What's with Mounted movement mechanics?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Erekai, Dec 27, 2022.

1. Erekai Journeyman

I have played EQ off and on since 2000, but I have never really had any interest in mounts; never really used them or collected them in any fashion. Well now I'm playing seriously on Yelinak and with the Extra Life rewards recently, I donated enough to get a Mallard mount, and I figure I should probably start using them in the Luclin era which we're in right now.

And I am finding them absolutely unruly and frustrating to control.

Am I doing something wrong? Feels like I'm sliding around on ice all of the time; why is this the behavior of mounts? Do I need to NOT have a movement buff? Do I need to turn on Walk? Do I need to keyboard turn less? (I play in F9 third person mode so I have to keyboard turn). I just don't understand why my mount (curently a horse is all I have) has to feel like it's permanently running around on a frozen lake. Am I missing something? Can I do something to make these things less a$$ to control? They provide so many benefits but I just hate using them because of the cancer way that they move around, not to mention the screen bob they give when running, which is really annoying.

Any pointers? Do all mounts act this way? Are there some I can buy that actually control well and don't make me want to break my keyboard? Am I doomed forever to just have to deal with this slippery sliding asstastic controls? I'd have never bought this mount if I had known it was going to control like this.
    Duder likes this.
  2. Herf Augur

Supposedly the mallard mount shakes more than the others. I presume it's supposed to be waddling like a duck :)

All mounts have buil in momentum so there's a very slight delay when giving control inputs, including stop and go.

Personally I use a Worg mount. Even on Agnarr this gives me Mount Azia buff which is fantastic for lower level characters.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Erekai Journeyman

Oh, no, please don't tell me this :(

I cannot think of a good reason why this is. This is infuriating to me and it makes me never want to use mounts. So basically what I'm hearing is that there's nothing I can do, and every mount just feels like absolute a$$ to control.

Great.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

It bothers me and I don't like using mounts for that reason. I do it anyway for the mana savings.
    Herf likes this.
  5. Herf Augur

The battle worgs from the store aren't horrible, though running them through a tight forest is annoying. I think the SK AA horse may have less momentum but I'm not positive.

Seriously though, look at the bright side; you helped out people who needed help with that donation to get the duck. Good on you. Plus those ducks aren't real common.
  6. Herf Augur

Out of curiosity, does the duck give the rider a buff?
  7. Erekai Journeyman

Unsure. I was a later donor, so I haven't received my duck yet, but I have seen so far 1 in game and it's truly majestic (and huge), but I didn't target the player to look for a buff. Someone else will have to chime in on that, if they know.
  8. SteamFox Augur

It does not.
    Herf and Erekai like this.
  9. Xeris Augur

I think bard speed mounts don't have as much deceleration time. Slower mounts suck
  10. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Mounts operate differently depending on if you are in combat or not. When not in combat, the mount has almost no delay when accelerating or stopping, but when in combat there is a significant delay in acceleration and deceleration. This is probably what you are experiencing when you say you are "sliding around on ice". I imagine this mechanic is there to help prevent or make kiting on a mount more difficult. If you are having this issue when not in combat, it could be related to a latency issue.
    Dre. likes this.
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I have noticed no difference at all between in-combat mount movement and out of combat mount usage. And my latency is just fine.
  12. Gnomie Denser than most

Can 100% confirm this. Got it, was super excited. Ran around the guild lobby on it for about 30 seconds and immediately banked it in disappointment.

I'm not sure who on earth thought it was a good idea to put a nauseating screen shake on random mounts. Mount mechanics should be standardized across the board to get rid of screen shake. I know absolutely zero people who like it, and a lot of people who refuse to buy certain mounts because of the shake.

When a stupid mechanic is costing the company money and makes players unhappy, it's time to fix the stupid mechanic.
  13. Erekai Journeyman

Man, this is sooooo disappointing to hear.

And yeah I can't think of a single good reason for the screen shake other than "lol it's more realistic, because, like, you're riding fast on something that's a little bumpy."

Nah man, get rid of that screen shake garbage *and* the sliding around on ice mechanic. Two things that make me very disinterested in using mounts, even if they have the meditation benefit. Terrible.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

Depending when you tested it, it may be better now
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/duck-mount-review-request.287140/#post-4183666
  15. Dre. Altoholic

Dismount if you need agility. Mount for runspeed/laziness. It's one button.
  16. ttobey Developer

The Duck run animation was smoothed out quite a bit for EQ1. It should be a pretty smooth ride now.
  17. Tucoh Augur

[IMG]

I don't know why DPG makes all these cool mounts that few people use because they built in an in-combat slide mechanic
    Kaenneth and Fanra like this.
  18. Appren Gnomercy

If you are doing something on a mount that require a lot of start and stop (like kiting with your necro/druid/whatever), I suggest strafe running. Mounts instantly stop when strafing, unlike when you run forward.
    Fenthen, Hdizzle and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  19. Dre. Altoholic

Trying to kite with a mount sounds like an exercise in frustration. Pretty sure the whole point of the start/stop mechanic was to prevent people from using mounts to kite.
  20. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I think pretty much all classes get a "leap" AA, like Necromancer's Whisperwind. As a necro I used Whisperwind AA while kiting mounted. It advances your character a distance and an immediate dead stop without dismounting (and this was before the mount handling buff modified years ago where it was waaaay worse) Whisperwind with a mob in Melee range moves you far enough away to land 2 casts before closure again.
    itzagame_m8s likes this.