When does tanking get more complicated?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Dabrixmgp, May 28, 2015.

1. Repthor Augur

i like to section my abilitys for purpose singel target tanking aggro , AE tanking aggro , Dpsing, singel target tanking mitigation, AE tanking mitigation. so i can look at a section of my ui and find the cooldowns of my stuff faster.

but i mean if you use to your way changeing your ui layout is gonna cripple you alot cuz your trained yourself to look at a spesific place alreaddy . but to me your layout look like someone shotgunned warrior abilitys all over your bars. but its all personal prefrence

and keybind EVERYTHING . ppl that say they are just as fast clickers as keybinders are just makeing excuses there no way you can cover as many clicks as keystrokes without saccing mobility and twitch movement
  2. Kamea Augur

(Good) raid tanking isn't really comparable to group tanking. I've seen people who were good group tanks make the transition to raid guilds and it does take some time for them to adjust. Biggest difference is, you need to be mindful of what other tanks are doing and figure out how to work well with other tanks. Plus the consequences of errors are higher on raids so 1-2 second screwups that are fine in the group game will be a bigger deal on raids. Generally speaking, raiding will test your situational awareness more than in groups.
  3. p2aa Augur

It's the first time you have read this thread ? Hmm the 30 th may you posted a "like" on Tearsin stupid post. Nice try
    Also i'm doing very well in term of gameplay , you and others can laugh all you want i don't give a rat.
  4. Lianeb Augur

You can multibind the following with little to no consequences.
    Bash
    Kick/Slam
    Knee Strike
    Gut Punch
    War Stomp

Put Bash before Kick/Slam in your multibind so that you bash with a shield on and kick/slam without one, otherwise you would just kick/slam all the time.

You can save yourself a hotkey by getting rid of Disarm. It is a useless ability unless you are playing in Plane of War where it helps some. It might generate a miniscule amount of aggro but you won't notice not using it.

The others:
    Shield Topple....Mainly cause this locks out Incite
    Warrior's Bulwark
    Tormenting Shout
    Imperator's Command

I do not consider spam abilities and require some timing so I tend to leave the separate.

My hotbars are a mess really and if you just looked at them you would be confused but to me they make a ton of sense. I stack my related abilities on the same keys but from Different Hotbars
    For instance
    Main aggro stuff for me
    6 = Taunt
    alt 6 = Incite
    ctrl 6 = blast of anger
    Shift 6 = Ageless

AE type abilities
    3 = Whirlwind Disc (forget the name)
    alt 3 = Roar of Challenge
    ctrl 3 = Enhanced AE Taunt
    Shift 3 = Wade into battle

This is just a small sample but that is how i organize mine and i sure everyone is a bit different but this way works well for my play style.
  5. TheElusiveFox Journeyman

Being a good tank is about being a good group leader more often than not. Most of the time even on raids the actual tanking is just about holding threat on mob x. But as the tank you have to know what mobs to go after first (unmezzable, healers, casters, etc)... know how to position mobs so you and your raid aren't being knocked all over the place when appropriate. Being able to tell that your healer's hp spiked and might have an add on them, and knowing whether you need to taunt it or let the enchanter deal with it.

In a good group in an organized raid where everything goes right - it will rarely be too too complicated... but the difference between an OK tank and a great tank is the decision making and the awareness when things go wrong.
  6. Xanathol Augur

I'd have to say that is completely the opposite - raid tanking is as easy as it gets compared to good group tanking. Grant it, you can go super slow & safe in a group and make it just as low key as raid tanking, but raids really dumb things down by numbers. In a group, you only have 5 others to help out and typically, you are the only tank. Being a good raider is really just paying attention more than anything else.
  7. Brohg Augur

Agree with Xanathol but only with regards to main tanking raids. As the tank for the boss, you're basically volunteering to proxy the battle between your healers and the boss. Tanking, or arranging the tanking of~, adds and scripts is a different deal since lapses will gut the raid's dps/support pretty quickly.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  8. Brohg Augur

Two-handed Bash AA, you're never Kicking this way. Have to swap the buttons on the fly if you want one over the other.

The loss of efficiency from non-optimal use of Bulwark/Shout/Command is drowned by the frequency gains from adding them to the spam rotation. Insult is the situational alternative to Topple for me, but you'll notice it's 4 and Insult is ctrl+4, so they're both handy.

In these categories, I don't treat Ageless & AET as high agro abilities; they're "grabs" that then have to be followed up with something to hold the mob. I group them more with Warlord's Grasp & Unflinching Attention, mentally.