When are the new models returning?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kolani, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Even when EQ was new, the graphics were unimpressive.
    The spell effects were ok, and the sky was pretty, but zones and models(both pc and npcs) were quite ugly, compared to other games in that era.
    That said, it could handle a lot more models than any other game(I knew) back then. And I understand why they had to compromise on graphic detail back then.

The mix between old and new is not charming at all, I miss a consistent visual art-style rather than the mismatch we are left with....:(
  2. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Personally, i have always preferred the old crushbone orcs over, for example, the SoF orcs in LP.
    The models aren't what "makes it that much harder to want people want to play" either.
    Or well, only for that portion of players that is drawn by eye-candy instead of content, and those pick WoW anyways over EQ.

Speaking only for myself:
    I do not need fancy models or spell effects or other such useless crap.
    In fact, i play with spell effects/particles off as much as i can without impeding raiding (auras...).
    As a tank i don't care how hideous a mob looks - only if it's bad enough to kill us before we kill it.
    Be it a rotdog, hideous monstrosity or a siren (CS sirens look "better" to me than brother island ones too btw)...
    If it is trash, it dies before i get a good look anyways and if it's a boss then yeah.. they can pay some attention to details (dragons, Xegony in PoP...).
    Otherwise: spend the time rather on more variants than details,
    because i find the endless re-use of models far more bothersome than good-old-fashioned crushbone orc looks.
  3. kizant Augur

We have a badass EQ wolf on the left and on the right some awkward looking monstrosity that walked in from a different universe.
    Reynen likes this.
  4. Reynen Journeyman

The new ones are horrible thanks for taking the pictures, it saves me the trouble to explain why you're so wrong.
    kizant likes this.
  5. DinkumThinku99 Elder

I'm fine with the current mix of old and new models: adds variety.

On the other hand, I'll cast my vote for bringing back the old Freeport. That city was my first home town in Everquest many years ago, and I cringe every time I have to go there now: to me, the new version is just an ugly, stupid-looking mess.
    Nniki, Perplexed and Yinla like this.
  6. Kolani Augur

I never liked Old Freeport either. Never having started in Freeport, it always struck me as a city created out of a really bad Doom level.
  7. Febb Augur

The old models are horrible. I understand them being on progression servers but being on live servers doesn't make any sense.
  8. Thash Zoner

The new models and zone revamps should never have happened. They should be in new zones, where they belong.

I can understand newer players, unfamiliar with the old ways, being unhappy with the switch. But I watched in pain years ago as they ruined old zone after old zone, killing all nostalgia for those who had lived and grown there; and filling them with monstrous, mutant caricatures of the creatures that had once roamed happily.

If we can't have the zones back, at least we have this. I've enjoyed the return to classic models very much.

Also, being able to ride mounts with pre-luclin characters? These devs are really rocking. This is the stuff that matters. :D
  9. Flatchy Court Jester

Tell that to the guys on AB ;)
  10. GeauxGeist New Member

I would subscribe in a heartbeat if they brought back original Freeport to progression servers.
    Yinla likes this.
  11. GeauxGeist New Member

I just randomly decided to come back to EQ on this account I made a few years back (when we quit, my grandfather gave the account to one of his guildies) and boom, the old models were back, I squealed like a fangirl. I reckon a lot of older EQ vets would feel the same for a chance at some nostalgia. I think the progression servers are nice, but a real way to get folks like us to subscribe for a chance to play on them? Bring back the old zones. I miss the old EC, WC, NRO, SRO, OoM, etc. I would give anything to feel the fear of running from a Spectre train in Oasis of Marr again- or to do the Shammy Epic 1.0 again in the old Freeport's inn.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. just_some_bard Lorekeeper

The older models look great. PSA, no one read or even view Kolani's posts/comments/opinions. This individual plays on Firiona Vie, indicative of very poor judgment~

Keep the models as they are, the revert was a fine addition!
  13. Warpeace Augur

No that would be TLP members and paying hundreds of real life dollars for a Bear mount that was bugged.
    Maedhros and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  14. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I prefer the newer models, except for trolls and ogres. and yes, I mean NPCs and PCs skeletons are not boxy, nor are animals, but they slimmed down and refined ogres and trolls too much, those races are SUPPOSED to be ugly mofoes.
  15. Gnomereaper Augur

Prefer right side, always have always did. The old world is Doom level graphics, lack of immersion, whilst the Luclin models were meh, that third go around was much more stylish. Granted I love retro zones like unrest, but that skeleton model is just the win.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  16. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

That's a silly statement. Kolani is a great guy who is a solid player and has been helpful for many players myself included.
    Kolani likes this.
  17. Kolani Augur

I see TLP cancer is in the thread still.
    Nennius likes this.
  18. Ishtass Augur

People will always disagree, but my personal opinion is that I like what they did. You go to old zones, you see old models. Everything else in the zone still looks old, and people hate it when they revamp zones for the most part. If you like new models, go to new zones... /shrug
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If you go to an old zone that has been rewamped with new graphics you still see old models.:(

Im fine with old models in old-looking(non-rewamped) zones, but new-looking(rewamped) zones should have the new models, imo.
  20. Ishtass Augur

In those cases I'd rather they fixed the zones ;)