Why was pick changed?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by C3lowz, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Minpire Augur

Can't Level, literally waiting hours now for UNREST pick to pop with 33 people in zone............or to even get some EXP like we use to........waste of time now, not fun. Delays delays delays, cant even play how i want now, Pay $15 a month to sit and hope for a group like its The year 2000.
  2. KPW99 Lorekeeper

Go somewhere else then
  3. Draekon Elder

Had a lock pick happen to me after a wipe and now all my groups corpses are gone, gg
  4. Kiani Augur

Are you aware that if you consent someone, it tells you which zone and pick your corpse is in? Handy if you don't know the pick you died in, or are unsure whether your corpse has popped to the base pick.
  5. Mashef Augur

This change is crushing the ability to level new toons as expected and the desired effect has been accomplished.
    If they cared about the life cycle of Phinny then the exp would be drastically increased so that exp in zones without huge ZEM is justifiable.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

You might want to work on your situational awareness.
  7. Invictus New Member

This change is a complete failure. Had this been in place with the launch of Phinigel, the population would have been HALF of what it was at the very most. The only saving grace to the extremely slow Xp was being able to at least xp in a pick of the zone you wanted, always groups to find and places to xp, all that is gone now.

The cost of this change is far worse than the minor issues it was causing. Find another way to deal with those issues and restore the pick as it was when you made the server.
    Laynie likes this.
  8. Cleaver Augur

Locking them in the first place was bad. Now removing xp and respawns ? This defeats the whole purpose of instancing the zones when population gets too high. The lack of creative thinking from this dev team is a serious issue.

Stop locking the pick and leave the respawn/xp alone. I better solution is to despawn the pick 12-24 hrs after it spawns if the original zone has 1/3rd of the population needed to spawn the instance.
  9. Ghubuk Augur

12 hours is probably too long, but 2 or 3 would be about right in my opinion.
  10. Draekon Elder

Didnt radar say it looks at both the base pick and the 1st pick and looks for a threshold of 1/3rd the amount of people it takes to pop, and if its less it closes? Just saw a pick close with 12 people in it still and 13 people in base, when it takes 42 to spawn a pick. Corpses gone again after instance locked.. gg thanks DBG

Also it had 18 in the pick before group wiped, and it wasn't locked then. So it locked immediately after, which radar claimed "wouldnt happen"
  11. Ahze Elder

It is 2pm eastern on Sunday, 3 picks of PoFire with 35 in each one. No mobs to kill. What a totally unforeseeable consequence of this policy change! No one could have expected boredom and too much competition for spawn!
  12. Stormblossom Elder

Up until pick patch my average time waiting to find a group was about 30m. Since the patch I have given up and grouped LBs with a lower friend several times. Got a good pull group in Velks and finally made some progress, only to have a PL group train over our heads about 2 hours and successfully drive us from the zone. This is getting really stupid really fast. At least revert pick on Phinny before those of us with no 65 PL box and a mid level main are left in the dust.
  13. Evil.Iguana Elder

They should have rolled out a big reduction in the pick spawn threshold along with this change. Would have gotten the performance benefit of closing many nearly empty zones but ensured that popular zones are getting the number of instances they need.
  14. Maximize New Member

Why are the limited DBG resources being directed at things that a tiny minority (if any) of the population wants, and likely a larger population enjoyed?

There has to be a better way to allocate your resources, I can literally think of 10 ideas off the top of my head that would create revenue for your company AND make your player-base happy, or better yet, not un-happy.
    Gafgarion likes this.
  15. Gafgarion Elder

Why not take things back to the way they were? This was a bad change.
  16. Galleyan Augur

Because #BanFun
  17. Warrior007 53 61 74 6f 73 68 69

that's RNG for you - our first 5-6 vulaks had 4 gharn

i think in 9 sets of kills, we have 4 shinais

on the flip side, we haven't see a cleric hammer, nor a songblade at all
  18. Korillo3 New Member

I did keep track of as many Vulak kills as I could during Velious. I didn't just track AoS's loot, I did pull from every guild I could find who made their dkp public (including Ragefire & Lockjaw guilds). I did it more to track the 4 loot tables rather than the drop rate percentages, although I did include those as well. I was able to gather loot data for 208 Vulak kills, so it's not exactly a HUGE pool to pull accurate percentages from, but it's certainly not a bad data set. If you look up Vulak on alla you can see this data. Bobby was kind enough to post it.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=6566

I suppose I could do the same thing for PoTime. Comparing the Vulak magelo data to my own is quite a difference, so I'm curious if the Time data is a little off as well. And with multiple guilds splitting it I could probably get a reasonable number of kills to pull numbers from. Hmm...
  19. TarewMarrForever Augur

That, my friend, is in fact the ENTIRE reason for this change.

"SomwhereElse" - the name of the Summer 2017 TLP.

I'm only half joking.

These changes were NEVER about improving Phinny. Anybody with half a clue can see that. They are NOT having a beneficial change, and this was KNOWN going into the design and implementation, was KNOWN going into Test, and KNOWN going into Live. All KNOWN by DBG.

Yet they did it. Ask yourself: why?

These changes are about TESTING THE WATERS for the upcoming TLP, while at the same time providing MOTIVATION for players to start over, and get the Krono Mill cranking again, ensuring a successful launch.

You see, DBG knows what I know: Phinny's days are numbered. Post-GoW, it will be a ghost town, as all TLP's fall off after that point. That will not change on Phinny. The bulk of the players are here for nostalgia for what EQ *was* up to GoW. Then many players left, because frankly, the game takes a SERIOUS downturn. TLP doesn't change that. People blame the difficulty of GoW. People blame WoW. No, what changed is the game. It wasn't that it got hard, it was always hard. It was that it got lame.

I said this a week ago: this /pick change was the tip of the iceberg.

Now we know that they will be removing XP and spawns. This was known at the time it was announced, but we weren't told that, because they are smart enough to not give all of the bad news at once. Death by a thousand pricks.

This is ALL about the upcoming TLP. Mark my words.

They are literally making Phinny *worse* to drive people to move to the new TLP to ensure it's successful launch. They are GENERATING demand for their solution by INFLATING an artificial problem on Phinny, and the new TLP will have an elegant (and profitable) solution to that problem. It's a risky move, but if it works, they'll create an entire new revenue stream on the new server that doesn't exist today, and overall, add more total players with each player spending on average more $$$. That's worth the risk.

You watch. I've been saying this ever since the new TLP was announced, and I stand by my prediction.
  20. AgentofChange Augur

You guys are all overthinking this. The reason for the change wasn't some massive conspiracy against anyone when it comes to EverQuest. The reason for the change was simply this. DBG Genius #1, who knows nothing about EverQuest, was tasked with the duty of finding ways to cut costs. While, and I must re-iterate this, knowing NOTHING about EverQuest, he sees something about a change to the EverQuest game which he believes is consuming a lot of room on their cloud servers. When inquiring about this, he learns it has to do with something called pickzones being enabled in the game.

He follows up a little more asking about ways to reduce the number of pickzones that are being open, and is given the answer that closing pickzones will drastically reduce the number that are available at any given time. He says great, go ahead and do that. And here we all are.

TLDR: Some guy who knows nothing about EQ was trying to find ways to free up their cloud server and was told this would do the trick.

Now let us all together pray they never remove shotguns from H1Z1 again.