Why Agnarr will outlast other TLPs despite the being PoP-Locked.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Montag, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Montag Augur

I keep seeing comment like "Agnarr will be a ghost town after the expacs stop" etc and I think the people predicting that are projecting their own views a bit too widely.

Why will Agnarr thrive long term? It comes down to the types of players.

First are TLP racers. They go to new TLPs and rush through content. A lot of them living the krono life.

Then there are timekillers. They play on a regular progression or live server and come to Agnarr to kill time when bored or waiting for the next expac.

These are the two groups that you can reasonably expect to vanish after the lock. Though some from the second group will come back off and on.

But Agnarr, being PoP locked, has attracted others...

People who haven't played in 5-10 years who came back because they know the server will reach a point where they no longer will have to grind any form of progression and can just casually play and do all the little things for their alts and just not feel the time pressure. The faster EXP rate is also a huge factor here. Lots of 40 year olds here who aren't as worried about being "elite" as they are about not angering their spouse or losing their job trying to "keep up".

People who thought everything after LDoN was not really the direction they wanted the game to go. That it was too much of a departure from what the game had previously always been.

People that played EQMac on Al'Kabor which was always PoP-locked and miss it.

People from P99 that want more than Velious but still don't want live.

These four groups of players are mostly not going anywhere when the server locks. They knew what the server was about when they started and they chose it because that's what they wanted.

But ya, the bottom line is Agnarr will last because it has attracted "long-haul" players to a greater extent than any other TLP. Just look at all the bored phinny players that were swarming Agnarr at first.

The only thing I see killing Agnarr is a too-similar ruleset server, an Agnarr 2.0 if you will, stealing them away to a better version of the same thing. But I think we have some smart devs who know they've hit on something special here and will instead focus on tweaking Agnarr (and Phinny) a bit rather than undermining it that way. (I'm expecting the next TLP server to either be something very unique, that doesn't aim to steal players from Phinny and Agnarr, or to be much further off than we expect.)
    Jaxarale01 and snailish like this.
  2. Fibgirl Lorekeeper

Phinny player here. After being locked in PoP for 6 thousand years i was ready to slit my wrist. The LDoN raids were ok the 1st time we ran them, but those got tedious as well. GoD wasnt really challenging cause everyone have tons of quarm loot by the time it opened, but the BiC quest kept me busy with some new content. OOW is a total blast! New epics, Anguish aug runs, group mpg trials tons of people running around helping each other with this and that practically every night. Cant wait for DoN and the next and the next and the next. Dont even remember PoP tbh!
  3. kexor New Member

Why not just play in server and get a real support structure around the game.
  4. Montag Augur

And your oblivious condescension is embarrassing, but it's probably more productive to argue the merits than to hurl ad hominems.

And it's not optimism, it's awareness. ADD people assume everyone is ADD because, well, people project, and until now it's been reinforced by the fact that the servers they have played on attract ADD players. Agnarr attracted them as well but we've already seen a lot of them go back to phinny. I think you underestimate the appeal of doing the long haul without the progression pressure to a lot of old timers and "old-eq" enthusiasts.
    Jaxarale01 likes this.
  5. Montag Augur

That's awesome I'm really happy you found what you enjoy there. But don't assume everyone wants to always be having a new level/epic/regear to attain. People who need that will leave. That's true. But what's also true is that Agnarr blew up because it attracted people who wanted the exact opposite of that.
    Jaxarale01 likes this.
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Remindme! 1.5 years
    Ethereal and jeskola like this.
  7. Montag Augur

[IMG]
  8. Punchu Augur

So, more than 50% of the current population?
  9. Twong Journeyman

DoN was the last great expansion.. I choose Agnarr as the next best thing.
    A DoN locked server would make sense due to last expansion with content from level 1.max as far as I know and it is the expansion before mercenaries, which should never haven been put in game.

So I will stay on Agnarr, unless they make a GoD, OoW or preferably DoN locked server.
    Barraind likes this.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Why did you start this thread? Are you afraid the naysayers are right?
  11. Creepin Lorekeeper

There was already a PoP locked server called Al'Kabor. It had at best 200 people playing on it actively. It was a better server than agnarr since it used an original version of the game without all the modern frills. If that server didn't last, this server won't last either. Thinking differently is just delusional.
  12. an_ogre_monk00 Elder

u say many words i hear before. do not think more sense make now.
  13. Renshu Augur

I love when people compare Agnarr to p99 and Alkabor without considering the effects of instanced raiding.
  14. AlaskaJay Lorekeeper

In all fairness that would still leave Agnarr with a better population that most if not all Live servers.
    Jaxarale01 likes this.
  15. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

I don't think Don is the expansion you are thinking of... SoF was the last expansion before mercenaries. TSS was arguably the last expansion with content from level 1 to max level.

In all of my years of reading these forums you are the first person to say DoN is their favorite expansion haha.
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Twong Journeyman

You are right, TSS.
  17. Death Strudel Augur

You've just described everyone I've met on Agnarr.

Definitely yes!

Wut? You think people left because there was too much content and all the fixes and changes in the progression turned them off? It wasn't because of WoW and a million other MMOs came out with those same fixes before SoE added them? You trollin' bro?

If you want fast xp, go live. It's really fast. You can also experience all the content you want without anyone at all in your way. This is what I do when Agnarr bores me, which the last few weeks has been daily. I am the only person in guk camping for an FBSS! Sure it's irrelevant, but I can do it and no one cares enough to stop me.

Back in the day LDoN was seen as heresy and all that is wrong with the entitled masses. I'm trying to grasp how we've retconned that. I remember a guild I was in almost didn't recruit me because I
    confessed to thinking PoP was the best expac, but were desperate for a cleric and overlooked it.

Good, leave yourself an out. Don't paint yourself into a corner. You know there will be something like this, one way or another.

No, this server exists for two reasons:
    1) To help DBG harvest krono from the inevitable cess pool of high end guilds locking down items to sell at crazy prices. DBG makes money from the direct krono sales, the parasite guilds make money from aftermarket sales. They don't really like each other but it's profitable. If I'm wrong, DBG can easily shut this all down, overnight. Just sell those items directly to players at low margin. They don't though, and it's the easy, obvious solution.

2) Because there's another Brad game coming soon, and maybe we need to be reminded of what a cluster* original EQ was. Here is Agnarr: faster xp, instanced zones...but still a cess pit of human induced suffering, incredibly limited content and poorly thought out design for a world meant to be inhabited by thousands of people. If you were thinking of leaving EQ for That Other Game, maybe this good reminder will help convince you to stay with the devil you know.

It stops at PoP because that's the last expansion that can be reasonably attributed to its original creator. After that, they slowly started to fix the game, but nobody was around to see it.
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

The thing about a lot of these players is they don't want new content. They want to relive old eq.
    Montag likes this.
  19. an_ogre_monk00 Elder

Until they do. Then they remember why they quit. Go back to Live, go back to Phinigel. Stay away from classic EQ because it boring and painful by comparison.

It is not 1999, it is 2017. EQ is not only MMO, it one in more than I have fingers to count. It ugly, it hard to play, it has more warts than troll. Few advantages yes, I can be ogre monk and expected to do only ogre monk things. Not also wiggle fingers and heal, not also be warrior like that other game with the pandas. I monk, I chop, I kick, I lay on ground and sleep. That is where EQ better, but can be found in all expansions.

Once I leave Oggok and go be monk, I can return to Oggok as monk, but not as boy I was. World changes. I change. Must accept world as it is.
    Ethereal and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  20. MakingSense New Member

I've never seen this really brought up, but I think it would be kind of cool if Agnarr did a "slow" unlock post PoP. Like 10 months or 1 year. That way two years down the road there would be -something- besides PoTime runs to do and people may come back to play their old characters together.

I am more of the "Doing Agnarr cause it was fresh" crowd and that Phinny seemed too far ahead.