Will mouselook speed ever get fixed?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brumans, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Brumans Augur

We all know the drill - mouselook speed is tied to framerate, and with rendering of characters being CPU bound (instead of offloaded to the GPU like modern games), large groups of people cause your FPS to plummet, meaning mouselook speed skyrockets in that situation, therefore - you just turn right past them every time, heh. You have to fight your mouselook very carefully, or just keyboard turn, or stare at your feet maybe.

Someone opened a bug for it a few years ago it seems, and it got closed as "not a bug" even though it is 100% a bug, lol: https://dgcissuetracker.com/browse/EQ-323

Given that EQ constantly has big raids with large numbers of people, not to mention zones like PoK and GL that people park in...this would probably be my #1 requested thing to see fixed.

Have devs ever commented on this?
    Caell and Xanadas like this.
  2. mesocornaiv Lorekeeper

It may be better to post this under the Support forums for an answer, since this is a long term, gamewide issue.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What you are really wanting is upgrades to the graphics engine to take advantage of modern GPU's which is a different matter.
  4. Brumans Augur

I can't imagine anyone would complain about that - EQ should run at a billion FPS on any modern machine yet it does not.

That said, it still feels like fixing mouse look speed to properly interact with framerate is something that can be done regardless of how things are rendered (at least from my time with writing my own engine back in college like like 15 years ago, heh).
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Writing your own engine from scratch is so much easier then dealing with one that has been around and updated for 20+ years
  6. Herf Augur

7. Kukaw Augur

Are you having issues with just mouse-look, or with terrible lag in general when there are a lot of other toons around?
  8. Kukaw Augur

9. Xanadas Augur

Nah just better coding for the relationship between mouse movement samples and the framerate.

Totally agree w OP though, #ItsTime
    Caell likes this.
  10. Brumans Augur

Exactly! I was hoping a dev like Prathun or Ngreth could pop in and shed some light on the situation.

Hopefully they're still there!
  11. Machentoo Augur

They are both still posting, looks promising.
    Brumans likes this.