Why not just show the XP gained per mob.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Candystore, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Numzan Augur

You can pretty much see that on your exp bar now... it mainly shows 1% and most likely is rounded down with the 25% increase they gave if it was close to 1% on one of the new tlp servers. Even with xp pot it took awhile. The 50% showed the real boost. Out leveling (2 lvls) very quickly the 25% normal player vrs a xp pot in the 4 hr time frame it took.

So like i said its easier to hide the values then it is to show them. Too many would complain to the facts i just did. But i am one not to judge the reasons behind it.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

New experience message:

You gain experience (with a bonus, possibly)! Or did you?
    Kattria Minx and Brumans like this.
  3. Risiko Augur

Why would they not do this to all servers?
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The way I read your post was suggesting that the xp change should have been done a server at a time rather then ever server at the same time.
  5. Hateseeker Augur

I'm not saying you're wrong but I think it's always better if the gaming company expands on these details themselves. They won't usually, of course, which leaves people defending or explaining on their behalf in absentia (I mean, they're not literally absent, but declining to be specific is functionally the same as being absent).

But that being said, I disagree with it. And so I would ask, what do most MMORPG games do with exp? Do they provide information at this level of specificity?

Disagree completely. I can buy the argument about mystery, even though I don't believe mystery of this kind is valuable, however, it's not a casualization/dumbing down thing. It'd be more like a tool to help a player spend their playtime more efficiently.

The reality is, this isn't a new game, we've all seen these zones before, and we're not exploring. Forcing players to experiment like a shell game to see where the good experience is, is a pretty clunky way of adding mystery. Reality is, players who've done it all before want to do it again in the most efficient way they can. It really makes playing the game feel forced when you have to deal with fake mystery from a game that's no longer mysterious.
  6. anonymoose New Member

you could easily fix it, by just showing the percentage of the level you received

kill mob x, you received .12% of level 38
    kill mob x, you received .25% of level 104

i realize legacy code as old as this is hard to maintain, but i'd be willing to say that some UI changes would do wonders for the game.
  7. Risiko Augur

Ok. I see what you mean. Yes. I did say that, but I didn't mean it as in one server this month, one the next, etc.

What I meant was to only have one server down at a time while doing the data migration because it would be a long process, but I meant that it would roll from one server to the next as the process is completed and verified. It might take a week to do all servers, but at least it would only be one server down at a time.
  8. Zanarnar Augur

It is annoying, I'll agree, not to know what your getting.. is a dark blue con murkglider in WoS worth the same xp/kill as a dark blue (whatever)? Its a min-maxer desire and I'd love to know since I mostly burn my lesson murdering murkgliders and I'm /SURE/ there are better things to use it on; but I just don't know any better, and really don't care to parse a billion kills to figure it out. So I just do what I want to to hell with the min-maxing.

I feel like ShowEQ use to be able to show the xp gained on a kill, and they nerfed that to be largely server-side so the raw numbers never even make it to the client anymore...
  9. Atabishii Elder

Umm yes, most do lol. I haven't played many mmorpg's that don't show exact exp breakdowns after every kill, regardless how insane the number.

In fact, I'm playing an mmorpg right now that is 17 years old, and was bigger than EQ...and this is how exp was shown on the mob I just killed, and I'm only in my 20's.

You get 13,219,309 experience points. (2,642,251 camp bonus)(1,033,890 group bonus)(608,498 frontier bonus)(1,093,298 overcap exp)

There are actually several more categories but I'm not near anything that gives other types of bonuses right now. It's been this way for 17 years, and is insanely easy to read.
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

People would still go to unres guk the hole.... lets face it.