Why are we getting extra bonus experience?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ferry-Tunare, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Ferry-Tunare Augur

Have you guys stopped to wonder why we're getting extra experience? Why do the devs say we are leveling too quickly and then turn around and give us xp bonus? Then follow up the next weekend and give us even more xp bonus?

If dev resources are limited, what is the driving factor to use some of that time to toggle bonus experience on and off? There has to be a business driver here.
  2. Rhaage Augur

1. encourage people to play more, On bonus exp weekends people are more likely to spend more time playing which leads to increased likelihood of social interaction and "new friends" made,easier to find groups, etc which reinforce the attachment to the game, etc. Short of the server-wide GM events of old, Bonus XP (especially double) is about the most widely appreciated special event they do. The anniversary quests and other content are nice, the sales in the marketplace are nice, but they each apply to a smaller population than bonus xp for all.

2. help players get from 85 to 105 (or closer anyway). When they release the next expansion it will most likely be focused on the 105 level area. If a higher percentage of the population is near 105, we're more likely to buy the expansion than characters that are only 85 or 90 that won't be able to participate in the content.

3. The bonus weekend experience adds to the effect of potions of adventure, I would not be surprised if people often buy / use bonus xp potions combined with bonus xp weekends for maximum exp and so this may increase the sales of xp potions / other marketplace items

just my 2cp
    Lisandra likes this.
  3. Biltene Kingslayer

Well, the obvious answer is, of course, the Illuminati. Or it could just be that the anniversary events and Easter weekend matched up for back to back bonus xp gifts, which they have almost always done during every significant holiday for the last few years.

It is not a drain on dev resources to turn on bonus xp.
  4. Reht The Dude abides...

I often wonder why we can't have nice things........ Instead of maybe looking for hidden meaning and questioning everything, maybe we should just simply say 'thank you.'
    Dibab, Lisandra, Spellfire and 3 others like this.
  5. Darkark Augur

I call Morgan's Maxim ...
    noclue likes this.
  6. Ghubuk Augur

I love double exp weekends. I love them even more when they are followed by a double rare spawn weekend..;)
  7. Ferry-Tunare Augur

Actually I wondered if it was to count the number of active accounts. I believe they did something similar prior to the recent change of ownership. I didn't want to imply it, I was just wondering if anyone else was thinking along those lines.
    Silv likes this.
  8. Silv Augur

I thought it was solely a nice holiday gesture that just coincided with the anniversary bonus shortly before and that there wasn't some ulterior motive - and I normally love conspiracies... :p If anything it probably boosted potion sales. People seem to love stacking potions on top of bonus XP.

I'm just glad it's over... now I don't feel obligated to level my alts!
    Ferry-Tunare and noclue like this.
  9. Saroc_Luclin Augur

They usually do some bonus on long weekends. Granted a Double XP weekend so soon after a 160% XP two-week might be a bit much; maybe a Double Spawn rate or half cooldown timer weekend might have been better.

I'm just disappointed I couldn't take much advantage of it because I was out of town for a wedding. :( (And by coincidence heard "White Wedding" three times on the radio while we went to a wedding surrounded in car-high snowbanks. :) )
  10. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Other games, like FF14 have holiday events as well (some eggshell hat thing); and it's a good chance for them to draw customers to try them out.

Bonus XP in EQ ensure people will choose to login EQ that weekend, instead of trying, and potentially getting hooked on another game.
    Ferry-Tunare likes this.