Why won't my maps save?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mintalie, May 24, 2019.

1. Mintalie Augur

I click Add Label. I click Save Map. I can see my new label. Everything is beautiful. Then I zone and it all disappears.

What am I doing wrong?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I notice save does not work on the default game map but does on Brewells and Goods and other map folders. There are some other suggestions if you google it like saving maps to special folders etc. I have never done that so can't say - sounds like a lot of work lol.
  3. Mintalie Augur

That's helpful. I have Brewall's downloaded but with revisions made by the guild I am guessing those have been overwritten onto the default. Thank you!
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Make sure you are saving your labels on layer 3, I'm pretty sure the defualt still only updates layers 1 & , which means you should be able to update and save layer 3.
    Mintalie likes this.
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

There are two possibilities, one I discuss in my reply to Yinla immediately after this. The other possibility is that your EQ folder is currently within either Program Files or Program Files (x86), which requires that the game be ran as Administrator in order for you to be able to update the maps. The solution for this is somewhat simple. Cut and paste your EQ folder into a new location; such as c:\games. Now after doing this you will need to make new shortcuts for your launchpad, and the first time you run the launchpad after the move you will want to watch and make sure that it is not trying to redownload the whole game, if it starts to do so, cancel the download and go into advanced settings and click open game directory, if the directory is not the one which you moved the EQ folder to, then delete the folder and files it was starting to download, and go back to the launchpad and click validate game assets, that should find the game in the new location and update the associated files for where to download to, then close out the launchpad and run it again, after that it should be fine. If I am forgetting something, I am sure that someone else will chime in with whatever I might have forgotten to mention.

The majority of maps in default will be fine, but there are like 20-30 maps (maybe more) which have more than just the base file listed. Those 20-30 maps are patched in every time you run the launchpad. What you should do is create a folder within your maps folder (EQ directory path/maps) and name this folder something like MyMaps, then copy (or extract) the maps you are going to use to that new folder. Then when you are in-game open your map window and there is a drop down list (it will currently be set to default) in the drop down list choose MyMaps (or whatever you named the folder) and it will now display the new maps and these will not be overwritten by the game.
  6. Vinjin Lorekeeper

I recently had the same issue but discovered the trick.

If you unzip all of your maps into the default maps folder, they will always be overwritten to the original every time you zone. Not sure why.

If you take the same maps and put them into a sub folder within the maps folder (name it Brewall, Good, MyAwesomeMaps, etc) then switch to that sub folder in the map UI, any changes will then save.
    Fanra likes this.
  7. Mintalie Augur

You guys are gold. Everquest is in its own folder, not inside Programs, so that isn't it--it must be the unzipping. Now I can permanently fix this. Hooray!