Will druids kite again?

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Kalipto, May 30, 2016.

1. Kalipto Augur

Hey fellow druids!

Based on what we've seen with rangers and beastlords, think we'll ever get to kite again? our nukes have our performed our DD's for such a long time. But I miss the days of kiting up a few mobs and finishing them off with nukes.

Will the DoT's we get that are also debuffs be updated too? I really really hope so. That would make using debuffs fun. Debuffs have never really been fun because they're too hard to quantify in terms of usefulness. You know you need them in some cases, but you don't exactly see the outcome of their use.

So just curious what other druids think might happen!?

My hope:
    • DoT's become good enough that we can kite/root rot again
    • Debuffs that contain DoT components get updated damage too
    • Would love more DoT AA's
  2. Rhodz Augur

Never considered root-rotting as kiting when I played the druid or necro.
    Kiting would indicate targets in motion, like a kite, behind the PC hence the name.

I keep hearing all true kiting has been nerfed by design, dam shame if so.
  3. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

You're welcome to have the raid kiting role, sir.
    Soraia likes this.
  4. Iila Augur

The wide open zones in the past two expansions have been filled with snare immune and summoning trash. Then they went back and added snare immunity to trash in older expansions, under the guise of "lowing immunities".

Too lazy to go digging for my pic of kiting 4 wurms around Hoshkar's lair in VP. So just pretended I posted that here.
  5. TillasX New Member

^^^^
    This
    When trash stops summoning and/or being snare immune, kiting can be viable again.
  6. Kalipto Augur

Yeah root rot isn't kiting. I just threw it in there because that's something we could do better if DoT's got improved. But by the sound of it, even trash mobs summon now days so that's out of the picture.

Main reason I wanted some improvement on dots is mostly just so I can solo some xp a bit better. Though maybe there are already more viable ways of solo/molo'ing and I'm not taking advantage of it?

Feel free to clue me in (PM or otherwise) if there are any techniques you'd like to share! I'm newish to druiding and have never really watched a solid druid do their business.
  7. Rhodz Augur

Adding summoning to every rat and snake in the game pretty much kills it and reflects the worst kind of lazy development period. If you want to kite try P99 or some other game nothing much here, boy is that a mouthful.
    Shame too used to be a great way to play, lot of fun and so its gone.
    Tatanka likes this.
  8. GoneFission Augur

Summoning should be left for bosses or specific targets. Trash should never summon. Even the crabs in Tempest Temple summon. Everyone knows what renowned magic users crabs are.
    moogs and Tatanka like this.
  9. Repthor Augur

Summoning/immune mobs should only be
    Raid trash
    Raid bosses
    Group nameds/event nameds

Theres no reason for anything els to be immun to snare/mez/root/stuns (should have deminishing returns so you cant perma stunlock something)
    moogs, GoneFission and Tatanka like this.
  10. Tvarian Augur

Nothing like fooling around with a warrior alt, only to find out the trash mob is immune to snare now, and he walks away to get some friends, and it makes you think that your snare hammer is useless now.

I agree with the points for druids too :) even though I don't play one myself. I do remember adding some dps on some snare kited mobs though with a druid friend, way back when...
  11. Naugrin Augur

Wizard here but yeah they have tried their damnedest to kill kiting while taking 0 responsibility for killing kiting.

It makes me sad.
    Drusi and GoneFission like this.
  12. GoneFission Augur

I haven't found a kite-friendly zone since I out leveled Beasts Domain. The space just outside the Sarith zone line was a fabulous kite zone. Either zone in through Sarith, or zone in from Alaris and evac, succor, or levant to the Sarith side.

Everything since has either been root-rot or triad group.

Remember when the devs didn't dictate play styles as long as players didn't use exploits? Seems a long time ago now.
    Drusi likes this.
  13. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I've had great success kiting in East Wastes. I am curious though if the level 101+ nerf to normal and AA XP in RoF zones is still a thing though? I've been musing getting TDS/TBM, but I'm not a group player and it sounds like all the Leveling spots in those zones summon and are snare immune. If I can't continue to solo for reasonable exp in older content I don't really see the point.

Would be really lame if they design all new content to not allow soloing while simultaneously cutting down old content exp for leveling arbitrarily rather than just having it scale down normally as it should due to level difference.
  14. GoneFission Augur

I bought TBM for spells and AA access, but I haven't done anything in the expansion yet. I have TDS progression up to Caverns of Endless Song. It's true that the progression reward for completing Caverns is to be able to leave the Caverns.

What I've found in TDS so far is that the mobs are either so packed or the spaces so small that kiting is practically impossible. There are often lots of roam era as well. They did make some of the elementals in Drowned Katta snare immune and many of them now summon. That wasn't the case when I first did the entry quests. That really cuts down on soloing that part, unless you can take a pretty good hit.

When I can't kite, my fallback is to 3 box my nec, a shaman, and a wizard with mercs as appropriate. I have found progression slow going so far.
  15. Naugrin Augur

I'm not sure how druid friendly it is but I do my kiting in combine dredge.
  16. Nevadslaldy New Member

Unfortunately this is the case in most of the high end zones, and sort of negates the ability to kite. I too miss being able to kite. Grouping with a druid basically relegates that class to a "healer," but I miss being able to truly solo, and "molo'ing" just isn't the same. I'd hope that with a new expansion coming out sometime this year that we'll get some wide open zones and new DoTs that will enable us to kite again.
  17. Gnomereaper Augur

Quadding was a broken mechanic.

Overuse of immunity tags creates problems for several classes whenever it comes to class interdependency on raiding and grouping. So it is not just a "solo" problem, it is more of a problem with the need to limit player choices on group constructs.

What the larger discussion should be looking at what can be branched out to create different kinds of groups such as kiting mechanics and mobs that have certain mechanics that create a type of areas that make it accessible. This would begin as a discussion to be more lenient towards those kinds of mobs.
  18. Vdidar Augur

Granted I don't play a kiting class often but the other day I logged my necro on because I was bored. Quickly ended that when I couldn't find anything to snare. Really not a fan of much of what has happened to the game the last couple years.
  19. Dre. Altoholic

Start with improving soloability beyond defining "solo vs non-solo classes" and I'm game for that.
  20. Espiritun Augur

Then why is my snare spell designed to hit "up to 4 targets"
    Then why is my DD spells designed to hit "up to 4 targets"

"broken mechanic" is just a salty jelly way of saying "smart ability design use that I cannot do" WAAAAHHHHHHH
    Tatanka and Drusi like this.