Where to farm plat

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by hawk73, Feb 2, 2019.

1. hawk73 Journeyman

Like the title says. I'm a 79 ranger and wanting to know where is a good place to farm plat for spells and the like. Any help would be appreciated thanks :)
  2. KermittheFroglok Augur

Do you have All Access/plan to sell in the bazaar, or is your account generally in F2P status?
  3. Madmax1939 Lorekeeper

I would try either of the camps in plane of fire. Once you are in the first castle area or go deeper in to tables. You get a lot of diamond drops and other vender trash. Plus caster and priest mobs drop the spell binding powders as you get them just type /barter and immediately sell to a buyer. I am not sure on other servers but on xegony, I pay 341pp currently per powder. Also the research sheets themselves might sell in bazaar if you got a gold account but I am not sure about that.

Another bonus is the mobs are headshotable so a ranger can do well there for farming. Just don't get charmed on the way to tables lol.

edit forgot you should also get writing ink off the mobs which is a good sell in barter too.
    Gundolin likes this.
  4. Aurastrider Augur

If you just want plat now via vendor trash pretty much any zone 20ish levels under you with a high density of mobs is your best option. If you want higher returns for your time pick places that have a chance to drop some of the rare tradeskill materials needed for artisan's prize progression. Some of these items can fetch tens of thousands and even over a hundred k plat to the right buyer. You can still farm all of the other mobs in the area to get the normal vendor trash while also chasing that "rare" for a big payday.

With that being said your earning potential goes up exponentially as you level so don't over farm at lower levels. Once you have enough plat to progress further refocus on levels as this is where the true power of farming comes from.

An alternative option which does usually require some funds up front is to not even leave the bazaar. Some of the richest players in this game have toons that operate non stop buying and selling like stock brokers. You do have to have a good understanding of a multitude of items, your server population, and be willing to take risks but the best plat hoarders become rich not from killing mobs but from buying what you consider useless junk and reselling it to someone else that thinks its treasure. You could start by looking at what tradeskill materials various barters are buying and then do some vendor diving and see if anyone offloaded some high value items. Just a couple nights ago I found a ton of items that barters were paying hundreds of plat for and bought them for a couple plat off a vendor. But I am a hoarder of materials myself so I kept them instead of selling them but I could have made several thousand plat in a matter of seconds doing basically nothing but browsing the vendors stock.
    Oxgoad, Dark_Pheonix and Annastasya like this.
  5. Mithra Augur

Harpys in Blackfeather Roost or elementals in Katta Castrum for vendor trash.
  6. Ultrazen Augur

If you want to burn through stuff really fast.
    1. City of mist. There are a lot of drops that worth 115plat each, and the individual mobs can drop up to 12 plat each. Money adds up really fast in here if you are over leveled and can burn through the place. The mobs also have ridiculously low hitpoints, so you can clear the entire place. Depending on what server, you'll most likely have the place to yourself.

2. Dulaks Harbor. Same sort of thing, a lot of gem drops

3. Rathe hill giants. An oldie but a goodie. Giants drop up to 40 plat each cash + finesteel weapons. The good thing about giants is, that entire area is on an instant respawn. When you run out of giants, just start killing some of the lowbie mobs that wonder there. There's also a vendor right there to sell your fine steel to.

4. Plane of Fire also a good choice and the mobs will still actually be green/light blue so some slight exp gains as well.

An hour or two at any of those place should get you more than enough to fund your spell buying etc for a while.
  7. hawk73 Journeyman

Yes Im all access player.
    Thanks all for your help it is greatly appreciated :)
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Don't forget the loyalty tokens. You earn 120/week at full steam and a bag of plat is 423 tokens. That bag will contain a random amount of plat between 14k-16k.

So if you have an account that is at least a year old then it is earning max on points and you could buy this once a month if nothing else you want under the loyalty merchant.

Disclaimer: Only paying account can buy the bags of currency from loyalty merchants.
  9. Quill Augur

Start by rolling and levelling a healer box. Then run the Gribbles HA missions in Dark Hills in COTF. Each set of 3 give you like 10-15K per in vendor drops. Use Marks of Valor to buy non-visibles. Visibles should be TBM using Remnants of Tranquility for the heroics and focii, if you can get Into The Temple (b).

If you build yourself a set of gear, and in particular build TBM weaponry early for the DPS, you'll come out of it ~90 and can absolutely faceroll mercenary/partisan zone missions in xpacs of your level and be pulling in cash drops while you work non-auto grant AA.

At that point, you'll make money quite quick simply as part of the xp process.
  10. Buri Augur

I don't really farm plat, my normal activities keep me in enough cash, but... I have found a few places with good money: I'll include some of the lower ones for anyone else who may be perusing this.

Way back in the day we used to farm the Giants in Mountains of Rathe, Each one would drop 10-25pp.
    At lower levels (30-35), Tower of Frozen Shadow drops tons of 10pp weapons, as well as lots of velium for selling or Tradeskills.
    Plane of Growth drops a lot of gems if you don't mind ruining Tunare faction
    Gyrospire Beta and Zeka: off of fort Mech, have plenty of inventory space if you go, and the abundant trash drops sell well. Good for your level.
    Tempest Temple, once you get over 100, there are some crabs at the bottom of the ramp near zone-in, practically every one of them drops a diamond or blue diamond.
  11. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

Underfoot, Underfoot, Underfoot.

About half the mobs drop 25-50pp and all the mobs drop lots of diamonds, glowstones, glowgems and old spells that sell for 100pp+ each
  12. Mithra Augur

Not sure a newbie level 79 ranger would appreciate a difficult level 85 expansion.
    Annastasya and Quatr like this.
  13. Wuddane Elder

I would suggest putting your track to use in the Serpent's Spines zones, such as blightfire moors, the mesa, and blackfeather roost. All the rare mobs drop loot that sell very well to vendors (some up to 700pp or so off rares in blackfeather). In the moors, there is a large treant in the center swamp that is on a timer and drops a nice sellable. Other named may be on track...you should look at a list. Again on the mesa, there are several giants in the caves and several centaurs that are on a timer and their items sell for 200ish-500ishpp. There are also static rares you can track for. The roost is nice because in the entry area cave the mobs fight each other, so they constantly spawn rares. Multiples can be up of the same name too.
    Also, a lot of the plain vendor trash off these mobs does sell for a lot (as someone mentioned earlier, the harpy feathers from further in the roost stack, drop often, and sell very well).
    Once you get in a groove of where the static 'rares' are (they always spawn, I don't know the timer though) you can make a swift pass through a few zones with several thousand platinum worth of items..
  14. Phiyre Augur

Best thing from the loyalty vendor I have found is the gold ticket. It sells for 100-150k pp so for the crowns spent, best bang for your buck..
    Slippry and Gundolin like this.
  15. Annastasya Augur

One thing no one has mentioned yet is to invest in your inventory slots first. You want a full set of packs or containers that have 100% weight reduction, Giant size capacity and as many slots as you can get. 2 to 3 of the 40 slot Tradeskill item only containers is also a pretty good idea.

i know it's obvious, but the more inventory slots you have available, the more loot you can haul per adventure without stopping to sell.
    Oxgoad likes this.
  16. SunDrake Augur

The bag space suggestion by Annastasya is solid. Its my tactic on whatever server I start. However, my experience is that good satchels are hard to come by and way overpriced when you find em. Just keep an eye out on the Bazaar and know what you're willing to pay and you can build up, but it's not quick.
  17. Sagarmatha Augur

Also equip an Extraplanar Satchel. They only hold tradeskill items (you would be surprised how many items are flagged for TS), but are 32 slots, 100% weight reduction, holds up to GIANT, and are only about 5K in the Bazaar. The silks and ores and pelts add up FAST, stack to 1000, and are always in demand when you use the /barter feature. Speaking of which, ALWAYS check /barter before you sell anything to a vendor.
    Wijimoto likes this.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, the extraplanars are very nice. I put 2-3 in inventory for every char I play. The 40 slotters from the store are nice, but for only 8 more slots, hard to justify the price.

Other options: There's a /claim for Dream Satchel, 16/Giant/100%, 999 available. I've been in EQ long enough, I have no idea if everyone gets this, or if it's from an expac I bought long ago.

There have been other claimable bags, but not 999, just one for one char, but again, not sure how I got those, or if the OP has access.

Another possibility, depending on the OPs status, is the Loyalty vendor in PoK (or Sunrise Hills). They have a 16/Giant/100% available for ~1700 Loyalty crowns, a different bag for each month of the year, but they are not LORE.

There's a quest: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5522 for a 20/Giant/100% that I think any decently-leveled char (i.e. over 50 or so) should be able to complete.

Completing all of the hunters achievements in HoT netted me 5 Giant/100% bags, sizes were, I think, 15/15/16/16/20. Granted, you're 79, so not capable of that yet, but perhaps other lower-leveled expacs have something similar.

And since nobody stated the obvious, thought I'd mention, just for the sake of completeness: Every new char should go get, for every slot which doesn't have something better: Deluxe Tool Box, available in PoK (just do a "Find" on tinkering vendors), it's 10/Giant/0%, so no weight-reduction, but will hold anything. Fill up the bank and any slot which can't do better. They sell for just over 1pp each, so withing reach of everyone. And if you're not a gnome, they will never open as a tradeskill container, and you won't have any accidental combines (is that even a thing anymore?).
    Quatr likes this.
  19. Quatr Augur

I usually use Trader Satchels for bank slots. They take up less screen real estate and are easier to manage.

Also, Paul Lynch maintains this guide which lists a variety of "Easy Bags".
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

The Lynch link is a good one. Apparently the quest bag I mentioned can be done by a level 1. I was only off by 49 levels!

For the bank, I don't really care about the "Combine" button and such, because I use an add-on which makes the bank one big window. It's an awesome add-on, I'd recommend it to everyone. It looks like it may be this one: https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=6336. I'm not exactly sure, because mine comes with the AYA interface: https://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=5518

Also, I like to be able to swap containers from the bank to inventory and back, so not having to worry about heavy bags helps.