Will you be 50 before Kunark?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tulgin, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Ishbu Augur

I play casually and yes ill be 50 before kunark comes out. Not really a big deal.
    Nolrog likes this.
  2. Elkay Augur

Yes, I consider the server a fail for the average player if they can't begin raiding era content until just before (or after) an expansion is over.
  3. Sagnid Augur

It doesn't change the fact that this entire post is pointless and incorrect. You and I do not know what the exp rates are per say. And I personally can refute your information with parable data from a much higher level, over a much longer period of time.

I grade you an A for thinking through a problem, but a D for not enough effort. Using a Wiki document as source data instead of your own hard data through logs is laughable.
  4. Tulgin Augur

How can you get logs of XP numbers? It doesn't show anywhere in the game. Also that requires more than a 30 second google search by the sounds of it.
  5. Nolrog Augur

I'm not so worried about hitting 50 by an arbitrary date. I'm playing and having fun, and that's the bottom line. Don't treat the game like a job, where you have to sit and play until you get xxx amount of XP today or else you don't go to bed. Just have fun, and the levels will go by and you'll hit 50 before you know it, and long before Kunark opens.
  6. FurySoul Augur

you would have to run many many tests of gains and represent variables. You would have to find the functions through mathematics.

I am no expert but you could do things like, level 1 (solo) - killed "X" number of "Y" mob to gain "B" % of experience. then do this for level 2 , 3, 4, until you cannot gain experience anymore. and continue these types of processes throughout the game until you get to 50. then compare your data against other things like different "Y" or a combination of "Y" "Y1" "Y2" etc etc.

Once you have an idea of the exp gains among level and mobs you can then take that data and compare it against spawn rates , spawn numbers , kill speed and other variables of time to get a holistic picture of what is the true struggle to attain level 50 and how that could relate to different play styles.

PS: I am not a math major so don't fault me if i am wrong about something, instead correct the error and let us all know. I hope this can help people have a better understanding of the problems though.
  7. Demoncrusher Lorekeeper

You can't take total xp numbers and calculate from it. You have to look at xp/kill. Some mobs give more xp, some zones have higher ZEMs, and some mobs can be killed faster and easier than others, especially when you look at certain milestones that classes get both in spells/skills and gear that help their power growth.

In other words it's not linear advancement to the total exp needed to reach 50.

Anecdotally, I've been in 3 separate groups today on Phinigel. The first I built with people on the LFG list, and had a full group in about 5 minutes, and that was 8am in the morning. The other two I just put on LFG and was picked up within minutes. There are so many people grouping it's amazing. It doesn't matter what class you play, you will most likely find a group and get picked up with very little time spent LFG which increases your overall xp/hour rate.

So my advice is to stop worrying about it and go get your group on. Join a guild, there are a ton of them. This server is supposed to be about restoring the social interaction and building the bonds that make EQ special. The endgame is just icing on the cake.

Demoncrusher
    FurySoul likes this.
  8. Elkay Augur

"Having fun" for a lot of the people that came here is getting to the raid scene, and doing it in era. Nobody loves the grind, and now that the grind is going to be most (or all) of an expansion's release time, that drains all of the fun out of the game, and a lot of people are realizing it's just not worth the bother.
  9. Batbener Augur

I am level 8 right now, and I will be 50 by mid January.
  10. FurySoul Augur

Nobody loves the grind ???? Really? cause post after post over the years have said other wise. How many times did we all have to read about how this game was easy mode and people could level up way too fast? Aside from the expansion unlock timers, I feel like the community of players finally got their "difficult" (ie time consuming) p99 styled game play and are now regretting this decision.
  11. xakanrn Augur

I wonder why only everquest players seems to think grind a good thing.maybe explains the state of the once king of mmorpg.failure to evolve
    Elkay likes this.
  12. FurySoul Augur

evolve ? If you want the evolved state of EQ then I suggest you play the older TLP's or the Live servers (or try test server out, it's free).

People had been asking for this style of EQ for a long time. They finally got it. Now people (like yourself) are disgruntled about this one servers game mechanics.

You make my head hurt.
  13. Tulgin Augur

I don't think the grind is a huge deal, sure it's a bit boring. Didn't P99 take years between expansions? Remember this is a 3 month unlock, so the XP needs to be in line with that.

If you want XP to be 66% slower than LJ / RF, make the expansions unlock 66% slower.

Fast expansion unlock + slow xp = wtf?
    Ishkur and Elkay like this.
  14. Tulgin Augur

What style have we been asking for? We didn't even know about this information until after the server was released, so how could we have been wanting it?

The entire point of this server was raid instances and no box / bot. No one ever said we want super fast unlocks, super slow xp so we can't see any of the instanced raids, sounds like a brilliant idea.

I think people are annoyed, rightly so, because RF / LJ were complete failures for many people. They've been waiting months for a new progression server with raid instances.

The server finally came, and one small thoughtless change has ruined it for a lot of people. The XP group I was in today, no exaggeration, someone said F this and quit right then and there lol.
    Elkay likes this.
  15. Ishbu Augur

That player was going to quit before velious anyways so it amounts to nothing. This is not that slow of xp at all, and in case you havent realized yet, the game is not a couple of classic eq dragons in an instance, its the leveling up, the grouping with people, the doing things over time, not just one instance randomly one time.
  16. xakanrn Augur

Funny I see posts saying all happy with this server in game yet when I logged folks even in newbie zone were saying they are done.guess I am picking the wrong instances meant only for those unhappy
  17. FurySoul Augur

expansion unlocks and level gaining rates are 2 different gaming aspects. They gave a lot of players the level gaining time sink that had been asked for and then they gave the faster paced expansion unlocks to the ones that had been asking for that.

I guess if you don't like that they did it you don't really have to play, but complaining to the company for trying to do what they can to appease people while also making money is, frankly, idiotic.

None of these problems will have any kind of relevance after PoP.
  18. Tulgin Augur

Well it's back to WoW with me anyway. Just when I think EQ might do something right, it fails hard. Have fun.
  19. Finley Augur

Pretty sure I'll hit 50 before Christmas.
  20. Ladysoth Augur

To answer the question posed by this thread, maybe. Not sure. When the server opened, I ground pretty much nonstop from then to last night when I had to go to bed since I had a funeral to go to in the morning. (Can't be falling asleep in church)

I had several groups that went for 4+ hours, some with an XP pot, and never hit more than 2 levels in one group. And these were pretty optimized groups. I had one uguk group in particular that had 2-5 yellow/red frogs in group constantly minus two short med breaks, with a chanter charming a red frog and a druid charming a croc, mage with a clarity pot, monk with a haste pot, and I had an XP pot going. We were committing genocide on these frogloks. Our group was the visual representation of the frog in a blender joke. Red frogs would go down in about nine seconds. Two levels in about 4 1/2 hours. So...I guess that's better than classic?

The thing is though, that was pretty much the absolute best case scenario. The vast majority of groups are going to be far, far slower. Soloing is also more difficult since pets really get shellacked now, so grouping is the better option. Also, I don't work from home. If I'm off and I can spend 12 hours a day grinding, fine, I guess, but once I go back to work it's going to be a level every couple days if I'm very lucky.

So I might be 50 before Kunark, but I might not. I was also hoping to experience in-era raiding on this server - that's where I had the most fun. Grinding, well, hell, since '99 I've gotten perhaps 19 characters through 1-60, all told. I can do it, I'm good at it, but it's not really what I was looking forward to about Phinigel.

As others have noted, it's just about how you have fun. The people posting "Just slow down and enjoy it, nobody says you have to be 50 and raiding in a week" are missing the point. Slowing down and smelling the roses might be fun for those people, but it's not for everyone. It's a little like me telling someone to "just enjoy your black coffee, man, you don't need cream and sugar", or if you imagine monks were removed from a new progression server, to tell someone who really wanted to play one "Just roll a rogue, man, you should be able to have fun on some other class" It's just kind of nonsensical.

So for some people, yes, absolutely, that would count as "a loss" if you want to put it that way, and there's really nothing wrong with that viewpoint. Positing huffily that that's their problem and you can have fun without doing that is just missing the point. Different people enjoy the game different ways. I had a buddy who took a month to hit level 10 a few years back because he just loved playing the auction game and making money - buy low, sell high, etc. I don't have fun that way, but it's not anybody's place to say anything's wrong with his way of having fun.

As a side note, I'm not really understanding the knee-jerk hostility toward people who post politely that this server wasn't what they were looking for and they were disappointed. Some of the ragers and whiners I can understand getting upset at, but folks, you don't need to get all bent out of shape every time someone posts they were not thrilled by the way this server was set up. It's not a personal attack. They just had different priorities than you - and that's okay.
    Duladin and Elkay like this.