Where is my lvl 8 pet heal Renew elements....

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Falisaty, May 27, 2017.

1. Falisaty New Member

its no where at any of the mage venders anywhere... was it taken out of the game? if so why?
  2. Ishbu Augur

Its a kunark era spell
  3. Captain Video Augur

I think it's supposed to be an original Classic spell. Back then spells didn't unlock every level, there were groups at level 1, 4, 8, etc. Renew Elements would have been in the original level 8 group. When the spell system was reworked to allow something new to be unlocked at every level, some spells got level changes which weren't intuitively obvious, and in the process confusions arose. It makes no sense to claim now that the original game had no low-level pet heal. Besides, I trust ZAM on things like this, and ZAM says it's original. :)
  4. Machentoo Augur

Zam has it tagged wrong, it seems.

Pet heals did not exist at all during original classic EQ. Some of them have been released early on some TLP's though, so not surprising there is some confusion.

If you click Lucy View for Renew Elements, and go to the history tab, you can see that Renew Elements didn't exist in the spell database until 2002.
  5. Basak Augur

That's pretty much all spells. There is no database prior to 2002. All spells should start at 2002 so while it may be true Renew Elements was a later addition (I never played pet classes back then) spells I know where in classic are listed at 2002.
  6. Machentoo Augur

Thanks, I stand corrected. Still learning something new every day about this game.

Looks like it renew elements was in by Dec 2000 but no one is really completely sure before that point. I think I remember them being added after initial launch, but it may well have been before Kunark, and I can't find anything in the early patch notes about it.

http://web.archive.org/web/20011125...lm.com:80/spells/spelldescriptions.asp?Id=323
  7. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Sorry for the ZAM era confusion. I'm also not 100% when the spell originally was put in the game but I do know it has been restricted on prior TLP servers until Kunark and have marked it as such on the spell list now. If you find any other spells you believe aren't actually available or are flagged for a wrong era (on ZAM I can't change ingame stuff ;)) feel free to drop me a PM or post them here and I'll take a look.
    Your_Ad_Here and Machentoo like this.
  8. Basak Augur

I want to say that the level 8 healing spells were added much like enchanters got breeze. To compensate for the low level grind that was present in classic before Kunark. The pet heals were L29 before the spells every level change and were research only. Adding the lower level ones in Kunark made leveling pet classes a little bit easier and gave an option to have a pet heal if you couldn't find, or had a hard time making, the L29 version of it from Classic.
  9. Machentoo Augur

Hey Bobby, I tracked it down.

Casters realm archive page discusses it here: here http://web.archive.org/web/20010630...80/spells/spelldescriptions.asp?Id=323&Page=2

Now, the thing about casters' realm is it seems anything that was posted prior to 1/28/2001 is listed as 1/28/2001 post date. Since it is the first post out of a number of posts listed as 1/28/2001, it was probably posted quite a while before that date. At any rate the 2/17 patch he refers to seems to be the February 17, 2000 patch (that would be the only 2/17 in between everquest launch and 1/28/2001 anyway.)

The 2/17/2000 patch lists this in the patch notes:

- New Necromancer spells are now in game. Check your spell vendors.

So I guess they just forgot to mention new Magician spells as well.
    So, it looks like it was in game prior to Kunark launch (barely), and should technically be listed (and included on tlps) as classic/original after all.
    Rhodz likes this.
  10. Alexanders Augur

It's level 7 spell now but it should be classic.

Any of these sites can help you find your spells by expansion.
    http://destef.dyndns.org/spells/index.php
    https://spells.eqresource.com/spellsearch.php
    http://www.eqstats.net/Spells.aspx
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spelllist.html

Thanks to
    Xanadas's
    EverQuest Progression Server Spell Guide
    Spell: Renew Elements

freportw, felwitheb
    Vendor Purchased from
    TharmaJaremi in West Freeport

Vendor Purchased from
    Griff Candleflame in Southern Felwithe

Also great place for TLP info
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/useful-links-for-tlp-server-ragefire.220626/
  11. Basak Augur

Guess I was wrong when they were put in, but only barely. =P
    Machentoo likes this.
  12. Captain Video Augur

So back to the OP, has any dev reasoning been given for why this spell is not in Classic? I'm not used to playing any of the int casters, and I rolled a mage main on Agnarr. I'm at the point where living without the pet heal is a nuisance. It's already bad enough that I have to consult guides (which I am trying very hard to avoid overall) just to find where I can buy low-level spells which for some unfathomable reason aren't for sale at any of my hometown (Qeynos) vendors. E.g.: Dimensional Pocket, Summon Fang -- both very useful. I ended up rolling a Gnome alt just to get them from an Al'Akanon vendor, and boy do I hate Al'Akanon! The logic of trying to replicate the extra effort it once took to track down all of your low-level spells is kind of out the window since we all start now with shared bank slots.

I also observe ZAM has updated its master mage spell list since my previous post earlier today. Those guys are ON it!
  13. Machentoo Augur

No. I will say that often things that are borderline get pushed to the following expansion. It's not uncommon to see zones, spells, zone revamps etc that released a month or two before the next expansion launch included with the later expansion, rather than the one they technically released under. In this case the spell didn't exist for 3/4 of the classic era, so it's not unreasonable to have them include it with kunark launch. And over the course of the different TLP's, they've gone back and forth on some of these border cases.
  14. Captain Video Augur

But we're not starting with the original spell lists anyway. We're using the revamped lists that unlock something for every caster at every level. None of that is Classic. Hence my confusion, and I think other players as well.
  15. Throndor Augur

Yep, if "just before an expansion " = in the earlier expansion, than I expect to see cazic Thule revamp during velious because ct was revamped shortly before Luclin launched.
  16. Rhodz Augur

Yeah this a few other "fixes" that would have been in classic if they had known it was going to be needed.
    See a long list of post concerning Breeze and others going way back.
    Still do not know why all such fixes were not included and I doubt we ever will.
    The Classic(tm) experience lol
  17. Throndor Augur

Breeze is out because potion sales in the mp. Was nice having it on fippy though
    Rhodz likes this.
  18. Rhodz Augur

Yeah but I was not going to be the one to point that out.
    Just look at what is for sale to see what is going to be... impeded.
    One can be cynical and should when evidence support it, but one must be on guard against becoming a cynic.
    Tough one in this day and age.