Why is Experience so bad?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Scald, Dec 29, 2021.

1. Zanarnar Augur

I didn't even know that .. wow.

So playing a tablet style idle game nets you better xp on live then playing the game (Grinding). YUP, guess I'm never leaving the TLP land :(
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The grind XP is normal/decent for AA. It is about the same or slightly slower. Arguably, the new system gives casual, new, and returning players a leg up on leveling (without having to top up on DPS and tank ability). This is also a great system if you want to level up alts.

Negative Nancys probably complained about pre-ToV level grind so devs shifted and incentivized level XP to Overseer and Achievements. Ironically, the Negative Nancys want grinding for levels back. (My compromise is that they should triple or quadruple Lesson bonus).

To put level grinding in perspective, from 1999 to 2010s, each level could require 5-8 hours of total play time.

Based on public opinion after ToV, complaints over grind XP for levels subside once most players max out at least their box crew in a month or two.
    Shindius likes this.
  3. Tappin Augur

The only incentive new and returning have is to log off when can’t find a group for ToV missions and the exp from killing bl ws.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If new and returning players are one-rounded constantly during level grind but desperate to play, they will go to Tappin to buy accounts ($$$ per account).
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I remember WoW had a system called "rested xp", where you earned an xp-bonus while being logged off. I liked that system much better than the "fellowship bonus" where you need friends to earn it for you. Especially as the fellowship bonus actually gives an xp penalty to the active people in the fellowship.
    "Rested xp", was imo more flexible than the lesson-veteran-AA.

I think they should rethink the xp-vitality concept.
  6. Gorg00 Augur

Overseer is not better than grinding. You can get like 10% every 12 hours from Overseer, maybe 15% if you're lucky.
    Shindius, Svann2 and Nennius like this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

If, like me, you play for fun, is Overseer fun? For me it is a tool. A partially broken tool, but still a tool. I chat with friends. Finish quests, etc. Have fun.
  8. Gorg00 Augur

I barely use Overseer, and when I do use it, it's for collection items. I'm just pointing out that the premise of that statement is wrong. Overseer might *feel* like it does more, because all the XP gain is concentrated to when you complete the task, but it's limited such that over the 12 hour cycle it's not actually that much xp.
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Overseer is a great crumb/carrot for the newbs. You taste progress without being totally discouraged by "hardcore" grind and quitting the game.
    Shindius likes this.
  10. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

XP is terrible thats why i use overseer for real xp and when im killing stuff i have it on aa 100%. The only reason i even want to be maxed level is for the luck.
    Shindius likes this.
  11. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Well you dont use overseer much you would understand you can get alot more out of it besides xp and collections!
  12. Gorg00 Augur

I mean you'll either get xp,collections, currency, crafting mats, or ornamentations. It's not like there's some secret overseer reward.
  13. dwish Augur

Overseer was created and put into the game for one reason, and that's to be another avenue for people to buy/spend station cash. That is also why kill exp was drastically reduced in the expansion that accompanied overseer, to incentivize people to use overseer and buy station cash in order to complete max daily tasks/quests for exp. I'm sure a lot of people did this as well and continue to do it in ToL so in a way it was successful, but that doesn't mean it was a good decision for long term game health.

Most if not all the decisions that go into the game these days is about squeezing as much possible out of the remaining player base. See the recent "perks" as an example. It may sound overly negative, but it is what it is. The health of the game is rarely taken into consideration with recent changes and it's most likely not going to change.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Eldur like this.
  14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

How much "station cash" do you spend on Overseer each year?

You are maxed at 10 daily Overseer quests. "Station Cash" for auto-completion would be if you're extremely lazy or inconvenienced not to log in twice a day for 10 minutes.

In my estimate, there's like 3 people in all of EQ who spend "station cash" on Overseer. 2 of them are 'card collector' completionists.
  15. Tappin Augur

Just the cash cows…
  16. dwish Augur

I don't spend any station cash on Overseer, but I am able to play the game way more then I would like to admit and don't have any issues getting groups for tasks/missions.

However, I guarantee you that a LOT of more casual players that don't have have access to ready made groups as soon as they log in are trying to do as many overseer per day as they can. An extra 5 tasks completed per day is HUGE when mobs are literally giving .02% per kill non lesson and have inflated hps to boot. Grinding in a small 2-3 player groups is essentially pointless, which is a big part of what everquest used to be. Most people on this board are so out of touch with the reality of anyone that doesn't run around with a full box group or play 24/7 in a raid guild.
    Shindius, Eldur, Skrab and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You don't get 5 extra tasks, even if you spend station cash, you just don't have to log in twice a day to max your quest throughput.
    The only case where spending cash makes an actual difference, is by finishing off 24hr research quests after 12 hours. That will yield around 1.8% additional xp per round. I don't think a lot of people think that is worth it.

However, before they introduced the 10 quest-cap, you could get around 1/3 level per round(on an xp-bonus day). After the cap was introduced, there is not really any benefit to using cash.

Overseer isn't the big pay2win feature you think it is.
    Shindius and Benito like this.
  18. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Imagine you’re not an EQ addict checking on Overseer multiple times a day, then you have to spend real money to complete a full set of 10.

I agree with you it’s not a big monetization model, and will likely be abandoned in a couple years.
  19. Namde Augur

Its not. I have 120 maxxed already.
    Benito likes this.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Why and how?