Which toon for casual on Phinny: WAR or BRD?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kywen, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Kywen Augur

Hi peepage!

Like, I'm a casual player and I don't really know what the effect of instanced raids is going to be on Phinny because I've never really raided before anyway. The problem is my work schedule... I work utterly random hours, because I'm on call 24/7 with no regular days off and no regular sleep schedule. Making raid times every night with my guild is impossible, though I could probably do it 2x a week on random days.

I want to go either WAR or BRD on the new server... which do you think will have better luck getting pickup groups and pickup raids (if there will be such a thing)? Or do you think any guilds would take a WAR with no prior raid experience who could only make the raid twice a week?

-K
  2. Darth Augur

Druid, or Shaman.
  3. AlmarsGuides Augur

Do not go Warrior if you're a casual DO NOT.

For all of Darth's retardedness (Zaides word not mine) he's right, go Druid, Shaman or Necromancer.
    Simone and Elkay like this.
  4. taliefer Augur

between the two, go bard.

if you are taking other suggestions, and you like melee, monk isnt a bad casual choice. not very gear dependent at all.
    Simone likes this.
  5. Kexon New Member

Between the 2 , bard , if you are casual don't be a warrior , if you want to tank , think a knight class,.... or buy a bunch of krono and trade it for gear in a couple weeks ..../shrug
    Simone likes this.
  6. Kywen Augur

Yeah, I am pretty much leaning BRD with a DRU on my other account, which I can play when I can't find anything fun with the first toon. However, is it possible with the instanced raids, a casual WAR might be far more of a success on this server than any other? IDK, but any thoughts on this?

-K
  7. Works Elder

You'll probably have more luck in pickup groups in Classic with pretty much any class but those two. Post-Kunark the Bard will get more popular with the public and once Velious drops Warriors will be in (relatively) high demand.

I doubt that many guilds would turn down a Warrior regardless of experience but you're likely to wind up second or third string if you're only making two random raids at the most each week. That can create an odd situation where you'll never catch up to the main tanks in terms of gear but because you're not a main tank you're less likely to get gear, which means you'll never catch up to the main tanks in terms of gear but because you're not a main tank....you see where this is going. Granted: that situation can depend entirely upon how your Guild handles loot.

As for the Bard, well, it's been a long time since I was raiding at the edge of content but I seem to remember them being pretty rare back in the day so I can't really say how that would turn out. Again, your mileage (and loots) will depend mostly upon how many people you're competing with and how present you are.
  8. Kywen Augur

Good points, Works... thanks for your post!

-K
  9. Merau Journeyman

If you're not the main warrior of your guild, you're basically reduced to a death touch taking body bag. You also need far better gear on your warrior. At least as a bard, you are really needed for mana song, pulling, and resist songs. Gear isn't nearly as important.
  10. taliefer Augur

yea, dont really understand the bard hate. bards are great in classic, even casual ones. its like a bonus when they show up. resist songs are huge on dragon fights
  11. Elkay Augur

No properly played class will be denied from a group (unless the role is filled).

However, you picked two of the most difficult classes to play properly. Melee are also the most expensive to gear up and don't really shine until Velious+.

I would recommend Shaman or Druid. They're both pretty straight-forward classes and will be easier to get a group with. If you insist on melee, I'd recommend Monk.
  12. Lejaun Augur

I'd second this, but I'd change the choices to a druid or necromancer for casters , monk if a melee.
    Elkay likes this.
  13. Tachyon Augur

I'd go Wizzy, and for your box throw in a Chanter for buffs and charmed pets. Both are always appreciated in groups, even if short term. Warrior takes too much time dedication and Bards, while I absolutely loved them back in the day are not as appreciated as they once were. Players tend to look dps first in pick up groups these days.
  14. Poydras Augur

Bard, warrior, and wizard are three classes that are badly second rate at the role they play in xp groups and only really should be played if you want to raid, where they finally pull their weight. At least for the first several expansions, eventually they get brought more in line.
  15. MBear Augur

I can't agree with that sentiment about bard. Especially a 30+ bard. I'm happy to have them join my groups.
    Have had great xp even with an enchanter and bard both in group for mana / cc / charm. Pumping the casters, controlling the room, making XP.
    Elkay likes this.
  16. Elkay Augur

/nod

Goes back to what I was saying about properly playing a class. A bard that just stands there and melees is a bad bard and can easily be replaced with any other class.
  17. Marthisdil Augur

SK for group tanking. Warrior is only good for end-game raiding tanking tbh. Shaman is decent. I enjoy playing the bard - so many things you can do!

Mage/Necro = easy soloing when not in a group.
  18. Delphwind Augur

Go bard and start with the server, you will still be rather group dependent but there will be SO many people that would more than gladly take a bard it wont matter.

Enjoy your perma-group!
    MBear likes this.
  19. Moranis Augur

I'd say Bard if you can deal with the fact that they can't do anything well...only everything average or less. And they can't use bows...which I think is stupid.
    Warriors are just weak sauce...seems like they can't hold aggro for a damn until they drop 8 kronos on http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=117 or get their epic.
  20. Kywen Augur

That's my biggest complaint against bards!