Whats the difference between Bots and Alts ?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Greymantle Augur

Alt= alternative character, BOT=robot type, controlled by software/scripts, not played by a person.
    As opposed to main= your main played toon. Alts are normally on the same account as your main.
    However these days it is very common for one person to have multiple accounts and run multiple 'main' type char. to create thier own groups. This is currently called 'boxing' .
  2. Lianeb Augur

So is it buff box?
    Or buff bot?
    Or maybe buffing alt?
  3. Cicelee Augur

My alt is my monk on the same account as my main.

My box is my bard on my second account that helps both my main and my alt when I duo.

I do not have a bot. But if I did, I am sure it would drink Dos Equis.

Stay thirsty my friends...
    Ibadan Kun'Tirel likes this.
  4. Stymie Pendragon

The only difference between bots and alts is that an alternate character is controlled by a human being. A "bot" is a ro"bot" and controlled by a computer. DBG officially sanctions either at this point from all reports. /shrug
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Scorrpio Augur

Bot generally means a character played via automated script. But in general, it is a character on a different account, that can be logged in at the same time as your main. An alt is typically a character on sam3 account, so you can play either that OR your main.
  6. svann Augur

Bot is short for robot. Not a tin man, but a character that is programmed to act without input from a living person.
  7. svann Augur

No they do not sanction bots, officially or otherwise.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

SHAH-MAN
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Historically, people have used bot/box interchangably. They no longer can be used this way. Boxing is 'okay'/legal. Botting is 'not okay'/illegal.

When people started using automation software that directly accessed and altered game engine data (the name of one such software example rhymes with Makkro Fest), people started using 'bot' or 'botting' to describe this type of cheating.

Boxing has many legal methods to achieve the end result. The defining characteristic that separates the two descriptions is: automation.

tl:dr Can the character achieve the action in-game without a human present at the keyboard? If yes, it's 'botting'.
  10. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

it's mehdisin mahn…. geeze….
  11. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

it's cute that you think, or act like you think, that hasn't been happening for the majority of this game's lifetime. some people cheat, it's what they do. the only difference between then and now is the response from the GMs.

even back 10+ years ago, basically every actual server first was had by someone using 3rd party software. the difference: back then dev's banned them and now they get ignored.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Cute? I wasn't even trying!!

"back 10+ years ago" ... kiddo, I've been playing EQ nearly since launch - that's 20 years ago. I'm old. When I say historically, it means back in 1999.
    code-zero and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  13. Crokker Lorekeeper

Would be nice in general if "botters" could just be given their own server. If DBG finds you using an unsanctioned 3rd party software (unlike~parse, gina, magelo, etc.), the next time you log in you find all of the toons on the account moved to the "Mecha-bot" server automatically.

Saves revenue and makes all the non-offending players happy that they are not being overrun by cheaters everywhere they go.