Why the secret, unannounced new quests?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by NameAlreadyInUse, Jul 23, 2016.

1. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I wanted to start a companion thread to thanks-for-the-super-awesome-secret-quests. I find it more than a little irritating that new, elite quests would be ninja-placed in the game when one of the biggest issues people have is lack of content and communication from DB.

This was an opportunity to proudly announce some new content, even if it was just an announcement of, "There is a new quest in the game". I am beyond frustrated that I log into these forums almost daily, with one single hope: that I will find some new and hopeful information from DB (not from other players) about something new to do in the game. Instead, we get some truly epic quests that apparently were only disclosed to a tiny handful of DB's closest friends.

A little extra secret stuff would be fine, if it was in addition to regular stuff. But if it is just secret, then it really feels like DB is playing favorites. Either way, it sounds like they missed the marketing target altogether and continue to misunderstand the players: It sounds like most people are farming for this task instead of playing on Quarm?

Bravo for adding new quests. Middle finger for not announcing it or for only announcing it to your inner circle.

And boy am I gonna feel silly if this was announced in an official statement and I just missed it.
  2. Riou EQResource

Just means that each time there is a patch check your achievements, and try to complete all achievements so you can see things that might be flagged as "hidden" :p
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Zebrn Journeyman

I found them in the achievement window and started searching. Lots of good dialogue in the EQR channel, the serverwides and generals. I thought everything about them have been great except the MM issue put a little bit of a damper on things.

Overall, they have been a blast, WTB more of them.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Xanathol like this.
  4. Imak Augur

99.2% of the quests existing in EverQuest have been secret and unannounced. They are meant to be discovered by players. The technical term for this seemingly suddenly bizarre phenomenon is normal operation.
  5. roguerunner Augur

everyone saw it coming in their achievement window
    don't be uninformed talk to others
  6. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Actually, I guess not everybody knew that the Achievement window was an official line of communication nowadays. Maybe that went unannounced too?

I'm not saying anything about the quests themselves, just the lack of an announcement from DB.
  7. segap Augur

Quests should appear without notice. The achievement window is just cheesy and is an attempt at gamifying and appealing to the check mark obsessed crowd. Quests should be something that get discovered. New NPCs appearing, NPCs blabbering about something, new items dropping with interesting lore, etc. It should be about in game immersion and discovery. Not about announcements or even a new check box suddenly popping up.
    Diani, MrMajestykx, Viper1 and 5 others like this.
  8. Cicelee Augur

I was irritated that not only was the quest not publicly announced, but also that I wasn't given all twelve seals in my parcels and an in game email from a developer that said "You are the winner!"
  9. MrMajestykx Augur

THIS.... not sure about previous agreements with Segap on stuff....but man well played well said on this one and nailed it...../drops mic and moves on.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

What is the EQR Channel?
  11. Randragon Augur

Segap wrote;

This is what EQ and MMo Gaming is all about. Hand holding to lead you on quests should never happen. Some folks have gotten so used to the fact that they need them to tell them something went active.

Now with a game the size of EQ that's a little tough to do but with the help of the GM's and some global activity to send up flags, I have to agree with Segap.
  12. Riou EQResource

serverwide.eqresource:eqresource :)

Dunno, if you add content to a game, you generally want everyone to play through it at least once, otherwise you basically wasted your time on something almost no one will see/find, something like this could easily end up being something never found.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were still some older quests that were never found :p. With limited Dev time especially now having content be like that isn't really a good thing.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  13. Xorsazis Augur

These quests are the reason I still occasionally visit Shard's Landing and talk to the folks at the "unused" portal.

Someday....
    Dzarn likes this.
  14. Riou EQResource

Unless they re-purpose the portal that zone was canceled, Absor? talked about it in an interview thing with the Dev team a few years back it was a giant Muffin shaped zone and that, but wasn't fun so they scrapped it.
  15. Xorsazis Augur

They did Plane of War eventually. Someday!
    roguerunner and Riou like this.