Why People Threatened by Agnarr???

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, May 23, 2017.

1. hein Augur

Everyday there are post asking why people would want a server like Agnarr, that ONLY goes to PoP. Likewise, the other night I saw a guy go off all night long, foaming at the mouth about Agnarr. It reminded me of mindless political rants, where every thought is purely based on emotions that come from zero facts or rationality.

Why are so many people upset, and threatened by Agnarr?

Like it or not, it's probably going to be the most successful server ever released in EverQuest, at least in the last 10 years. Oh, and yes, it will continue to thrive long after it locks. If you don't want to play on it, then just don't! Seriously, why are people so triggered over things that don't even effect them?

Anyways. Looking forward to Wednesday!
    nirriri and andross77 like this.
  2. AgentofChange Augur

Wrong forum section friend
    Coronay likes this.
  3. Tachyon Augur

People always fear change.
    andross77 likes this.
  4. Smokezz The Bane Crew

The people that read the forum you posted this on, don't care about Agnarr. You've posted this in the wrong place.
  5. MrMajestykx Augur

wrong thread quit posting this stuff here there is a forum for it.
    Reynen likes this.
  6. Reht The Dude abides...

I am more threatened by poor grammar in thread titles than i am by Agnarr.
  7. Rauven Augur

Several reasons:

1. Jealousy and Envy. People do not like seeing others content. Either out of some sort of self-guilt that they believe everyone should share. Or its because they simply do not like to see others having fun with something they like. Its irrational, but most reasons for this are.

2. Greed. Agnarr will invariably draw people away from other servers/games. Hell It drew me away from FFXIV. That's pretty big if you think about it. Players are established on servers and wish to profit from the population of those servers. When people leave, they feel such revenue (items, plat, dollars) stalls. Whether it does or not in reality is irrelevant. They believe it will. And they will go on little tirades about how grouping will suffer (ironically they weren't grouping with such people to begin with).

3. Perceived slights. They want new content to play and think that a progression server takes resources away. They don't realize that new content takes coders, artists, and writers to make. Old content is already done. The only resource progression servers take is networking and maintenance. Last I heard, the old servers were running fine, and do not need day to day maintenance. Those network guys can be moved elsewhere.. to you know.. generate additional profit. But these people think if you put money into a MMO vending machine, you get something good the more you put in.

All the reasons are based off of irrationality. And lets be honest. If most were rational, this topic wouldn't even exist. Fortunately, the ones who run the numbers with Daybreak know this. And ignore such banter. As the saying goes, "Money Talks, and BS Walks," couldn't be more true.
    nirriri, andross77 and Senadin like this.
  8. hein Augur

Lol, what's funny about all your amazingly helpful responses, is that the very post that I see every day, that I'm referring to, are always found within this thread. Case and point, there is one right now, that was posted before this one, and yet none of you have went to that thread to complain about it being in the wrong place. Very interesting...
    andross77 likes this.
  9. hein Augur

Thanks for your thoughts. Couldn't agree more..
  10. Reval Augur

They probably don't want to lose people in their guild and on their server in a game where people are a precious commodity. If they lose good players and guildmates that they need to beat content, or just like to play with, then that will suck for them. That's the cycle that probably has a few people up in arms. EQ is cannibalizing itself.
    andross77 likes this.
  11. Reynen Journeyman

Well, that's a good thing if it draw players from the other progression servers, more people on Agnarr: perfect.
  12. Reval Augur

What if you play on those other progression servers and don't want to Agnarr? There's another side to every coin. It's great that daybreak is trying to cater to the players' wants, but if they could get in some new players, that would really be ideal in basically every way.
  13. Rauven Augur

Why would you want to play with players who don't wish to play with you?

Think about it. Those on older progression servers that want to go to the new one, do not wish to remain with those who want to stay. Why keep two types of players together that don't want to be together?

No one is actually threatened by this server. There's no two sides of the coin. If you have 20 players in your guild and 10 are leaving. You really only have 10 and then another 10 who don't really want to be there. That's not a 20 man guild. Its a 10 man one with a whole lotta fluff.
  14. Reht The Dude abides...

Then don't agnarr, pretty simple.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

When all the reasons listed are negative I tend to be suspicious. I find it strange you can't find one rational reason some people may not be fond of Agnarr :)/

And I am sorry but if you think threads are based soley on rationality or irrationality then you are sorely mistaken :) I mention both because I am not sure which one you were saying. You seem to imply the fears are all irrational but you say the thread would not exist if most were rational which seems to imply the thread is irrational. *shrugs*
  16. Rauven Augur

There is no single rational or logical reason to care what server another player wants to play on.

If you have 'friends' or guildies leaving (the common excuse used) then the fact is they simply wish to play on the server more than they wish to play with you (if you intend to stay). Knowing that fact I cannot see any reason why anyone would want them to stay.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

There are very rational reasons to care what opening a new server does to the populations of existing servers. To say otherwise is ridiculous. Am I saying that should decide whether a server opens up or not? No. But it is a rational concern.

Rarely is any position completely one sided when it comes to things like this. If you can't see both sides of things it simply indicates tunnel vision. There are valid points on both sides and yes there are irrational people on both sides of the discussion.
  18. hein Augur

I suppose I do see a reason to be concerned that Phinny may take a large population hit.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Tbh, not all servers are running "fine". AB has severe performance issues, and could sure use those "network guys"(if they even exists?).

Im pretty much indifferent to agnarr though, Im not here because of nostalgia, I just like modern EQ alot! :)
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Constantly opening new servers may work well for Daybreak but will have an effect on any existing servers. And I would agree Phnny is probably going to take the worst hit. Of course due to its population side it is also the server best suited to take the hit. That does not negate the concerns of people on Phinny though.

I never fault Daybreak for wanting to make a profit that is their job it's a business. But I understand the concern of those on existing servers. Now if we had some server mergers populations on other servers would better be able to stand the downturn in populations when new servers start up.