Why we should stop boxing on Mangler

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Wisp99, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Garrison Journeyman

I box so I don't have to play with people like you. It's pretty simple. I choose to play this game differently, and within the rules of DBG. Does not matter if you approve.
    EQfun likes this.
  2. Rutaq New Member

Just report everyone you suspect is boxing. I have seen some obvious large groups of 5+ on follow and it is likely that most of those box groups are not running clients on physically separate machines.
  3. Vanrau Augur

You're trying to equate camp stealers to all boxers. Not all boxers will steal camps. People are really bad about generalizing on these forums just because some wipe that happened to be boxing decided to steal your camp.
  4. Vanrau Augur

If it's a bot group then you have a case against them. However reporting people legitimately boxing not only ties up GM's investigating something that isn't against the rules, it will eventually lead them to not answer your petitions.
  5. Rutaq New Member

You can only make your best guess on where it's a bot group and there is a chance that someone is really sitting with 5+ computers and keyboards/numpads everywhere but it is likely the vast majority are not.

The only way to discourage botters is to punish them and the main way to catch them is through players reporting them rather than GMs running around invisible watching every group of players.
    Dunamys likes this.
  6. Arnuphis New Member

Maybe read the line that says 'not all of you are like that' or are you too busy boxing to pay attention?
  7. Machentoo Augur

The GM can't tell any better than you can whether they are using 5 computers or 1. In other words, you are wasting their time.
  8. CaptainSkeet Augur

I box, but only a second char. Main reason is so I can have something to do when I just want to hop on for a little bit. Eq is not a solo friendly game for the most part, especially for melee classes. So, if I didn’t box, the option for short term play is either not log on at all, or log in, hope for a group quickly, hope I can get there quick, then if all that falls together, leave the group shortly after I arrive. If I’m the healer or tank, sorry group I just wasted your time.

Second reason is to make groups work. Usually I box a tank and healer, such as SK/ SHM or War/Clr. This time I did Dru/Chanter for something different. Currently, when we have a ridiculous amount of people in the newbie and low level zones, it doesn’t matter a whole lot what you have, basically something that can heal and whatever else works. Down the road, when this initial rush and excitement wears off, the standard “heal/tank/slower/cc” requirements start to matter a whole lot more, generally right when the population is in decline. When I can start a group with 2/3 of the essentials already covered, it actually improves the social aspect of the game because there are times when without covering a tank or healer or CC, a group simply won’t work and there would be nothing. I can’t count how many times groups were formed and existed and fell apart solely because I could cover multiple required bases, and when I left there simply was no replacements.

6 man box groups can have multiple reasons, sure some are farming, some simply want to play alone, some just enjoy it. But boxing itself is one of the main reasons EQ is still around. The population doesn’t grow. It moves and has spikes, but it’s not on the increase overall, especially compared to its heyday. Old players are literally what keeps it going, as a recent article quoted the head of EQ as saying.
  9. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

If you hate the boxers, do yourself a favor and type in everquest bot in google and report the sites that are selling stuff to make it easy mode.

Otherwise leave the boxers that are actually playing by the rules in peace.

It's stupid easy to see what programs people are using but long as they aren't going nuts on me or friends I don't really care.
  10. Nykara2 Elder

Groups are only there as long as the group holds out. Yes sometimes that can be hours and thats fine. It's legit players doing their thing.

Box armies are there for day after day 24/7 big difference.

Boxers are easy to spot. Massive armoes of similar names all casting at the same time etc. Althoufh its not supposed to be allowed on a Truebox server its still happening. Saw a group in gfay last night after only 10 mins being logged in.
    Koggar.Bertoxxulous likes this.
  11. Machentoo Augur

Neither groups of characters with the same name, nor groups of characters casting at the same time is illegal on truebox.

You do not need to use any 3rd party software to accomplish either.
  12. Nykara2 Elder

I don't think anyones saying not to leave the trueboxers in peace.

Have seen people ask for *one* box free server though which would still leave boxer with like 20 other servers to box in peace on.
  13. Machentoo Augur

Did you read this thread? People have advocated both training them and reporting them all.
    Nessirfiti likes this.
  14. Ceffener Augur

I've been grouping with people all day, not sure how boxers have stopped any of you from doing that.
    Machentoo likes this.
  15. Vanrau Augur

It doesn't matter, you're still generalizing and condemning all boxers because of a bad egg. You just tried to insult me by saying I was too busy boxing to pay attention, that means you don't like boxing at all. I don't even box lol.
  16. Nessirfiti Augur

Nevermind It's really not worth it.
    Dunamys likes this.
  17. Forrendy New Member

I think we should just ban solo players who spend all day whining in general chat they can't find a group. They are far more annoying than any box army rolling over a camp.
  18. Ravilla Journeyman

Thanks bud sounds like you are doing me a favor. You sound like the guy who goes to a party and stands in the corner glaring at others. And its not playing it differently its simply playing it wrong ;)
    Koggar.Bertoxxulous likes this.
  19. Eangel Elder

Last time I checked this wasn't 1692 in Salem, MA. Maybe some folks should read up on history instead of promoting harassment online.
    Nessirfiti likes this.
  20. Nuttmeg Augur

You have a well thought out post. What's your opinion on this; one server for non boxers. Just one. A single server where boxing is completely banned and anyone caught boxing is perma-IP banned from the server.

Is it ok if we have a place to play our way too?