Who would support an all tradeable gear ruleset (aka Firiona Vie)?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hateseeker, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Hateseeker Augur

A lot of people talk about economy, but personally I don't think a true economy exists if all you can sell is shaman potions and weaker group gear.

What purpose does it serve for someone to end up in PoP and have tons of Planar through Luclin no drop gear in their bank? If we wanted that stuff to reminisce, we'd log on our old characters and look in our bags instead of playing a Progression server.

For the most part I just want to get this discussion started and react to objections rather than anticipate them, but I will say that having played FV from 2008-2010, it was a very good experience. Going to the bazaar was actually fun just to see what was for sale even though it was prohibitively expensive!

As for the idea of bad players running around in full current raid gear, just no. I could only afford to buy like 5-6 pieces of raid gear the whole time I was there, and most of that was 2 expansions old by the time I got it.
  2. Coldsore.Fippy Augur

Irrelevant detail for me. I get my gear through raiding, and my boxes get theirs through boxing. I'm not really involved in the economy outside of seeing what barterers are buying. Typically use excess gear drops for tribute as allowed.
    Invictvs likes this.
  3. Invictvs Augur

4. Frenzic Augur

Interesting idea but I fear Kronos would cause huge problems. Bad players buying raid gear with real money is not a huge concern, but things to consider.
  5. Hateseeker Augur

Actually, you just made an argument that would help get positive Daybreak attention - payment in Kronos would make HUGE money for Daybreak.

And while that might happen anyway in the beginning, with CoFs and such, as we get closer to PoP, the good stuff is all no drop and should taper that kind of thing off.
  6. Darth Augur

This would be terrible for a progression server. The RMT on a wild wild west server would make it unplayable.
  7. Darth Augur

EVen more, on Vulak boxers would be in hate and when a BP would drop they couldn't use, they'd say so in general chat. People could zone up and loot it. If that loot can be traded, what's to prevent a boxer from doing RMT on items like this?
  8. Hateseeker Augur

Can you explain exactly how this would make it unplayable?

Not sure if you've ever actually played on an all-tradeable server. RMT happens for loot rights to no-drop gear too, why limit ourselves to a junk gear and shaman potion economy over phobias?
  9. Darth Augur

People rarely if at all camp NO TRADE loot for RMT, as like you said the buyer has to run to the corpse, pay and loot. If you allow the RMT to loot the item and take it to the buyer it opens up a whole can of worms.

RMT on FV is not as bad as it will be on progression, we already know raid targets will be highly camped, and blocked. Therefore adding RMT of NO TRADE gear will further make the game unplayable as people won't even be able to farm that gear.

It's just a bad business model, it's why only one live server uses the rule set. Same with PVP. Same with progression. Specific rule sets can only sustain so long.
  10. Crayon123 Augur

11. Jezzie Augur

It would certainly cut down on shared account info, especially with the policy concerning deleted toons now!
    Probably see a few "I wuz hacked" posts demanding to get their toons back with gear.
    Hateseeker likes this.
  12. Hateseeker Augur

So basically, in every MMORPG ever, we always have to have no drop gear for fear of RMT. We always have to have in-game trading economies between players be limited to junk for fear of RMT.

I don't accept that, it's better that we accept RMT and in fact, the gaming company should just find ways to get their cut. They already do with Kronos.

Funny thing is, if Daybreak directly sold in-game loot through the marketplace, I'm guessing everyone would say that's great and would praise them for finding a way to make a profit.
  13. Jezzie Augur

If the loot was sold in the marketplace then there would be uproar with people screaming pay to win. RMT is pay to win and I bet that crowd would be rather upset at the competition that buying loot in the /marketplace would create.
    At this stage in the game I'd rather see the company get the money. Maybe they should test the market with a few items, Cloak of Flames for example! I'd like to see how that goes.
  14. Hateseeker Augur

That would remove any benefit to actually playing the game, though. Better to let players sell it and Daybreak take a cut (i.e. Kronos or other systems).
  15. Jezzie Augur

You mean Daybreak create an in game RMT option? If so then the tax situation would be a nightmare!
  16. Hateseeker Augur

Nope - they already have it with Landmark's Player Studio. Note: I am not saying Landmark Player Studio is for items, it is for voxel designs. However, it proves that they are completely capable of addressing the tax implications.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  17. Jezzie Augur

Player studio is on a much smaller scale though. If I remember correctly those who participate had to provide tax information to SOE soon after the program started.
    If there was an in-game RMT site I'd imagine everybody would want a piece of that and I doubt Daybreak has the capability of handling that amount of information.
  18. Hateseeker Augur

Landmark is still in beta, it's going to get bigger when it releases. If Daybreak is getting a cut, I imagine they could handle it. Trades in Krono or in-game platinum wouldn't require it; and it's likely there'd be less RMTers than you think.
  19. Jezzie Augur

Having never played Landmark it's wrong for me to have an opinion on how player studio works in that game, I don't know if every player designs items to sell for cash or if it's just a few designers selling to other players so they can build stuff.
    I can only go off how player studio works in everquest, which is just a few players.
    It's my opinion that putting real cash value on in-game drops brings out the worst in people and if RMTs contribute to players violating EULA in order to increase profit then all RMTs should be done away with.
    I realize that shutting down RMT sites won't ever happen, just wishful thinking.
    I still consider cutting out the middle man and Daybreak selling direct to be the better option.
  20. Hateseeker Augur

Except RMTs can't be done away with (as you acknowledge), and the benefits to be gained from having actual valuable items to sell between players adds depth to the game. In FV I would log on, check bazaar for a weapon/armor/quest item I need, then go adventure for hours, come back and check again before logging. Could be months before I see what I need, but the depth added to the gameplay experience is unmistakable.

At any rate, I'm not citing Landmark PS for how it works in its own game, but simply that they've got the tax thing down - see https://player-studio.soe.com/w9 ; it appears they've got signup for tax registration fairly simplified.

Daybreak selling xp pots is one thing but if they're going to sell gear direct, we're a step closer to a single player game/
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.