Which Version of Freeport

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Thexian, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Thexian Journeyman

Which one will be used? Revamp or original?
  2. Gremin Augur

It will always be revamped, they have stated numerous times they dont even have the files on the original anymore.
    Pirlo likes this.
  3. Xanathol Augur

Your statement is accurate - it is the new one and that is what they said. Thing is, it is also false (from the devs that is) - those files are readily available and easy to hook back in when running an . They just don't want to do it, even though it takes less than an hour to do.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

It does not take less than an hour to set up a system in which a specific TLP server is using different zone geometry than the rest of their servers. Freeport needs to stay in its revamped form for access to Prophecy of Ro zones.
  5. Punchu Augur

I've lost count of the number of things that we were told were not possible to do for technical reasons, and then they happened anyway.
    SweetLaxTho and Glistarian like this.
  6. Tachyon Augur

7. Hateseeker Augur

Besides, removing golden idols, focus effects, etc, all that's more important than restoring the Classic zone we all had to travel through.
    Herf likes this.
  8. PwnQuest Augur

Revamped - they won't ever have original on here, due to their lack of dev hours to get the TLPs to not be linked to the same geometry as live servers.
    Herf likes this.
  9. Risiko Augur

Don't always believe what you are told at face value. The files exist. I and many others have original Freeport on their servers, and we didn't have to do anything to make it be there. The current game client simply doesn't zone you in to the old Freeport. It instead zones you in to the newer version of the zone.

A more accurate reason why they won't use the old Freeport is because there is a lot of NPCs, quests, pathing, etc that would have to be applied and/or remapped for the old version of the zone.

But, the zone itself is there. It's installed on your computer right this very second.
  10. SweetLaxTho Elder

"Not possible to do for technical reasons" is DB speak for "we don't feel like doing it and you will pay for the game anyway" gotta keep it PC even in EQ forums apparently.
  11. Risiko Augur

My favorite of all time was when they used to say that they could not add new armor and weapon graphics to the game because they were running out of memory space. Then they created the Marketplace where you could pay for it with real money, and *BAM* there was plenty of memory space!
    SweetLaxTho likes this.
  12. Ceffener Augur

They still complain about memory space all the time in Veterans.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

They used to talk about the global asset cache (or something to that effect). I wonder, though, if that was from before the graphics engine revamp(s).
  14. Risiko Augur

That's most likely the case.

Point is, if there's money to be made off of it, it can be done ;)
  15. Toruch Fleshrot Augur

I miss the original Freeport.
    SweetLaxTho and YourNameHere like this.
  16. phaeril Augur

There is a DoD monster mission in butcherblock that has you killing guards and stuff in one of the old Freeport zones. I did that the other day and came to the conclusion that I don't miss old Freeport as much as my nostalgia gland insists that I do.
    code-zero likes this.
  17. Xanathol Augur

You can also get there via Jade Tiger, if you have said familiar. I for one love old Freeport.
  18. Gremin Augur

I am not a computer expert but the files I am talking about are the back end files, not the ones we have on our computer.
  19. Gremin Augur

They have also stated that they dont want different versions of their servers running around, which they would have to do in order to have the old FP up and running.
  20. Xanathol Augur

If you are inclined, check out the eqemu community / builds and you'll get a better idea what we're talking about. The zones themselves are on the client side and still exist. From a DB perspective, you would have to update the zoneline connections (very easy) then check related tables for spawns, loot, faction, and pathing (other than pathing, most one would hope would be the same).

But as mentioned earlier, some of these zones do still exist - you can get to them right now via valid methods on live servers (see my Jade Tiger comment). It is there and running and you can check it out for yourself.