Why want People play on a server which goes only until POP?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lheo, May 23, 2017.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

They are calling "PoP Locked" because it sounds cool and that expansion set the level limit the server will lock at. However, LoY and LDoN will be the last two expansions to hit the server.
  2. Gerzer Lorekeeper

I want to see how it is to raid on different toons I have never really played...ever... like a cleric. Spent 17 yrs as a Tank...wanna see how the other side lives...and with no mercs...getting groups will be cake almost as easy as being a tank....AND people want their healers to be able to rez
  3. Ultrazen Augur

1. I hate the game post PoP
    2. I can "finish" a character, work towards getting best in slot, and know that it's not going to be replaced in a couple of months. Some of the work you need to do on characters is quite time consuming, it's nice to have a "perfect" character, or at least work towards it.
    3. I genuinely like every class in the game, and would like to level and gear them all, in content that I actually like, and with the ability to group with real people instead of box.
    4. Limited box armies.

Agnarr is literally the perfect EQ for me, and will probably be the last EQ I play.
    Razzle and andross77 like this.
  4. Janakin Augur

No Mercs, ever!
  5. squidgod Augur

For me, it's because I don't expect to want to play much more than a year, and Pantheon is looking like it might hit early access around the time I'll be getting bored with PoP/Loy/LDoN.
  6. Aurastrider Augur

because they cant log in =)
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Actually, this is all probably being done to resolve some long standing bets on whether progression servers lose population due to nostalgia wearing off and people getting bored or because of new expansions opening up.
  8. EnchFWO Augur

Just curious because I'm horrible at math and I'm sure someone has figured it out (and oh yeah, lazy)... anyone calculated the approx. release date of PoP on Agnarr?
  9. Derka Power Ranger

12 weeks of each expansion would be 36 weeks plus 12 of original so 48 weeks from launch. End of April/first week of May 2018 for pop expansion
  10. Bashiok Crownguard Augur

more $$ for stuff like xp potions, and "new blood"

good business sense
  11. DamnataAnimus Elder

Lol...

Something being against the eula doesn't mean it's illegal.

Illegal means this: Contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law.

Can you go to jail for botting? No. Worst that can happen is being banned from the game.

In addition IS Boxer isn't against the eula. I've been using it for years in both eq2 and eq1. Never once have I had so much as a warning let alone a suspension or a ban, and I was posting on the eq2 forums explaining how best to use IS boxer complete with screenshots. Not to mention running around with the last name the multiboxer.

I'm pretty sure that as long as you arnt using scripts to be able to play the game unattended you won't be having any problems.

As for your precious true box server it's still going to be possible to box. Just need to run your clients in a virtual machine., or different machines. Even if they only allow 1 client per ip, vpn's would still allow you to circumvent it. Let's face it boxing isn't a cheap hobby, so what's another 50$ per month. But I'm thinking it won't happen, many households have more than 1 player, eg husband and wife.

To not allow them to connect using the same ip, given many households share the same external ip would just force them play on live potentially losing them the subs. It's probably why sony/dbg don't take action on the accounts of actual botters either.

It's all about the $ at the end of the day.
  12. nantalbus Elder

only 2 types of people play on a locked sever or any TLP server at all.

1. those who have mains on live server and just want something different to do.
    2. those who just can't handle the live game at its current rate.(ie just can't keep up or don't want to play a real game)

group 1 I can understand shoot I got toons on a few server in case I don't wana be found.
    group 2 I just can't get. if you want a water down version of eq go play wow.

the biggest issues I have with these servers is while they can make some changes to just that sever something they change for them effect the liver servers as well. As well as take up derv time spent on them that could better be use for the real game on live.
  13. Quill Augur

Honestly.. it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.. but I think you're going to find a wildly different progression rate across the guilds. We obviously have that one bunch of guys that can field max raids at will, who will be gone with the wind the second Quarm drops. But what happens when you get to more casual raiders? I don't see them simply blowing through some of the content at will, for the express reason that they may not be able to field key classes for certain events, or even be able to raid that often.

Whereas its imperative for a server like Phinny is for people to 'catch up' and instantly pool resources, this server is locked at PoP.. so why? Maybe you're having to hit something with low numbers and the dynamics change? Or you have multiple guilds team up for the bigger events? I can see people being a lot more loyal to their guild on this server, and it having a more Classic Feel as a result. I can also see guilds looking to mine 'Boutique' items every now and then, like the Plane of Sky or the Dozekar quests.

Who cares about those when you've hogrolled past PoP on say Phinny?

That's not to say I don't expect turnover... particularly with the people who only care about finishing the events once. But I think when all is said and done, you'll have a lot more casual raiders on this server than you might imagine.
  14. Forcer Deathmagi Journeyman

Grouping 1st nost 2nd
  15. Terminate Journeyman

I can only speak for myself, but I'm sure there's a few others. I was born in '98, so I didn't get the experience I've always heard about from my parents and friends in game of playing back then. I'm sure it won't be the same, but I've always wanted to experience the older raids and content. I've played on live since I was ~7 years old, so a little switch up will be nice. I still play on live, but at max aa with almost 52k total spent, there's not a whole lot for me left to do currently besides old achievements.
    Aurastrider likes this.
  16. Aurastrider Augur

Your parents are lucky. I really hope that when my daughters are old enough to play EQ will still be alive and strong and they take interest. I hope we can get more young people interested in the game otherwise its going to be a bunch of old people cussing on the forums from the nursing home.