When are the new models returning?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kolani, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Kolani Augur

I found myself in Greater Fay and Misty Thicket for a bit last night, and was immediately smacked in the face by the horrid old models for wolves (I think it was a wolf, or some sort of hideously mutated creature calling itself that) and skeletons. I realize that these are back for the nostalgia trip servers, but when are the newer, better models returning on normal, non progression servers?
    MarttinPH and Jumbur like this.
  2. kizant Augur

Hopefully never. Only crazy people like new models.
  3. Kundow New Member

NEVAR! Old models = best models. Also I know Ella Foodcrafter is your waifu but Misty Thicket is bad.
    Bronut and Reynen like this.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

More bring back old models in illusions and resurrect original Freeport.
    Arraden, Bronut, Spellfire and 2 others like this.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Hopefully they will return soon.
    Imho they should limit nostalgia-driven downgrades to TLP-servers or atleast make it optional...:(

Old models in remade zones like steamfont mountains just looks weird and out of place.

We already have the option of only having old water in old zones, and new water in new and remade zones.
    Why not extend that option to mobs and npcs too?
    Maedhros likes this.
  6. snailish Augur

Prophecy of Ro is a great time in the progression timeline to turn all the "new" on, if one era mark is needed.

-It's past a point where the hardcore nostalgia is still a sell
    -many big revamps occur by then anyways

-turning off the old models builds future sell into future progression servers anyways. The more stuff that is new/different on live is actually better for this salespitch.
  7. Kolani Augur

Nostalgia only goes so far. The newer wolf and skeleton models are vastly superior to the 1999 wolf models that are in place now, and it's not really arguable. Go look at them yourself, I think you're probably misremembering your wolf and skeleton models.
  8. Kolani Augur

This was on a Live server (FV). It seems that everyone is infected by the nostalgia trip.
  9. Warpeace Augur

Maybe just a squirrel.
  10. Warpeace Augur

The old models look horrible. If nothing else give the option to see the new or old models.
  11. snailish Augur

Yes. By flagging all old model revamps to occur as of Prophecy of Ro (or whenever) on progression you would force live to have all the new stuff.

As they continue revamping models this set point would make sense, as live servers would always have the newest & shiniest and there is no real reason to spread out the revamping of critters across numerous expacs (i.e., a new Kunark Rhino model & Cockatrice model for the next expac would be all those types of creatures in the live game for example).

The only exception would be when the revamps hit npc models past prophecy of ro, assuming that ever happens.
  12. Nolrog Augur

The original Freeport will not be back, that much you can bank on. There are a lot of new stuff (e.g., Arcstone zone line) that are not available in the old.
    Reynen likes this.
  13. dwish Augur

I can probably agree that some of the mob models are better with newer ones, but the newer character models (luclin) are god awful and always have been. They are some of the worst character models I have ever seen in any game I have ever played. The animations are even worse. The original PC models at least have some charm and solid animations for the most part, which I why I have always preferred them.
  14. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

This has nothing to do with PC models.

This has to do with things like:

orcs
    skeletons
    spiders
    snakes
    beetles
    etc

For some dumb reason they took us back a 10-15 years graphically for "nostalgia". Makes it that much harder to get people to want to play when they first log in and see super intendo graphics.
    Kolani likes this.
  15. Kolani Augur

I want to know exactly how bad your eyesight is to prefer the model on the left. [IMG]
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. Kolani Augur

Here's another side by side. [IMG]
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  17. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Old zones will have old models, "new" zones will have the newer models. I think that is an okay compromise. It's nice to be era appropriate. There are a lot better things to worry about.
    Prathun and Reynen like this.
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

EverQuest is too old to make a strong "graphics will bring new players" argument. The dominant strategy is to play up the nostalgia factor. The classic models cater to the nostalgia crowd: (1) older people (who played EQ 15 years ago and want to relive the glory days) and (2) young people who are curious. Daybreak recognizes nostalgia as good-dominant strategy since they promote reliving the glory days on social media and resurrecting Velious Armor Textures through "Heritage Crates." Maybe classic EQ can be considered art, like Picasso, with a sort of cult following. (Who said SuperNintendo was bad when Nintendo is resurrecting it to acclaim Sept 2017? https://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic)

If people want superior graphics, they will play EQ2 or WoW. (EQ2 players already recognize EQ1 as graphically inferior no matter what era of models). However, graphically superior games in Daybreak's portfolio like Vanguard and EQ2 have and continue to struggle. Vanguard's graphics were amazing but graphics couldn't save that game. EQ2 has just announced a new round of server transfers and merge (EQ2's Stormhold server merging into AB). https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ords-from-the-tribunal-kanders-candor.580426/ In contrast, Minecraft, which can be considered horrible in terms of graphics, is still immensely popular.

Perhaps, it is dressage wolves and blood-stained skeletons that will keep EQ1 alive. :)
    Reynen, Perplexed and snailish like this.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Progression servers not going passed PoR should have the original Freeport.

It seems daft to have the newer zone when it will never be used for the purpose it was created. Failing that can we change Freeport permanently to the Freeport in the Wizard Epic Retelling, :D