Windows 11 and stops responding

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Harmson, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Harmson New Member

I try to load eq and can get as far as server select. Once I chose a server, the screen resizes into some window and just freezes. No characters or graphics load, its just black screen windowed and I cant minimize, quit, nor cancel in any way short of logging out.
    I use Windows 11, ATI radeon rx 580 graphics, and an Alienware desktop. 32 gigs of ram and above specs for everything needed to run the game.

Please dont make me run back to EQ2.
  2. N0Progress New Member

Similar issue with Windows 10 and a AMD 6900XT. After a reboot, I tried bringing up my AMD Radean driver software and it said the driver did not match the hardware. So I reinstall the video software and reboot. Crashing same place, though my Radean software is still working now. Also when EQ crashes, after a minute a AMD Radean bug report message pops up.
  3. Harmson New Member

well, updated amd drivers this morning. I went into configuration for EQ and made sure I chose a resolution that was not 640x480. I currently run 1920x1080 but eq doesnt have that option in the configuration. Running Radeon RX 580 with 22.1.2 driver installed. Intel Core i5-10400 cpu, 32gb ram, 2 TB hard drive SSD, and updates currently none available for Windows 11. I let sit and after 10+ minutes there was no error reports from amd to pop up. If I goto task manager, eqgame is not responding is all I get. I have reset, rebooted, and next step is to re install.
  4. Zanarnar Augur

OK so, first time playing, or did everything work fine until the patch yesterday?

First time playing, you likely need the proper DirectX 9.0c runtime installed. Try to download and install this from microsoft and see if it fixes your issues.

If it worked until yesterday then stopped, you might have an issue with some missing library. There are some other posts on it crashing on launch with a 0xBLAHBLAHBLAH code, but no fix for that yet. Hanging at a black screen smells like DirectX 9.0c missing though.
  5. WhomIt May Concern New Member

Version 22.2.2 drivers came out today. Try it. You might have to select it in the dropdown.
  6. Rhend88 New Member

Not sure if you're still having an issue with this, the post is a couple months old, but i was having the same exact issues. I've found a fix that has me back up and running again without any issues...at least so far.
    • Right click on the EQ shortcut and open properties
    • Click on the compatibility tab.
    • In settings check "Disable fullscreen optimization"
    Works like a charm for me now! I hope this works for anyone who's having the same problem! :)
  7. Cloudsong New Member

this worked for me too! i was having the same issue. thank you so much!
  8. killaton New Member

i tried all these option and still had zoning issues with a I7 12700f 2.10 ghz processor and rtx geforce 3060 graphics card. once i finally got logged into game and was able to tweak the option i found the background fps being standard minimum was reason for crashing while zoning after setting background frames per second to 60 i stopped having the not responding when i zoned.
  9. killaton New Member

Well still having problems with new pc with windows 11.
    I have tried everything on all these forums and still dropping connection every zone to every 3rd zone. Increased background frames per second allowed me to zone at least once before the fatal not responding. This is costing me real money as yime of writing I am resending the $1800 pc I bought from ibuypower fresh out of the box only everquest and full updates drivers windows etc bios etc. Still crashing while fatal not responding task manager.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

Dropping connection while zoning can be an Internet thing too. Assuming you had an older PC running EQ did you have issues with it?
  11. tigersnack Journeyman

SAME CRASHING for me..,.Can get to the main screen but when I press PLAY I get the game window for a second, screen flickering like it is trying and then the game window shuts down completely.
    Windows 11 on brand new:
    HP OMEN 30L, 64 ram, RTX-3090 display on a Life's Good OLED 55-inch TV instead of a monitor

I tried for 15-20 hours...followed several guides. If I update or check all the related drivers AGAIN, I will scream. SOMETHING in Windows 11 crashes older games!

Yes..... tried compatibility mode settings for 2 hours, using every bit of troubleshooting techniques using all the settings along with my video card settings.
    ALSO CANNOT RUN ----- CIV 4. It crashes same as EQ. LOTRO is OK but game crashes in FULLSCREEN hi res settings. I can set it for 1280 x 1024 and nothing higher works in fullscreen mode.

Worked with EQ Techs for a long time and we both determined WINDOWS 11 was the culprit.
    ALSO...... READ about the WIN 11 GENERIC PNP MOINTOR bug. Since Im using an OLED TV instead of a monitor, there are no driver updates for LG (Life's Good) TELEVISIONS....they only have drivers for their monitors. I have a 2nd old PC that runs the game fine so I tried the monitor instead of the OLED TV. SAME THING.

WINDOWS 11.............................WAIT for the bugs to be fixed before upgrading !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  12. tigersnack Journeyman

Didnt work for me.....darn!