Windows 10 - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gesiah, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Chorus Augur

The problem is that off doesn't really mean off in win10. It means partially off, which isn't a good thing. Its a lot like hitting unsubscribe from a non-trusted mailing list only to have your email address verified and suddenly auto-subscribed to many other useless email lists.
    moogs likes this.
  2. moogs Augur

I think you can upgrade to 10 and try it out. If you don't like it, you can roll back to 7 within 30 days. It stores everything in C:\Windows.OLD for a while. Whether you want to trust that it's going to work properly when the time comes is another story.
  3. Risiko Augur

I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7, and I like it for the most part. I have a nvidia graphics card, and I don't have issues with it in Windows 10.

That all being said, I prefer my other computer; my MacBook Pro. OS X is a fantastic operating system. I wish DBG would create a wrapper to run the Windows-based EQ client on OSX.
  4. Nedrom Augur

Quotes like this show why SOE and Sony was hacked so easily for years and lost our account info.

Such a bad representation of your company. Tsk tsk

For your job sake... You better hope your company lawyers are not reading this thread.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  5. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

Well that escalated quickly. You also came off as someone who doesn't know anything about anything with that reply.
    Nolrog likes this.
  6. Nolrog Augur

Windows 10 seems to be decent (better than 8 for sure) but I had some sound issues on both computers I installed it on. One was fixed by re-installing the sound driver but the other, I still have issues with some youtube videos.

The other thing is that the system process eats more and more memory (I'm up to 1643.1 MB). They say it's not a bug but a feature, but I find when it gets up that high, my system gets a bit sluggish. IMO, it's a memory leak (I have just this edge browser running right now, besides all the crap in the background.)
  7. Mediik Augur

I like Win10. If you are on the fence and you have the ability to roll back to Win7 you should consider doing it anyway just to lock in the free upgrade for the future. There will likely come a time down the road when you have a reason to upgrade. Might as well get it for free while you can for the first year.

Explained Here - Why to Upgrade to Win10

Windows 10 Does collect Data on you. To be fair, they are transparent about it and it's pretty easy to go in and disable all of that stuff. The big thing, if you are concerned about privacy is not associating your PC login with a Microsoft account.

Explained Here - How to Configure Win10 Security
  8. Zanarnar Augur

To add a bit here, if you really want to stop the spying on you MS is doing; grab this and run it after installing/upgrading to 10:
    https://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?72686-Spybot-Anti-Beacon-for-Windows-10

Seems to tweak all the right settings to turn it off. I've been running it since July and after replacing the start menu with a properly good one from stardock (start10 is great!) and manually editing the theme to get back my black window borders I'm pretty ok with Win10.

However I still use Kubuntu for most of my day-to-day computing and only boot over to Wintendo to game or do visual studio work. The more games ported to linux the less I have to do that too; and the happier I am in general... :) Here is to hoping some day I won't have to keep switching back and forth ;)
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Motherlee Augur

I had less trouble with 10's UAC than I did with 7.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  10. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Win10 is superior to 8 by lightyears and 7 but a reasonable amount. The privacy concerns people constantly bring up are only true if you refuse to make an even minimal effort to turn them off; and they do actually turn off. I turned them all off as part of the upgrade and have had no issues at all. The majority of people who claim that 'you just can't opt out' are likely using Cortana. If you don't use her then you can most definitely opt out from all of them.

Only if you do not turn off all of the things that it blatantly states that monitors your activities. You can most definitely turn off completely all of the privacy concerns; it will result in loss of some of the features of Windows 10 as they are tied together, namely Cortana.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Brogett like this.
  11. Eriadoc Elder

Win10 Enterprise at work (we're a MS dev shop) - tried to install a VPN client after disabling UAC, and it would not work. Could not do "Run As Administrator" at all. Ended up opening a command prompt with "Run As Administrator" and launching it from that and it worked. Found out that MS has a set of rules for developers surrounding the UAC and there are two levels of admin. The behavior is different from Win7 if you turn it off.

When I want something off, I want it OFF.
    Motherlee likes this.
  12. Ragbert Elder

One way to put this whole thing in perspective is to weigh the pros and cons for you, the computer owner, the customer... Oh, wait, there is no benefit of any kind to anyone whose data is collected.
  13. Chorus Augur

Not really. I turned off all those things, including cortana and the auto-updates *still* pushed patches on me as well as using my bandwidth in a peer to peer connection to push updates to other users. I'm sure there will be 3rd party utilities coming along to remove those headaches, but until they do, I'm not going back to 10. That spybot one earlier in this thread is a good first step; however, it does not address everything.

My issue with it isn't just the collectors, its forced updates. For example, browsers are disabling Java in the newer versions, I use java reliant software via browser for many job functions so these types of things being auto-updated can literally put me into a state of downtime for my job...this is unacceptable. I like getting paid for the work I do and if I'm spending hours forcefully reverting changes that I did not approve to my OS in the first place in order to do my job, then its an issue. I also stated there are numerous compatibility problems with win10 that will not function with older software at all (or even the current version of office which crashes constantly under win10), and again, that is related to some of the support functions of my job so one more reason ...

Yes, I did go through the options to turn everything off...no, it doesn't actually turn it all off in a meaningful way. Look more closely at what your background processes and network are doing and you'll see it.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Thanks for the post. You have given me a few more things to think about before I decide on switching over or not. I did think I read we could turn off that peer to peer connection assisting others in dl's of updates though.

Are you seeing the browswer issues with java in more then one browser or one in particular?
  15. Windd Journeyman

Nay its in beta. their using you to test it.
  16. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Then there is something wrong with your install. The patches are going to be sent to you regardless because otherwise they can be held responsible for any security holes in the programs. However, none of my bandwidth is being used for any peer to peer connections to push data to any other users. You either do did not have your settings set up how you thought you did, or your system has a corrupted file that is preventing the setting changes from being applied correctly.

Java has a number of security holes, which replacement engine that the newer browsers are using does not. The only reason that the Edge Browser does not allow Java yet, is because they have not released extension support for it yet; which I think is due sometime this month or next. At that time Java and all the other add ons will be able to work with it. Additionally, all of the other browsers I know of allow you to turn on Java if you so wish to. The OS has nothing at all to do with Java, not one lick.

Windows 10 is not Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows XP; but they ALL had compatibility issues with software designed for the previous versions of the OS. That is what compatibility mode is for; you choose and you can have that program ran like it was in 7, 8, 8.1, XP, ME, 98, or 95, however there it will have a slight slow down because it has an extra layer of work due to compatibility mode. I would question the stability of your computer or the correctness of the program in questions install if the current versions of programs which were designed for Windows 10 are crashing on a regular basis.

Sorry, but I have gone through every options and it did turn everything off in a meaningful way. I have constantly monitored my background processes and network on both my computer and at the router level, and know that there is nothing happening that I did not allow or trigger.
  17. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Using Internet Explorer/Microsoft Edge in 2015 is like having unprotected sex. You're just asking for virtual STDs (malware, viruses etc) and for your computer to become so infected with it that it crashes often or fails completely and requires a clean install and a potential loss of your data in the process.
  18. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

have you tried opening it up and removing the CMOS battery to reset the bios? I've yet to hear of anyone else having the same issue you did and it being related to Windows 10 itself. I'm not Windows/Microsoft apologist by any means but they're no better or worse than any other big company in the IT industry.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  19. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

So is using Foxfire, Chrome, or any other internet browser. Also Edge is a completely separate browser from IE. It is a completely new browser.
  20. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

OS X is great but Apple hardware is extremely over priced and years behind everyone else as far as the tech goes. They're also harder to work on, upgrade and repair than a comparable PC or laptop. You could always build a Hackintosh and use OS X on any PC of your choosing and dual boot into Windows and even throw your favorite flavor of Linux on it as well if that's something you'd be interested in. Even AMD systems can be Hackintoshed now. Google Niresh Hackintosh distros for more info about that.