Who is Coirnav designed for? DBG?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by took2summit11, Mar 15, 2019.

1. took2summit11 Augur

I have been playing on Coirnav for about a month now. I am really enjoying it and it is right in the era I wanted to pick up in and very much looking forward to LDon, GOD and beyond since I quit after beating POP originally. Coirnav has an absolutely perfect rule set in my opinion except for the very important ultra slow experience. Being in my mid 50s now, the experience has virtually grinded to a stop.

This brings me to my question, why did Coirnav get designed with such awful experience? I was not around during the launch of Coirnav, but was the player base actually asking for a slow experience server? Does anyone at all (outside of the people running AE PL krono farms) like such slow experience?

Usually these server rule sets are catered to the player base. Make the player base happy, and they will pay for subscriptions. Was there a mass group of people asking for slow experience when Coirnav launched? Does Coirnav only exist to try and entice people to buy experience pots/Kronos to pay for AE leveling?

I’d have to imagine that 95% of the playerbase does not like such slow experience, just trying to understand the originally reasoning behind it.

I unfortunately have no other options as Selos 1 month unlocks don’t give me the chance to enjoy the content LDon through Underfoot and Mangler is still 1.5 years away from dropping LDon.

I’m not even sure the point of this post, I guess my outside hope/dream is that xp would be tweaked a bit like they did to Mangler?

#rantover.
  2. snailish Augur

Waiting for an existing progression server to be changed is probably a waste of your time. Reroll wherever your preferences are best met.

Selos is higher XP as far as progression starting XP rates go.

We haven't seen the boldness of actually offering a progression server with better than test server (aim high) XP start. I think we should.

Some equate slow XP to challenge/difficulty.

I feel the vast majority of us don't. Rather, slow XP is a tedium barrier you overcome with playtime, XP pots, powerleveling or you just quit.

Ironically, they offer the faster-than-test-xp progression server... it will still sell XP potions.

Now, tuning the content to be challenging 40+ and in-era for raiding --that's where challenge/difficulty should come in.
    Ulain, Crayon123 and Appren like this.
  3. getlostgreg Lorekeeper

Agreed.

I saw this poll recently.

886 votes. 92% wanted TLP to have experience rates equivalent to Live.

https://twitter.com/eqnewsandpolls/status/1095747284455882753
    Zoshiro likes this.
  4. took2summit11 Augur

I know the chances of changing Coirnav xp is next to zero, but I can always dream, right? The point of the post was really just a rant. Unfortunately for me Coirnav is the only server of all available that appeal to me as far as where it’s at in the timeline, so my alternative to Coirnav is to just quit playing EQ. I will not go play Mangler for another 1.5 years in an era I could care less about and I am not going to play Selos that will rush through expansions so fast I won’t be able to get to experience them the way I want.

I guess the point of this post was to see if there’s any normal (non AE PL’er) person on Coirnav that actually enjoys the slow experience.
    snailish likes this.
  5. Dahaman Augur

Coirnav will have a worse XP rate than Mangler to start. That is true and that will be harsh.

On July 31st, due to the Gates expansion XP bump, Coirnav will have a similar XP rate with Mangler. With vet rewards XP button, it will be faster for 30 minutes per day. When Coirnav hits the DODH and TSS expansions, Coirnav should have a faster rate than Mangler until Mangler hits TSS. At that point they should be the same.

You and I and all Coirnav folks have 4.5 months before the XP issue fixes itself.
    snailish and took2summit11 like this.
  6. took2summit11 Augur

This is the best news I’ve heard all day! Had no idea there was a confirmed XP bump happening with GOD drop, is this confirmed?
  7. Machentoo Augur

Yes. It happens on every TLP.
  8. took2summit11 Augur

Does anyone know the rough bump or are these numbers not really revealed?

These are all made up numbers but maybe someone knows the answer:

Let’s say a full group of level 50 kill a mob in Solb on Coirnav and the mob gives 10,000 experience to each player.

> Does anyone know what this number will be on Mangler?
    > Does anyone know what this number will be on Coirnav after GoD drop?
  9. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

The Xp bump is right around more then now, less then Live
  10. Neldarion Lorekeeper

10,000 xp on coirnav = 34,000 xp on Mangler

10,000 xp on Coirnav now, after GoD = 16,666 xp
  11. took2summit11 Augur

Wow..That’s atrocious still. Devs, please fix this, no one wants this :(
  12. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

The people that missed the boat on Phinny
  13. Protagonist Tank

It's not broken, this is the rate that the server was announced to have from the start. It'll get its next bump at TSS, when it goes to Live.

But in the meanwhile, you've bought a chicken sandwich and you're ranting about it not being beef. Coirnav's specific role was punishingly slow XP. Always has been, That's what it says on the tin.
  14. took2summit11 Augur

I’m confused, I just saw Coirnav was about to launch POP and played on the server, had no idea the experience was stupid slow until I was told recently. So the only thing I “bought” was a server that was about to be in POP and beyond, not chicken looking for beef. It’s more like I bought a chicken sandwich and wasn’t told there’d be mayonnaise (which I hate) in my sandwich. It’s unreasonable to think that everyone is going to scour some forum or post somewhere to learn that servers even have different experience rates, I had no idea of this.

Also, my main question is when Coirnav was first dropping, were people actually asking for a punishingly slow experience rate? Based on my experience on these forums it looks like the players asked for mangler to be faster xp and the ask was granted. So I am asking did the vast majority of people ask for ridiculously slow xp and the wish was granted? Or did DBG just cram this idea down our throats and we accepted it as the only option.
  15. Neldarion Lorekeeper

There's a lot of guilds on Coirnav, so people like it. If your play times are limited and you want faster XP, go for Mangler.
  16. Protagonist Tank

Nobody crammed anything down your throat. You joined a special ruleset server and didn't ask what the rules were, now you've accidentally found out and are trying to frame your ignorance as a betrayal.

Phinny had the same rules but a lot of people missed it's launch and wanted in on it, so after Agnarr they added a Phinny clone - CV.
  17. took2summit11 Augur

You’ve somehow managed to get me involved in a tangent that makes zero sense. My only main question is did people actually ask for/want a punishingly slow server? That’s really all I’m wondering. I’m going to continue to play Coirnav regardless, and you need to calm down with me saying I’ve been betrayed, lol
  18. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

Erasmus's Lemma: The dev team are players just like us and therefore aren't fans of the terrible XP rates either, but bean counting suits above them equate garbage XP to more daybreak cash/XP pot purchases.

Erasmus's Postulate: Players on the forums clamoring for slow XP don't actually care about the speed of XP for themselves, they just want everyone else to have slow XP so they don't get out-leveled so quickly.

Erasmus's Theorem: Players clamoring for slow XP will always get out-leveled, because someone who plays 2x as much will always hit max level in less than half the time. The XP rate is irrelevant.

Erasmus's Corollary: Players clamoring for slow XP tend to spend more time on the forums than in-game, so even when their requests are granted, they are still quickly out-leveled by players with more play time. Then they self-select themselves out of the playerbase, so the players making the request wind up not even being around to experience the "reward" and the rest of us have to deal with their inane legacy.

EDIT: small typos
    getlostgreg and took2summit11 like this.
  19. HoodenShuklak Augur

I believe it was Jeff Bezos who said "I made some mistakes in my life and i regret cheating on my wife. But i would never make the mistake of playing on Coirnav."
    PathToEternity and EnchFWO like this.
  20. Tizim New Member

When they announced the mangler/selos changes 3 weeks ago, I brought up adjusting the xp rates on coirnav now would help the mass amounts of new players leaving here. No one cared. I asked why no one cared on the server and got called a troll. Coirnav will be fine for a few more expansions but after OoW they will start noticing a serious lack of players. Dbgs really pulled the rug out from coirnav.