Why not allow Currency - Downgrading (only)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Coruth, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Coruth Augur

Just as a way to pool unused currencies and buy things like Insidious Augments.

It would be so easy on every currency vendor put "Bag of Previous Currency" on it.
    Cost 10 and the bag could give say 8 (making it a downgrade)

Ex: Bag of 8 Crystallized Fear sells on Tier3 Raid Merchant for 10 Shadowstones

Could even do it across expansions if you wanted.
  2. Elricvonclief Augur

Heh, I would love to see something like this. How many folks have currency from UF or SoD that they will never use?

A method that would at least allow buying purity augs is what I"m thinking.
    Kelefane likes this.
  3. artofnoise Augur

I would just be happy if the Radiant/Ebon Crystals found their way to the Alt.Currency tab where they belong (ie. NOT on the main Inventory tab).
    EQbud likes this.
  4. Kelefane Augur

Yeah, it would be hella nice to be able to do something with all of this currency rotting away on every single account out there. I have over 20k LDoN adventure points by the way, that have been rotting away on my account for years. I also have tons of old Underfoot currency rotting too. Not to mention, VoA currency as well.

And some other currency too that is just rotting away doing nothing that i'll never touch.

Would be nice to be able to trade some of this in for purity augs.....neat current type 3s and whatnot.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  5. Axxius Augur

Given the growing number of new currencies, and each vendor having its own set of prices, setting proper exchange rates would turn this feature into a hellish chore for the devs fast.

Example: VoA T3 has 3 raids, each awarding 10 currency. The price for the invisible gear on the VoA T3 vendor is 48. VoA T4 has 8 raids, each awarding 10 currency. The price for the invisibles on the T4 vendor is 200. What exchange rate should be set here? Exchanging T4 currency for T3 at 1:1 ratio would allow buying 4 T3 items for the price of 1 T4 item. No way. So then the exchange ratio should be less than 1:1. For this case. And the devs would need to go over every single case of this.

Also keep in mind that some prices are flawed, such as spells that don't follow the same price patterns as gear. And there are also ornaments. Some of these prices would need to be adjusted to avoid exploiting. IMO that would be a lot of extra work, an ever increasing amount of work too.
  6. Axxius Augur

Note that the OP proposed only DOWNgrading. What you want is using old currency to buy new stuff. Not going to happen. You don't get to use your old gear to buy anything new. You destroy it, tribute it, or keep it banked for nostalgic reasons, but you don't expect to buy new gear with it. Currency is raid loot, same as gear. It's an added convenience to let you buy items instead of waiting for them to drop. It's not intended to be used for anything else. Once you no longer raid this tier of content - you no longer care about any loot from it, including currency.

Other old currencies such as LDoN points should never be allowed to buy anything in new content either. It would be exploited. Old currency is way too easy to farm.
  7. Saroc_Luclin Augur

Sounds like a decent idea. If you have so much of one currency you're willing to spend it to get an older currency, then all the better for you.

I'd probably keep it within expansion, for sanity sake, and only offer down to the previous tier. (So 10 Top Tier for 9 Previous tier; but 10 previous Tier for the tier before that).

For using up old currencies, you can use most of it for Housing rents (or rather lot rental). That's where most of my Chronobines are going to. Granted I still have thousands left and my rent's paid up fro a year or so, so it's not much of a currency sink unless you buy a lot of lots.
  8. Grokl-VS Journeyman

Should remove all the old currencies and make the vendors take PP instead.

Only keep the latest two currencies. Give players a fair warning, so they can spend their currencies before vendors turn to PP. Let the old missions reward PP instead.
  9. Fenudir Augur

Personally, I'd like to see old raid currency made available for property upkeep. They can do this for any currency that is two or more expansions old (At this time, anything HoT or older). It doesn't break any game mechanic and gives us a way to get rid of the stuff.

That said, I wouldn't mind current currency (and all currency) being made heirloom. The other toon(s) would still have to do the events to unlock the gear and we are, after all, still talking about the same player.