whats up with zam?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by svann, Sep 21, 2018.

1. svann Augur

Lately its had horrible, horrible responsiveness. No exaggeration - its the worst on the web. Anyone from zam around to comment? I mentioned this a few months ago and was told they would have a fix in soon, but now its 10x worse.
    Vdidar likes this.
  2. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

We're running another spell update today (ran one yesterday) to fix some issues with some of the spells. The spell update is resource intensive due to the size of the spell table. One of these days I'll redesign it where it doesn't pull such a load on updates.

I've been talking to ZAM ops about all the performance issues. Today they are working on getting some cron scripts working that never got transferred over when we moved to a new server. Those cron scripts handle a bunch of stuff, including transferring items from lucy to allakhazam. Also they have been busy working on migrating the site off it's current host onto something much nicer that scales. Once they get that done, they'll work with me on finding and fixing slow loading database tables. I have a good idea what it is but I can't replicate on my dev environment due to me not having the same hardware and user load.
    TheQxx, Finnster, snailish and 3 others like this.
  3. Zamiam Augur

is there anyway to get rid of Ads ? also when im looking at spells (for example: i want to see bard lvl 80 thru 100) and I scroll down to lvl 100 spells and when i click on one then hit the back key to go to another spell it sends me all the way back to lvl 80 part and i have to scroll down all the way again to the 100 section ? anyway to avoid the rubberbanding
  4. Gialana Augur

A work-around that I sometimes use for these types of issues is to open a link in a new tab. On my browser, clicking the mouse wheel on the link will open in a new tab by default. Otherwise I need to right click the link and select "open link in new tab."
  5. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Hold down ctrl and click on the spell you want to look at, it will open another tab with that spell. Once you're done looking at that spell just close out the tab so you can go back to the spell listing where you left off. To get rid of ads, you can sign up for a premium subscription.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think the premium subscription is a GREAT value! A dollar a month or 9 dollars a year. Love Zam.
    Tierwyn, Zarzac, Aurastrider and 4 others like this.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Still looking forward to SSL because once you do it I can follow.
    snailish likes this.
  8. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

I talked to the lead engineer about that actually on Tuesday. He said he would at some point provide a timeline on when they are going redo the SSL cert for the server the item tooltips are hosted on. Since we just got our cron script issue taken care of today, I'll talk to them on Monday and see if they can fill me in on the timeline for the cert renewal.
    Fanra likes this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

uBlock works great. I never have issues with ZAM.
  10. fortuneteller Augur

Have to say that in the last month or more it has had some bad performance.

And it has been so, when you done some search, it has been taking like 10-20 sec first time, and after that it been a bit faster.

Atm, it actually shows up as faster than in prev month.
  11. Zamiam Augur

thx for the reply's .. i'll try subbing for a year to get rid of adds .. Zam is worth it .. ive sub'd a few times , but was awhile ago .. thx again
  12. Flatchy Court Jester

You wont regret it. Its a day and night difference I thought. If you trade-skill especially. Loads easier to get your recipes.
  13. svann Augur

Still really bad. If you did anything, it didnt fix it.
    edit: I am and have been subbed if that makes a difference to troubleshooting.
  14. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Ya I've been working with ZAM on daily basis about these issues. I know they are working on getting things ready for the migration over to the new data center and are probably annoyed I keep asking them to look into these things but I work on the site on a daily basis and experience this lag too and its annoying and I'm sure you all feel the same while browsing the site.

They did start providing me with a slow query log finally, however come to find out the lag is caused by a high load on mysql and not really caused by a particular db table, disk i/o is normal during these spikes so that's not the bottleneck. The entries in the slow query log are caused by the high load since the tables are small and any entries into them at other times doesn't cause any kind of load. I have just about all the database tables for the eq and lucy sites so I know which tables can be issues if a ton of people are hitting them. The server however is running 7 other allakhazam sites and some of them get high traffic like the eq site so we have to deal with those sites as well.

They have made some improvements over the past few days but there are still periods of the site lagging out, especially during peak traffic hours. I'll talk to them and see if they ever tuned mysql.
    snailish likes this.
  15. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

I just spoke with their lead engineer. He said they once they get the site migrated over, they will address performance issues. He said they were still on track to migrate over within the next few weeks.
    snailish and Fanra like this.
  16. Zamiam Augur

hmm I'm the opposite .. since i sub'd i have not experienced any more lag/performance issues .. web pages come up with no delay .. (knocks on wood)
  17. Aurastrider Augur

I get the random search delay here and there but have not noticed any issues that are earth shattering. I have been paying a sub for 2 or more years now and will continue to do so as long as they continue to keep the site up and I am playing EQ.
    snailish likes this.
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I typically don't have any problems, not subbed. About the only thing I do occasionally run into is ads covering part of the content with no way to remove it. This is generally on the right side; so I will have 3/4 of whatever I am reading but with a bunch of sentences cut off.
  19. Zamiam Augur

it was worth 9 bucks/year just to get rid of those ads .. Ty Zam
    Miss_Jackie likes this.
  20. svann Augur

What I am seeing is up to 30 seconds initial loading time and/or search. This unlikely to be anything on my machine as I do not see this on any other website I use. It is not always but often. Most often the first time I go to the site, and less so on later searches but still way too long to be a normal search time. It almost seems like zam closes down its database and only loads it when someone makes a request.

Honestly I dont see how other people arent seeing this as every time I raise the issue the people that work on it say they are working on the issue and to have patience. And its bad. Its bad enough that if there were any other choice I would stop using zam, but there isnt any other choice.