat. But since this thread is specifically about ONE program, I challenge you to name just one way it can be used to cheat. One.
  19. Celephane Augur

Dude are you even paying attention?

Skuz and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are correct which is why maintaining a list of banned programs is pointless because it would likely need updating just as soon as you update it and the cheaters change the names of their programs.
    Celephane and Nennius like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.