Windows XP and Vista Support

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by RadarX, May 2, 2017.

1. McDougal Augur

Funny, when I first started playing EQ XP wasn't an option. 98 worked fine. Linux never did work.
    Janakin likes this.
  2. DebonAir Lorekeeper

Corwyhn, you are focusing too much on the phrase "minimum system requirements", which btw was brought up by RadarX at the start of this thread (and only quoted my me) and you are either missing or ignoring the fact, that the recommended specs in official EQ FAQ are mentioning Windows 7 as the only OS since the end of 2015!
    You wrote, you can't see the contradiction between the statements on an obscure Daybreak support site and todays state of the official EQ FAQ? Then my only advice is: read it again!
    The customers can't know which statement is correct and which statement is erroneous. And correcting the erroneous one is actually Daybreaks job - which could be done in less than 5 minutes by editing one the their website.

But this doesn't fix the next contradiction: Why does Everquest run smoother on an laptop with ancient hardware and a now unsupported OS than on an laptop with recent hardware and a current OS? (see my post above)
    Is it because the current OS isn't supported - like the current state of the official EQ FAQ suggests - or because they need to put a lot of work in the EQ client? (probably more than 5 minutes worth of work! ;) )
    Don't get me wrong, i don't argue against dropping the support of Windows XP, instead i argue for making EQ work better with recent OSs and hardware! I would really like to see the dropping of an deprecated OS - albeit only by the Launchpad up to now - as a sign, that Daybreak puts their resources into better supporting the more recent ones.
    For the sake of the argument: Windows 7 is out of Microsofts main stream support since january 2015 and now in the 3rd year of its 5 year extended support. It's even somewhat hard to buy a fresh copy of Windows 7 at the moment. The recent Windows version is Windows 10. Does Daybreak really need another reason, to put more efforts in better supporting it?

And of course i really would like to see better customer information from Daybreak regarding those kind of changes!
  3. Basak Augur

Both mean the same thing. There is no contradiction.

Because it was designed on older hardware so it will naturally run better.

A lot of work is likely required to bring it up to current hardware.

Times change. I'm impressed they were able to sustain it into later Operating Systems as it is, a lot of my games even newer than EQ (like 2002ish) are not running on Windows 10 at all, which is why I keep my XP machine around, to play those games. Ironically, I upgraded all but two of my systems to Win10 because I expected EQ to not run on 10 so I kept those two at XP and Vista, which are now no longer supported, though they will stay at XP/Vista because of the previously mentioned older games that do not run on Win10.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Kaley_D'vere Journeyman

This is likely occurring because you have a multi-core CPU which is prominent on newer computers. You can optimize it to run much better:

http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Graphics_and_performance_settings_guide

Scroll down to "CPUAffinity" subtitle.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Interesting that the huge world wide ransom malware that just attacked last Friday occurred mostly on windows xp quote: "This week it was suggested that 90 per cent of NHS trusts in the UK were using Windows XP – a 16-year-old operating system." That was in London and shut down hospitals, doctors, procedures, rail lines, Fed EX etc.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

And a great many ATM's around the world still use XP.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I am guessing ATM's are on a completely separate network, and are inaccessible from the internet and normal workstations? They are probably more secure than the standard win10 gaming machine... At least i hope so...
  8. Drcoracle Journeyman

The only ATM's on the internet are machines that belong to independent cash retailer's who charge 3 to 5 dollars per transaction. The ones you see in quick stop stores like Circle K, etc. Many are on the internet but most used closed link satellite communication. Banks, the banking clearing houses, the Federal Reserve, etc, are not on the Internet and you know it.
    Take a look at the frequencies my business internet comes to me on. Comcast binds 16 channels to provide the bandwidth I am paying for.
    Banks and other secure institutions are on frequencies that your home or business Modem cannot even get to. That's not to say a very good hacker cannot get there, but it is not that simple. He is going to have to be a hardware hacker and a software hacker.
    So the banks XP box is, on a different channel if you will, behind a Linux proxy server, and behind a Cisco firewall and more. And MS, updates commercial installations of XP. They are not going to tell the Bank of America to go to hell on support, but you?

Index

Lock Status

Frequency

657 MHz
    663 MHz
    669 MHz
    675 MHz
    681 MHz
    687 MHz
    693 MHz
    699 MHz
    705 MHz
    711 MHz
    717 MHz
    723 MHz
    729 MHz
    735 MHz
    741 MHz
    747 MHz

SNR

34.926 dB
    34.926 dB
    34.484 dB
    34.082 dB
    34.484 dB
    35.084 dB
  9. Febb Augur

I worked in the ATM industry for a while with one of the largest processor networks. I handled the compliance of encryption for ATM's all over the country. Only a select few ATM's are running some type of Windows OS. Most are running their own software OS coded by the manufacture for the ATM.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

I bow to your knowledge. I heard that on CNBC. Must remember to verify quotes.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And any ATMs still using XP were getting updates all along. Microsoft continued XP support for ATMs for a hefty fee.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

A lot of ATMs world wide still run XP from what I have read though it is a modified version. But not only are these modified versions but they have no internet connections in most cases and were still getting updates form Microsoft for a hefty fee.

Depending on which article you read about 75% or more of the worlds ATMs are still running modified versions of XP. I don't believe that is the case for the newer atms that are appearing across North America though. I think we have been a bit ahead of the rest of the world on this.

http://info.rippleshot.com/blog/windows-xp-still-running-95-percent-atms-world

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/08/xp_embedded_atm_security_cutoff_panic/

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/technology-news/95-percent-of-atms-still-run-windows-xp/

https://www.fastcompany.com/3028791...on-windows-xp-which-means-its-vulnerable-to-h
  13. Janakin Augur

So I can use Windows XP to withdraw cash to buy a newer PC to play EQ? Would that mean EQ still supports XP? I am so confused :p
  14. Kyra_Succubus Journeyman

Could anyone be kind enough to upload the latest patch files here, please? :) I checked PissedCustomer's signature as he suggested we do, and couldn't find anything (old or new).
  15. Brudal Augur

16. Kyra_Succubus Journeyman

17. Bigfan Augur

18. Kyra_Succubus Journeyman

19. Bigfan Augur

Uploading patch file to mega.nz will post it when done.
  20. Bigfan Augur