which tank to add

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Rheyna, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Rheyna New Member

I can't decide which tank to add to druid/necro/bard group. These characters are staying so it will be between a warrior or paladin. Anyone have any thoughts on which tank would be better in this setup.

I will be starting from scratch and doing all the achievements I can. I will not be raiding just group content and all the older raids possible. I do not want to play a shadow knight.

Trying to figure out if the ease of boxing a warrior would be better than the utility of the paladin so I could play the necro and druid more.
  2. Petalonyx Augur

I'd lean warrior.
  3. Heajol Augur

I might be biased, but I have to mention that I have found that paladin and druid augment each other well. The paladin's strength in group heals and HoTs is where the druid is weak in healing.
    Yinla likes this.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

I box a cleric and have always found knights easier to heal. Warriors shine on the heavier hitters and longer fights where their discs stand out. But in the standard grind the knights helping the heal make life a lot easier on the healer.

Since you are multiboxing and going to skimp on the tank, you might miss out a lot on those pally stuns and patch heals. In which case the warrior would probably be the better option.

I have no experience playing a tank so my thoughts have a somewhat limited value. I play ENC and CLR.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Pick a tank, any tank. They're all good.
  6. Daseem New Member

I’ll second Paladin. Helps with Druid weakness in healing, has a bard for good adps, does pretty good dps this xpac, and if that’s not the case in whatever comes next or where you’re hunting, the Necro will be able to contribute more due to longer fight times. Plus another Rez is always nice. I’ve always loved the fact that you can take care of so many things from one screen with paladins: tanking, heals, cures, rez’s, and decent pulling/root cc if you need.

However, and it’s a pretty big however, they do require a lot of attention to really get the most out of, so a lot will come down to your boxing setup and/or skill whether or not you would actually see any real benefit from going Paladin. You will have to spend the large majority of your time on that screen so if you prefer to spend more time on a different toon it that may also influence your decision. I will say that the other classes you have are decent ones to be able to create some good macros on a get a good amount out of them without having to spend a lot of time on their screens if you so choose.

Warriors are great in their own right, love mine. They are obviously a lot easier to box, mitigate amazingly well when you have your disc rotations down, and will even put out some decent damage with a bard when you can dual wield or 2h. With just a Druid healing however you may not feel comfortable doing so on harder content so may be a moot point.

So imo Paladin would be the best fit with your group synergistically IF you can or are willing to put forth the extra effort. If not, Warrior will do more for you.
  7. Rheyna New Member

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with the paladin. The extra healing and utility seems it may help augment the druid and necro better.
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Snack Augur

Can I ask why not an SK? (gnome SK of course). Warriors are far better meat shields, but for day in day out, the ability to keep themselves alive WHILE continuing to dish out damage make SKs super fun.

I've never played a paladin past level 5 or 6, so I really don't know how they roll, I just know that I enjoy the refusal to die while having the ability to melt a little bit of face is fun with the SK.
  9. Rheyna New Member

I was thinking about a shadow knight but I did try one out before and it was just not my play style. Maybe because I play the necromancer. It is just hard to decide whether to just use the warrior for a meat shield and be more active on druid necro or play paladin more while using druid necro as more utility and extra damage. Guess I can level both and see which I like better.
  10. Cuuthbert Augur

I would do a paladin with the group you have. Since you have no cleric you need the extra healing if you want to do harder content
  11. Raptorjesus5 Augur

When in doubt, shadowknight for group tanking. Ultimately all three tank classes are good enough to do what you need. With a druid you won't really need any extra healing.
  12. Tucoh Augur

Any of the tanks (including SKs) will work well. Pal/sk require more effort to box effectively, but are more independent and will be less reliant on the druid for healing. Paladins are in a great spot this expansion because of the number of undead and can fill the group healing role while the druid is nuking. SKs are generally the best group tanks.
  13. TYBARIS Journeyman

I would go with a SK can snare/FD/AE AGGRO/ just a good solid tank. But you will need to do the epic 2.0