Where'd My UI Go ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Chanteren, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Chanteren Elder

So I ran the long patch and logged in.

First thing I noticed was that none of my accounts and passwords had been saved as they used to be. OK, so I entered one for my main and went into EQ.

EVERYTHING WAS WRECKED. Hotbars in the wrong place, spellbar in the wrong place, no socials, all the hard work I had done to personalize my UI was gone. WAIT! I can Copy Layout!

Did Copy Layout and the only selections were Default#### or my enchanter (why her?).
    So I selected my enchanter's UI file knowing at least we had the same setup for hotbars, chat windows and such. BUT, no luck. Only a few things were in the right place.

So I checked the Backup folder. Empty.

I tried System Restore. No luck cause I'm an idiot and on this new computer I hadn't set any restore points.

SOL. MAN am I angry.
    Jwiz
  2. Lennyn Elder

Your UI is gone and all my characters are gone.

Log in to character select screen and it's empty. Yes, it was the correct server.
  3. Vdidar Augur

It’s on your end. They’ve tested all this extensively for a week guys.
    Thoron and EnchFWO like this.
  4. svann Augur

rofl
  5. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Please reacquire your characters through gameplay!
    SoroxDrinal, Lennyn and Vdidar like this.
  6. svann Augur

When you get it back together, backup your files.
    eqclient.ini
    charname_server.ini
    UI_charname_server.ini
    /userdata
    /customuifolder

And it also may be a good idea to backup just the custom ui mod files that you use into a separate folder. I say this because at some point you may want to recreate your custom ui folder based on copying the default and then adding in your mod files, rather than just using the entire backup. You do it that way when a patch breaks something in the custom ui but you dont know which or what. So you add the modded files back in one by one.
  7. Chanteren Elder

Wow, HOW could they this up so badly? I mean it isn't that hard to copy a folder to the same location and yet leave what's there the same (as long as the folder name is unchanged).

Just WOW. I'm looking at 2-4 DAYS work on these for all the socials and AAs in the right place (I use 10 hotbars, all full).
    Jwiz
  8. Lennyn Elder

Hahahahahaha!!!!
    Herf likes this.
  9. Lennyn Elder

I'm not trying to rain on your rant in any way. I'm just gonna say two things.

First, I guess you'll be backing up those files yourself from now on eh? :) And I'm hoping that issue gets fixed for you so you don't have to redo all those socials.

Second, how long you been playing EverCamp bruh? Patch/launch days have been like this from the beginning. How do they screw this up? Really? That's their MO bro! :D
  10. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Are you sure it was "them"?
    I logged in just fine, had my chars there just fine, my UI pieces at the right place.
    On one account, yes, the characters took quite some time loading - chat-related issue that i was hoping would get a fix with the patch, but nothing new.
    Also, copying over ini-files to somewher e"safe" is standard procedure, isn't it?
  11. Chanteren Elder

Well, today I logged in my main and it was the same SNAFU.

I spent an hour or so carefully reproducing my UI as best I could. Also noted that all my spellsets were gone. Ugh. Recreated them.

THEN I logged in my alts, and they were FINE ! So I did Options>Copy Layout just to see, and all my UI files were present on my alts. I thought that was odd, so I went to my Everquest folder and did search for "UI" and found they were ALL in the top folder, not in the UIfiles folder. I copied them into the UI folder and THEN my main could do a Copy Layout and see the files there unspoiled. (Didn't actually do the copy.)

I camped my main and returned to find my UI fully intact, written over the changes I had labored over, which was fine with me.

Noticed a small patch today when reloading my main. Didn't find any changes as noted above.

/whew ! The first thing I did was alter Windows so I could create a restore point, and backed up my files including all of Everquest folder to the cloud. What a relief.
    Jwiz
    svann likes this.
  12. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Windows restore point has nothing to do with EverQuest so you should take the time to back up the files to something like Google Drive, DropBox, One Drive, an email, an external hard drive or a flash drive or all of the above so that the next time something similar happens or if you get a new computer or have to upgrade or reinstall the OS or just want to reuse the same lay out for a new character you'll have the files.
  13. Leigo You come here often?

There's an easier way to do the custom UI fixes.. an error file is created when something isn't right. It will tell you what file isn't loading correctly
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It sounds like you allegory installed a second copy of EQ.
    Zhaunil_AB likes this.
  15. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Even though he apparently didn't mean it that way with his ill-fated attempt at sarcasm, Vididar was certainly right above:
    it's on your end.
    Again: i am not having ANY issues, so it's certainly not the patch that is to blame for your problems.

I don't quite get this.
    Why again would you copy the UI_charname_servername.ini files into the UI files folder?
    They have been in the EQDir since forever and i don't know if EQ would even look elsewhere for them.
    It sounds to me as if you don't quite know what you are doing there...
    The UIFiles folder is empty, save for the subfolders \default and any custom variants you chose to have (and which the /loadskin command corresponds to).
    And the actual UIFiles subfolders do not contain ini files, but the XML's and other files that are needed for your (custom) UI (which are valid/available for all characters, like spellgem files, individual target rings and the likes), while the UI_charname_servername.ini (which is rightfully found in the EQDir) files contain the character-specific stuff like which UI is to be used (default or any custom one), placements of the UI pieces per resulution and so on (settings which you can change by dragging stuff around and rightclicking the window pieces to bring up the menu).
  16. Aurastrider Augur

I will say after having to do a fresh reinstall of windows recently and losing everything it sucks but at the same time it made me evaluate my setup. The process of reproducing all my socials did not take nearly as long as it did years ago. In the end I feel like it has actually made me a better player or at least my setup is a little more efficient than it was before. Hitting the reset button on things in life sometimes forces us to evaluate the processes we have in place and the end result can be a positive one if you are actively looking at this as an excuse to become better rather than getting frustrated with things. I was frustrated at first but in the end I am kind of happy I lost everything. I am still trying to overcome some of the muscle memory from my old setup but I am also seeing more dps and significantly less down time than I was previously.
  17. Millianna Augur

If they ever patch something without breaking something I’ll go play the lotto.