Who is this tuned for?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CaptAmazing, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Cisco Elder

Personally ive never had any issues with grelleth or ew events.. CH was the only mission that I encountered that took any amount of time or multiple times to figure out. Typical group make up was always myself tanking (sk), necro, bard, shaman, cleric, and sometimes a rogue. Some of the events definitely arent boxer friendly, but other than that.. beat most eventsnon the first try. Think a lot of people either over complicate Missions or just dont get the mechanic. Id say 90 % of RoF progression I did with just myself and a necro along with our healer mercs. If you have a solid tank and a good healer, really shouldnt have any issues. Using a pet worked as a 2nd tank for grelleth with an SK mt. Ive said this before in other threads, and ill say it again.. when I group, its always with the same people. Why is that? Other than enjoying playing together, we all know how to optimize ourselves to our fullest potential and get our objective done. Simple as that.. one could say that the group make up is all raiders and have a gear advantage over groupers.. reality is, only myself and the trusty necro are.. if we can beat events, so can you.
  2. Noobieguy Augur

If you did 90% of it with just SK, necro, and mercs, than you likely have raid gear. Which means you can't see the other view very easily. HUGE difference in raid tank vs. group tank. My alt tank got 3x stronger/tougher with some raid gear than with all group gear. I do think the missions are doable once you figure them out though, just a few are much harder than others, and would be quite difficult in group gear.
  3. Cisco Elder

I am raid geared.. was T4 VoA geared when I did all my prog. Did a lot of missions with other raid geared people, and even they were over complicating them.. EW2 and Grelleth are all about positioning.. CH2 moreso its about patience since you cant just burn through it. Once you get the positioning down on EW2, that event is super easy. People talk about getting over run by adds, but that is completely avoidable.
  4. Agrippa Augur

EW2 dragon is also trivialized if you have a tank with a raid shield, neck, ranged, epic(?), etc...
  5. Apricots Lorekeeper

6. Dreamrider Elder

Again, most people in groups don't have raid shields, etc. The tuning should not be centered around raiders, their advantage is overwhelming.
  7. Wuttever Augur

Since the schism between raid gear and group gear is substantial, in order to create challenging content for group players perhaps a mechanism should be implemented which would exclude any character with raid gear on from entering group encounter instances. This would be similar to the exclusion of characters over level 52 for the first dragon encounters after they raised the level limit to 60.

I have no issue with people in raid gear trivializing group content, as has been the case since forever. But with instancing, and a supposed desire to create challenging encounters for group players, it seems to me limiting those encounters to group geared characters would be appropriate.

This is not a "raider versus grouper" suggestion. I think it's reasonable if challenging group instances are to become a real part of the game.
  8. Noobieguy Augur

Not a bad idea, but they would have to "tune" it for a lot of different raiders as well.... Some raiders are in T2/T3 VoA gear, some are in full T2 RoF gear, decent amount of difference between the two. Be cool if they could do it, but doubt it will happen.
  9. Kuniva Lorekeeper

This would probably anger all of the raiders because then they couldn't just faceroll the group content to gear their many alts and get them XP.

I don't think there will ever be a way to make both raiders and non-raiders happy.
  10. Wuttever Augur

When the Vox and Naggy raiding was limited to level 52 there was some discontent, but since then those two raids have become, I think, even more legendary than if people had been allowed to steamroll them with their new levels. My opinion, yes, but it sure seems to me that limit worked out to create an amazing pair of encounters.

Of course I don't think restricting encounters for group only gear to make such encounters somewhat tough for everyone would create something nearly as memorable as those two raids, but it might go in that direction. We might wistfully remember these events more so than others, years later as we sit in our pools in the guild halls. It might create an entire new set of gear we need to think about and collect, our special group gear, being the best it can be for those encounters.

Some people might think this would add too much "work" to be done, but isn't this game all about finding things to do to achieve some goal, and having a few laughs along the way?

The Vox and Naggy raids are so classic, and I think part of the reason is because of that special challenge the level limit created. Many times I was asked to sac people down so they could try out those raids. Once so a guy could try to solo them, and he spent years collecting just the right gear so it would help him achieve that goal.

Anyways, fond memories.
  11. Dre. Altoholic

The solution is a tier which exists between raid and group gear. Groupable by raiders, small-force raidable by groupers.
  12. Noobieguy Augur

I love that idea, but then people with group gear would complain because it takes multiple groups to kill something that a raid group could do with 1.. Trying to find a happy medium that makes everyone happy is impossible.
  13. Dre. Altoholic

I don't raid and I wouldn't complain. Just make the gear type 8 and make sure it's not required for any group achievements.
  14. Chandrok Augur

Defeat Zeixshi-Kar, Evantil: Heart of the Oak, A Matter of Life and Death, and The Queen's Decree all received some tuning changes to hopefully bring them in line with other RoF missions. These changes will go live with the next major patch.
    Shang, Voragath, Kelefane and 3 others like this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Thank you!

Good to see these finally being retuned. Raids are no longer tuned for the highest raid guild, these group missions shouldn't be tuned for the highest group gear/AA either and nor should named.
  16. Wulerdar Gnome Slayer

any chance of fixing The Avatar of War and Fear Tainted Tentacle to be killable by non pet classes ?