Why are casters supposedly bad from OOW until TSS?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kalipto, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Karanthal Augur

Casters have to work hard in this era for meaningful results and even so, good casters are likely to parse amongst average melee DPS/good warriors.

I swapped my mage/wizard for monk/zerker in this era, the difference was massive. No longer needing to manage casting macro's and mana, melee boxes delivered better results for much less effort. Largely turn on auto atk and hit a disc/disc combo every now and again.

I'm playing on Mangler, Wizards/Mages have been parsing well again since TBS on boss fights. I did concider swapping back, but its more AA to make up again than I could bear and melee still offer better sustained DPS for XP grinds.
  2. Triconix Augur

The devs went heavy handed with resists for the 70s era and it was mainly in response to the ongoing CasterQuest we had previously. However, the discrepancy between melee and casters wasn't as bad when it was modern as it is now.

The main culprit is out of era AAs/abilities retrograded to melee that created a massive power surge. Take away the passive 30ish percent melee increase AAs from melee and you'll see a lot more caster competing for parses.

I still don't understand why these AAs were granted to melee so early. They shouldn't start until at least TSS to match the necro DOT revamp. It's causing balance issues as well as trivializing all the content I've seen so far because melee dps is so much more than it used to be.
  3. fakenames Journeyman

on riz casters werent so hot in classic or kunark either largely due to plane of sky being having level 60-70 bosses that its easier for an army of melee to scratch for 2-10 dmg inbetween their miss string then for casters to land nukes and kunark having to dodge so much plus monk epics are absurd. as well as classic and kunark motm being really strong. they were pretty good in vel through pop but terrible from god foward. If devs wanted to balance tlps for this era they could probably just target god-por raid mobs and knock their resists in half.
  4. Eldrian Augur

Mob resists
    FranktheBank likes this.
  5. Kalipto Augur

Thanks for all the thorough and thoughtful replies. The issue was definitely a lot more complex than I originally thought - which is why I questioned the validity of the sentiment. It's not really weapons ratios, it's a lot of things:
    • Resists go way up
    • General melee buffs go up
    • Melee burns go way way up
    • 2.0 clicks and other aDPS favor melee
    • Changes from live retroactively increased melee power
    Seems like it's just a generally tough time to be a caster. I had always planned on going Zerker for Mischief, so this doesn't impact me, but it will screw with my guild for sure. Hope we don't lose all our casters!
  6. Corydon Augur

Casters will still be played. They can pull off some amazing stunts in certain scenarios and not everything is about raiding (unless you're a raid-logger).
  7. FranktheBank Augur

Why is this thread going so long? The answer is most of the raids have absurd mob resists, which someone already stated. That includes with tash/malo/harmony, etc. The game is just poorly balanced in those eras.

It doesnt mean people shouldnt play those classes. Almost every class has their day in the sun at some point. Play what you want. Stop making weird/dumb justifications or reasonings.
  8. Corydon Augur

We were all waiting for your permission to move on.