Why did you add Overseer if all you've done is make it useless?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tanise, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Ryino Elder

The BBB is basically yelp. Complaints against companies that you expect a resolution for should probably either go to your states attorney generals office, or the Bureau of consumer protection.
    Tanise and Raccoo like this.
  2. Deathly Elder

Super bad idea, was the last thing I had to use overseer for. Least I don't have to waste time on 5 accounts doing it anymore. It is just no longer of any benefit.
    dreadlord, jayrendar and Mazame like this.
  3. Angahran Augur

Basically this is just one more thing to take the 'MM' out of MMORPG.
    Previously, people could sell these collection items they didn't need and help out other players.
    Now they can't so it's another case of "I'm ok, screw everyone else", which pretty much sums up society these days :(
  4. Lorewood Lorekeeper

It seems to me these changes have been made to pander to the professional traders. Why else remove the currant expansion from rewards ?
    Also making collectable rewards no-trade/attuneable makes no logical sense in the big picture and adds a level of complexity for an in game junk item ( collects in general ) I think I have 2-3 accounts at present with all large bags or collector boxes full in the shared bank with regular collections. Now you add collection items that are the same but different ? How the hell does that simplify anything or make even messing with overseer a plus ? Do what you want with dispensers etc ..but the final collection item should be the exact same one that is farmed or dropped and screw the traders or whatever mechanic you are trying to address here.
    dreadlord, jayrendar, Jein-ko and 2 others like this.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Are you kidding me?

What is the purpose here?

Who is this helping or protecting?

People that monopolize certain collectables and sell them for exorbitant amounts in the bazaar then turning that plat into krono then selling the krono for $7-8?

If this system had been created originally so that it only worked on that character, sure, not optimal (especially with this 25% chance nerf nonsense or the garbage fragment nonsense), but understandable if that was the goal.

Modifying every single collectible in game, changing things around like this, a lot of WORK (that you devs consistently claim you lack the time to do), for nothing?

What this change does:

1) Annoy paying customers (non-paying didn't even get to claim the items)

2) De-incentivize spending money on accelerating finishing quests (costing DBG money)

3) Further reduce people's interest in actually using the system (essentially costing DBG money indirectly by reducing the value of the investment into the system)

4) Messes with random people that had saved these things up on alts (not sure why you would have done that, but whatever), annoying paying customers

5) Slows down people finishing collectables (and this helps DBG...how?)

6) Keeps prices higher on rare collectables in the bazaar (and this helps DBG...how?), which only helps RMT bazaar bots (f them) and players making plat off them (sorry, not sorry, not interested in ripping people off to buy krono)

What is the benefit of this change? What is the target? What possible justification did the developers provide to their supervisors to justify the time wasted on this decision?

I just don't get it.

I may use overseer (not as religiously) on a couple alt accounts, but never at all on my most used ones, and I sure as heck won't spend a dime on it (I spent maybe 10 bucks so far, just cause its easier to spend 20 db cash or whatever instead of waiting an hour when its timed inconvenient, which I didn't bregudge them, but no reason to even care to do so now).

I just don't see the benefit to the game, to the players (most of them), or to DBG.
  6. Lorewood Lorekeeper

lets not forget the extra downtime these changes seem to be taking, really 13 hour downtime with another 4 on top of that ? I basically lost a day and a half of my play time with today's update. I hope this doesn't become the new normal.
    Chlorogoth likes this.
  7. Tanise Elder

This is what pisses me off. I did drop cash on daybreak junkbonds to purchase agents. Then they trashed it. But at least it can benefit my boxes. Now they've nerfed it again, and now calling it garbage is an insult to the word garbage. And you have no recourse because if you request a refund, they will ban your account.
  8. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Making the Overseer collects No Trade doesn't surprise me too much, they said before they were concerned about how fast they were entering the game. Not giving people any heads up on this though is very disappointing. As many have already said, they were consolidated on one toon/account to distribute at a later time. Now they're stuck with them all in one spot where they might not be needed. I'm okay with them becoming No Trade but at the very least they should of gave everyone a heads up on this in preparation for the change.
    Yinla and jayrendar like this.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

There are only two real possible reasons this change when in:

1. The professional bot traders/RMT farmers raised a stink about it. You know those guys...the traders that magically have dozens, if not hundreds, of that ONE rare collectible out of any given collection that they sell for a million plat or more. Overseer suddenly made all of their collectible business completely pointless, since people no longer had to waste their time trying to get that rare collectible to spawn/drop, nor did they have to pay those outrageous prices for that one last shiny.

and/or

2. Since FTP accounts couldn't get the collectible rewards, people were using paid accounts (that most likely already had collections finished) to get the rewards and then just handing them off to their FTP boxes, thereby bypassing the restriction without blinking an eye. Since the change in the xp rewards on collection to 2% of your level (any level), doing collectibles on FTP suddenly became a useful tool.

There is no other reason that would justify dev time being spent (wasted) on recoding every f'ing collectible in game, and then coding the mechanic into Overseer to automatically make the collectibles already attuned when you get the reward.
  10. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

I can do this tonight once I loyalty a bunch of unattuners and testcopy them, but them being locked to my one account on test now (they worked fine on test last night, and I guess I should have just finished transferring them when I could?) means I have to find ones I've started on alts but not finished.

They SHOULD function the same given that they revert to the normal item once unattuned (at least if the live patch notes are right, theyre all attunable now)
  11. Mesc Old Soul

Am I glad I decided to wait 4-6 weeks to try this. I KNEW they were going to do something like this.
    It is beyond stupid and they just lost a lot of money. Not only from the people playing it, but any new person that was going to try it. I hope you didn't plan on making money off this. Oh, So know we know were all your time went. You know, the time you didn't have to create new zones for the expansion.
    You should be ashamed of yourselves.
    Jein-ko and cadres like this.
  12. dreamweaver Community Manager

Neither of those down time lengths are related to overseer. The first one which was shorter than the stated time was for Server merge prep and the regular patch, the second there was a fairly major issue discovered that needed to be fixed.
    mikey anchorage and Metanis like this.
  13. Spartee New Member

Wonderful, thanks for making the stuff no drop on collections. I was going to give my box shaman those so I could finally finish the achievement for the chase shoulders. I'm sure a certain merchant on my server is happy now. I will not be spending anymore money on this game outside of expansions. Good grief this is a terrible company and the amount of people defending it is bewildering. Yes, I'm a life sub on several accounts and I don't care if you pull the plug tomorrow. This isn't the first time this has happened and I'm surprised the other company got away with the fan faire item debacle in 2015. If this company actually listened to the players and thoroughly tested this stuff we wouldn't have these issues over and over and the money would flow in.
    dreadlord likes this.
  14. Soulblaze Journeyman

I love Overseer. Leveled from 112 to 115 with it, and instead spent 100% of the bonus exp time getting several thousand AA! Solo wizard on Cazic. Not even a merc. I pop a cleric to heal the Restless Ice damage after I Abscond :)
  15. jayrendar New Member

I have never been so disappointed with a game change as I was this afternoon.

Over the last few weeks I spent $180 on Daybreak Cash in order to speed up my overseer agents and amass collection dispensers in order to bypass the people monopolizing the collectible market on my server. My main character completed collections months ago, so the 44 Collection Dispensers I have on my main account, and 40 I have on my main-alt (who is also finished with collections) are 100% useless to me now. My intention was to help guild-mates and friends complete their sets. I was more then happy to shell out the $$$ to build up my overseer and get the reward as advertised, and it was all taken away over night without warning. This makes me not want to buy Daybreak cash again. The /overseer option went from being fun and productive, to something I'll most likely abandon in a month or so sadly enough.

Might I suggest giving everyone stuck with these useless collection dispensers some method to trade them in for something semi-useful? Perhaps overseer currency? Otherwise it's just another item that will collect dust in the bank; a very expensive dust collector.
    Mazame likes this.
  16. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

That's actually a pretty good idea, allow the Overseer Merchant to purchase the Collection Item dispensers for the equivalent coin reward you would of got instead.
    Yinla and jayrendar like this.
  17. dreadlord Augur

Agreed with all the points about why this change is A Really Bad Thing
    What disappoints me most is that there's a pretence of listening to players and what's important to them and then doing the opposite.
    I've followed all the threads re overseer and everyone seems to be pleased that it will put the bazaar bullies out of business (the ones using dubious techniques to perma-camp various areas) and people can actually get the collectibles they want. I saw precisely no-one say they wanted these collectables to become no drop. No-one. Yet here we are.
    As the OP said, this is a really really bad case of bringing out something fun, that was widely liked (notwithstanding the assorted bugs - hello randomly disappearing quests - usually the much-coveted recruit ones) which has been nerfed to oblivion very quickly
    I appreciate this was primarily aimed at people catching up, but it also helped those of us who've played faithfully for a couple of decades help alts catch up. There's nothing in it for us now - I don't need xp; or non-rare tradeskill stuff, but was enjoying playing with the collectables
    Why shut a sizeable chunk of your player base out of something in which you have invested not insignificant resources?
    Mazame and jayrendar like this.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You can still do that with overseer, you just have to do it with the character, that you want to receive the collectible. The number of collectibles you can receive per day is unchanged by the patch, if I understand correctly. it is just less random.

It is still useful for getting that rare elusive collectible, that would otherwise take a whole day traversing the same zone.

I honestly don't see the big deal? :confused:
  19. Anastasis Elder

@Jumbur, yes, for the character who needs the collectibles, it is not changed. However, there are players using this to help friends catching up by using the collectibles to get them catch up on AA's. Now those players are stuck with a bunch of collectibles that they themselves do not need. Just like Velisaris_MS suggested, this is not helping players, but does help the people selling those collectibles.
  20. Soulblaze Journeyman

The fragments were a great idea. 4 of them - you got a collectible. You could statistically get 10 50%ers and not get a thing prior.

Easier odds on those.... means no trade. I am down with that. Maybe they'll make a low chance like the previous system for a tradeable collect.

The whole system is pretty rad. Something to do during in game downtime - and something working for you when you're logged off. They took nothing away from our past 20 years, only gave - with some adjustments.

I like that we aren't all held captive on rare collectibles by BotCaptain01 for 2 million plat for that piece. Sure, you could say "dO tEH wORK yOURSELF aND cAMP tEH pIECE". The real grouping world does not work for this. Bots and multi-boxers, sure. Everyone talks about how they miss OG - play OG - 1 freaking character online. I didn't have 4 phone lines at my house in 1999 to log on 4 PCs to Everquest. Now I take advantage of Overseer .... a new thing .....as ....... boxers do collectible farming.
    Thunderkiks and Jumbur like this.