Windows XP and Vista Support

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by RadarX, May 2, 2017.

1. Iven the Lunatic

The problem is that the work around patch files will be outdated sooner or later. Lets say someone has a serious loss in data because of a damaged hard disk drive or because some files get deleted then the current work around patch files do not help. It does not help new and returning players that use XP and Vista too. Also the archive file will get bigger and bigger with time. The only solution would be to host the whole 9 to 10 GB of the installation and keep the archive updated.

Daybreak could just run a FTP server so that players could synchronize missing files by themself. The current patcher is just not needed to run the game or to change setups as we know as EQ could basically be run on Windows 95 like in the past. The patcher is only required to update and synchronize the files on the hard disk with the files from the server. The official statement that there is no possible solution is not true and I wonder if Daybreak made a contract with Microsoft as the changes made to the patcher and the ended support for XP and Vista is pure economic politics and not a technical problem.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Daybreak said they stopped XP support over a year and a half ago. When you are not supporting an OS you don't contact Microsoft looking for ways around a problem with an OS you don't support.

I know a lot of people are unhappy with this but it is that simply unfortunately. Same with setting up a FTP server or hosting files. Not supporting XP or Vista means they aren't going to do anything for XP or Vista. Even with this being the case they still checked to see if they could find an easy work around for what they thought would be a reasonable amount of effort but were unable to do so.

And I don't recall their wording but I think it was along the lines of we can no longer continue support not that there was no possible solution. And asking microsoft for support on outdated OS is not free. Companies that go to Microsoft for XP or Vista support have to pay for it. Not cheap either.

I am sorry they stopped supporting XP on VIsta for those who don't want to upgrade but there is also something to be said for them using their resources on other things.
  3. J'bone Journeyman

New problem related to this problem, I think. I cannot use Uninstall Program from my control panel to uninstall EQ and EQ II from my hard drive on my windows vista machine. Any thoughts?
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

For EQ you can just delete the folder. Not sure about EQ2 but EQ doesn't make any registry changes so it isn't important to uninstall form the control panel.
  5. Geroblue Augur

My Vista computer, which has better hardware than my current computer, was waiting for me to rebuild it. Hard drive problems. Anyway, my current computer works just fine with EQ. I don't need Vista support.
  6. Kaponen Lorekeeper

So I have been using the workaround downloads for my desktop PC until I can afford to buy a new one, and I appreciate that a few people have been keeping up with posting them for us obsolete gamers lol...the only problem is, I noticed there was a small patch a few days back that was added through the launchpad, and ever since that was added, I cant get past the character select on this pc :( (it may have been the 25th?)

Has anyone posted that small patch workaround for the XP/Vista users? If so, can you please link it for me!? If not, please say a prayer/light incense that it is added soon while I'm on days off lol
  7. Qindere New Member

You should not be on the net if you are on XP. WannaCry is a great example of what happens when you use an os that no longer gets updates.
    Geroblue, Skuz and Smokezz like this.
  8. Purelogic Lorekeeper

Could you guys post patch files each patch like some of the members do to help others out on xp/vista?
  9. Bigfan Augur

https://mega.nz/#!AuIFhDSJ!W0p0gk6NZtGYxHwfS9zOv843tctUP8075IOBRycb_Wc

updated for 21/06/17

Todays files...

**** Starting at Thu Jun 22 01:20:23 2017 with plug-in 1.0.3.195 ****
    3b04-00:00:06:Checking game installation...
    3b04-00:00:07:Found 21 file(s) to update.
    2354-00:00:07:Replacing Resources/characterpropertysets.txt
    1734-00:00:07:Replacing environmentemittersnew.edd
    27ac-00:00:07:Replacing Resources/Achievements/AchievementCategories.txt
    2354-00:00:08:Creating Resources/loadzone.txt
    2354-00:00:08:Replacing Resources/requirements.txt
    27ac-00:00:08:Replacing Resources/Achievements/AchievementCategoryAssociationsClient.txt
    27ac-00:00:08:Replacing Resources/Achievements/AchievementComponentsClient.txt
    2354-00:00:08:Replacing Resources/SpellStackingGroups.txt
    2354-00:00:08:Replacing uifiles/default/EQUI_LootSettingsWnd.xml
    2354-00:00:08:patching dbstr_us.txt
    2354-00:00:08:patching EQGraphicsDX9.dll
    27ac-00:00:09:Replacing Resources/Achievements/AchievementsClient.txt
    2354-00:00:09:Replacing eqlsnews.txt
    27ac-00:00:09:Replacing Resources/actortaginfo.txt
    2354-00:00:09:patching eqmain.dll
    27ac-00:00:10:patching spells_us.txt
    2354-00:00:10:Replacing eqnews.txt
    2354-00:00:10:Replacing eqstr_us.txt
    1734-00:00:10:patching eqgame.exe
    2354-00:00:10:Replacing oldcommons_chr.txt
    2354-00:00:10:patching OptionsEditor.exe
    Finished downloading 1,821,176 bytes in 7.571 seconds (240,546 bytes per second)
    Saved 5,733,497 bytes with delta patches
  10. Mybag Journeyman

Does anyone have just the files so I can copy paste to my eq file vs running a install program?
  11. Bigfan Augur

*shrug* and no, keeping things like this and I won't change it, if you don't like it, then go upgrade your archaic computer.
  12. Frank New Member

Thanks for the link and files, really appreciate it over here.
  13. toodlem Elder

Thanks so much pissed. I totally appreciate your willingness to help us "old" folk. I am able to get to the server select screen, but sadly am not getting in.... anyone have any suggestions other than buy a new computer?
  14. toodlem Elder

oops... finally got in... God bless you guys for making it available to us
  15. smash Augur

But in a way, thats the small prolem, of getting latest files.

What if you played a few months ago, and now got back, you will then miss the previous and those b4 Again and maybe b4 Again.
  16. toodlem Elder

N/M ... got in finally. Yeeeee Haaaa!
  17. Mad Thaumaturgess New Member

I have tried 2 times to get the files installed. I get the 1071 error about needing to run the patcher again. I have no idea what is wrong. Thank you in advance for any help.
  18. Geroblue Augur

As pointed out a few posts ago, XP and Vista are vulnerable to your computer being taken over. Holding on to them, and using them on the Internet, is not good. I have an XP laptop, but it will never connect to the Internet again. You run a large number of risks that are not worth it.
  19. Mybag Journeyman

no worries, I copied them over myself and when Kahlev posted the patch files you only had to copy and paste them, sorry but installing and running a program from you seems risky not to mention your forum name.
  20. Smokezz The Bane Crew

ROFL... LOL...

You're talking about risk and you're running XP or Vista? Priceless.