Why want People play on a server which goes only until POP?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lheo, May 23, 2017.

1. Lheo Augur

And what do they do after Time is on farmstatus ? Just curious....
  2. Razzle Augur

Play more than one toon..... there are 14 classes to level up and max gear and AA with.
    andross77 and Coronay like this.
  3. YellowBelly Augur

Better to post this on the tlp forums.
  4. Thraine Augur

most of them are p99 people .. having a lack of content doesn't seem to bother them
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. JohnRT New Member

Considering you have to be all access to get on the server, I doubt its all p99 folks.

I think its more likely that after PoP the game started being not so fun, no mercs, etc etc etc....and true box. Best part of it all.
    Razzle and andross77 like this.
  6. Tachyon Augur

I'm in for the year-long run of a new server! At that point I'll probably jump on the next one.

I'm not even all that excited about anything after Luclin, but I always enjoy getting there!
    Rainhall likes this.
  7. Rauven Augur

Why play on a PoP locked server?

Because we don't have to play with people who don't like PoP locked servers. Nothing personal, just don't want to play alongside you all.
    Malachi and Razzle like this.
  8. Tevik Augur

Question on this server and others like it: do they use the original Freeport zones and other original zones, pre-revamp?
  9. Reynen Journeyman

No
  10. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Let's be honest, anybody who is playing on Agnarr and has finished PoTime is probably done there as LoY and LDoN won't have much appeal for them. But they won't be the majority on this server. Anybody that dedicated to raiding is going to be on Phinigal or a Live server. The detour to Agnarr would be more about server firsts or whatever for them.

The rest of us won't even know what's going on in PoTime. Some of us may raid it casually, eventually, and possibly after we have gear from LoY and LDoN to make it easier. There are plenty of people coming back for this who don't care much about raiding, or who will take what they can get when they can get it.
  11. gnomeboss Augur

nostalgia is the most powerful force in the universe, right behind gravity.
    Quatr, Malachi, Elricvonclief and 4 others like this.
  12. Iyacc Augur

BOOM - this right here.

I can only speak for myself. I played on The Combine when it released and maxed to 65 and did Planes again, in era. I had already done everything but PoTime on Terris-Thule, in era. We never beat Rathe on TT and things fizzled greaty during GoD and then the one after that. My life outside the game changed and my playtime with it. I tried going back to EQ a couple times but was overwhelmed with the changes and content and stopped after levelling to 80 on TT.

I've played a lot of other games since but never got the same feels, even though I had fun and made new friends and played with some of the old ones.

Now I have as much play time as I want and the desire to see and do it again. It's a social thing for me. A few old guildies are joining me and we've found apps who are potential new friends. I enjoyed the earlier parts of EQ when it was all new and you got a real sense of accomplishment from doing whatever it was you enjoyed doing. Later games just didn't have that for me. Will this be the same? Probably not, but I intend to play it and enjoy it the best I can.

If I get some of the same feels, even better.
    Rainhall and Kinelory like this.
  13. Thraine Augur

the hustle and bustle of a new server is exciting tbh :)
    Rainhall and Kinelory like this.
  14. Tachyon Augur

I left Phinny after raiding Time for a few weeks. Loved my guild but just couldn't do that zone over and over and over again. Not to mention that Txevu and Anguish are more or less the same thing with different mobs.

The variety of zones and having to travel as a guild to raid locations is another part I really enjoy about the Classic to Luclin game. It still makes sense to go back and raid even as far back as Classic when you are in Luclin. The same can't be said as the later expansions hit.
  15. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I like that they made this server lock in PoP for all those players that loved playing on the old Mac server. There was a pretty active and friendly player base on that server from what I could tell. They can have a new home :)
    Razzle and Reynen like this.
  16. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Gravity is the weakest of the four fundamental interactions of nature.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity

:cool:
  17. gnomeboss Augur

My like button is gone, Fanra, but you deserve the click. =p
    Fanra likes this.
  18. eqzekisdead Augur

I like everquest and a I like playing with other people. Playing on live servers feels like a solo game now.
    Razzle, andross77 and Rainhall like this.
  19. Sthrncowboy New Member

MMMM....the server locks at pop ... there won't be any loy or ldon seeing as they come after pop..least that how i remember it going ..
  20. VZRetro Lorekeeper

Why I and a LOT of folks like me want to play on Agnarr? For folks like myself, the answer is easy...

I have been playing EQ since 99, and back in those days, groups were abundant, there was no such thing as mercs (which meant that warriors and clerics were constantly wanted), there were little to no boxers (I knew one boxer, just one, out of a very very large circle of friends and acquaintances), and you actually had to work to get anywhere in the game instead of having everything handed to you easily, and you felt that sense of accomplishment.

Face it, these days it is super easy to level up, super easy to get ahead quickly by buying everything instead of working for it, and the game is riddled with boxers and less actual truebox groups. And in some cases, people are using illegal programs that play their characters for them while they are AFK, such as the case with Zek server these days.

Those old days without all of todays crap are what made me and a metric ton of people like me fall in love with EQ. There was/is enough content to keep us busy for many years, levels don't come super easy, money doesn't come super easy, and you actually have to work to get anywhere. Best of all, servers like Agnarr weed out the folks that enjoy the super fast leveling, money making, and 24/7 boxing (the ones us old school fogeys don't wanna play with).

Keep in mind, when EQ was originally created, it was created by hardcore gamers FOR hardcore gamers. We didn't want "easy"... We didn't want to fly through at lightning speed to get there before everyone else. We're the hardcore generation that Loves (with a capital L) the difficult challenge of taking forever to get anywhere without all this new stuff they've added over the years to make the game easier for the not so hardcore players that complained it was too hard. We're the generation that doesn't care how long it takes, and we don't get on here and "grade" the game based on how many bugs or broken things or outdated graphics it has. It's an MMO, it will always have bugs and such, we play to have fun because it IS fun.

We're the ones that see the beauty of EQ and play it the way it was intended to be played. Bugs, outdated graphics, new content constantly coming, and many other things aren't going to deter our generation from playing and loving the game the way we prefer. With Agnarr, we don't have to worry about any of that crap that makes it easy for us. No worries of mercs taking group spots away from real players, none of that heroic character crap, no worries of a ton of boxers outnumbering single account players, no worries of falling behind everyone due to new content and having to change guilds or whatever to play with folks who are where you're at, none of that crap...

No one said everyone has to like the new server. Daybreak is simply catering to those of us who enjoyed our old hardcore days, just as they've catered to those who wanted the rulesets that other servers have. They're making strides to cater to every play style they can, and that is a quality that only an outstanding company can provide. It takes a LOT to keep an MMO up and running, and EQ is 18 years old, so obviously they've done it right or it would have died out long ago like a lot of other MMO's have. Little to no MMO's have lasted as long or put out more content than EQ has. This is a great game, yet people still give them crap for it and insult them over silly small things such as game bugs or whatever.

"Oh this new content sucks... They should've done it this way or that way... When are they ever gonna fix this bug... This company sucks... This game has no challenge... Blah blah blah blah blah..."

The response to all of that is simple, go play another game! lol... I'm sure there are plenty of other games out there who cater to those who grade games on content, graphics, and difficulty that will happily accept your money before it dies out in a couple years while EQ continues to grow and thrive on, as it has for the past 18 years.

Of everything I've said here, I must point out one last thing... None of the above should be construed as me implying that fast levelers, fast money makers, all the stuff that makes the game easier, etc are "bad" things. Some folks enjoy that stuff, and I say "to each their own, be happy and play on". What is "crap" to some is not crap to others and visa versa. It is all about what styles of play that people prefer. Me and my generation just happen to prefer the more hardcore style of play without all the easy crap.
    Razzle, andross77 and Rainhall like this.